PDA

View Full Version : Uni of Calgary Academic Appeals

RSeXy
04-30-2003, 12:10 PM
As part of my final grade in a course I was required to hand in an essay. I found out my grade and I feel I should have received a better mark than I received...can I appeal this? How would I go about it?? Thanks for your help!

please note: I go to University of Calgary.

B17a
04-30-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by RSeXy
As part of my final grade in a course I was required to hand in an essay. I found out my grade and I feel I should have received a better mark than I received...can I appeal this? How would I go about it?? Thanks for your help!

please note: I go to University of Calgary.

IF it's a paper, you should talk to your prof first, I've found most to be quite reasonable. IF that fails, bribes may be a last resort!

:rofl:

RSeXy
04-30-2003, 12:25 PM
I have already e-mailed her. I tried the link to read up on the procedures for an appeal, but the URL was wrong?? If anyone has the proper URL please post it! Maybe I should begin to take Max_Boost, Melinda and TurboDSM's advice and apply to SAIT?

How is MRC? MRC would be my best bet b/c i could possibly continue my studies there and get credit for the majority of my courses taken at UofC.

B17a
04-30-2003, 12:28 PM
I have already e-mailed her. I tried the link to read up on the procedures for an appeal, but the URL was wrong?? If anyone has the proper URL please post it! Maybe I should begin to take Max_Boost, Melinda and TurboDSM's advice and apply to SAIT?

How is MRC? MRC would be my best bet b/c i could possibly continue my studies there and get credit for the majority of my courses taken at UofC.

Papers are so subjective though. If it was a true exam, you might have a tougher time. I think proper procedure is talk to your prof, then you elevate it to the dept. head I think....

RSeXy
04-30-2003, 12:30 PM
that's true!! I have to count on that!! I spent a good 1 1/2 months working on it. I'm so angry!! I think she's dinged me for my attendance which wouldn't be fair being as there was no marks for attendance anyways!! I believe I answered the question and developped my arguments concisely and clearly!! NO FAIR!! i'm so frustrated!!

Weapon_R
Emailing the professor wont do anything.

Go to her and talk about the paper. Ask her to regrade it. If that fails, you then need to talk to the department head, who will regrade the paper. This usually solves your problems. If not, take it to the dean of the faculty.

Make sure you know what you are going to say before you go to the prof's office. Saying "I think I deserve a better mark" isn't nearly good enough. You need to find out where she felt you lost marks, and explain otherwise. Usually, they are pretty reasonable.

girlRACER
You should try talking to your Prof in-person first. Make an appointment with her because the marks are not finalized yet so you still have time. If not, you should go talk to the Humanities Faculty Representative and she can help you process the academic appeal.

RSeXy
04-30-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Emailing the professor wont do anything.

Yes, I called her office and she wasn't in...so i e-mailed her requesting a time so that the two of us could discuss my paper at length. blah!! If i knew i'd get such a shietty mark than i wouldn't have spent so much freakin' time on it!! :banghead: :guns:

when is the date that marks become finalized?

B17a
04-30-2003, 12:32 PM
that's true!! I have to count on that!! I spent a good 1 1/2 months working on it. I'm so angry!! I think she's dinged me for my attendance which wouldn't be fair being as there was no marks for attendance anyways!! I believe I answered the question and developped my arguments concisely and clearly!! NO FAIR!! i'm so frustrated!!

She, huh? I guess you can forget my next piece of advice, which was to show some skin. Unless she's one of those profs...! ;)

Weapon_R
04-30-2003, 12:33 PM
lol i hear ya, I just got back an Econ paper (yes, we do have to write papers) and I worked my ass off for a B, I felt it was an A paper. His main argument was that it was too lengthy....but i'm too tired of school to argue it.

Weapon_R
04-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by B17a

She, huh? I guess you can forget my next piece of advice, which was to show some skin. Unless she's one of those profs...! ;)

Dr. CHLOE ATKINS :rofl:

RSeXy
04-30-2003, 12:40 PM

ugh! i hated ATKINS!! he was such an ass!! i was so afraid of him, i dropped his class and switched to Tracey's..

Melinda
04-30-2003, 12:43 PM
Yeah my teachers at SAIT are all pretty decent...haha come over to the dark side and join me, Sam and Dave at SAIT :thumbsup:

Mel

Weapon_R
04-30-2003, 12:44 PM

ugh! i hated ATKINS!! he was such an ass!! i was so afraid of him, i dropped his class and switched to Tracey's..

No no! There are two atkins.

The guy is the cocky one who is rude to all students and swears a lot...He's a department head of Econ.

There is a Law and Society dept head named Chloe Atkins, she's the lesbo :). If you had her, you coulda fixed things up real easy. She's been known to gawk and stare at times...

B17a
04-30-2003, 12:47 PM

No no! There are two atkins.

The guy is the cocky one who is rude to all students and swears a lot...He's a department head of Econ.

There is a Law and Society dept head named Chloe Atkins, she's the lesbo :). If you had her, you coulda fixed things up real easy. She's been known to gawk and stare at times...

I was wondering if they husband and wife, guess you answered that question!

Weapon_R
04-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Nope, not husband and wife.

Chloe Atkins has a wife at home, and so does the the Male Atkins :D

RSeXy
04-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
Yeah my teachers at SAIT are all pretty decent...haha come over to the dark side and join me, Sam and Dave at SAIT :thumbsup:

Mel

trust me! i'm seriously considering it! :)

Melinda
04-30-2003, 01:17 PM

trust me! i'm seriously considering it! :)
Haha I wasn't joking! You should totally come to SAIT. Despite what everyone says, it's actually a really great school! You could join Dave and I on our Monday lunches! :D Do they offer your program or one like it at SAIT?

Mel

RSeXy
04-30-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

Haha I wasn't joking! You should totally come to SAIT. Despite what everyone says, it's actually a really great school! You could join Dave and I on our Monday lunches! :D Do they offer your program or one like it at SAIT?

Mel

i doubt it!! i'm a french major, unless they offer translation courses?? i'm thinking i'll be like the french and give up! hahaha! *sigh*

Melinda
04-30-2003, 01:36 PM

i doubt it!! i'm a french major, unless they offer translation courses?? i'm thinking i'll be like the french and give up! hahaha! *sigh*
Hit the web site www.sait.ab.ca and go see if they have something. :)

Mel

Altezza
04-30-2003, 01:47 PM
Fighting a grade is much like trying to fight a traffic ticket...although you might be right, you have to go thru a bunch of BS and procedure to clear yourself. As long as your grades haven't been submitted, you'll have a better chance. Once your prof submits your grades, it's a mountian of paperwork to change it afterwards.

RSeXy
04-30-2003, 01:51 PM
aww fack!! b/c it is posted on infonet!! the course went as follows 20% for a resume of an article, 20% for a 15min oral presentation and 60% on a final essay...i did failry well on the presentation and the resume, so i couldn't really find out how i did on my essay until it was posted on the infonet. aie caramba! i should've just dropped the fricken' course.

max_boost
04-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Oh that sucks!!!
And nothing wrong with SAIT! It all depends on the program you want to be in!
And once the grade is posted like Altezza said, it is a very long process you have to go through to have it changed!! I don't think your prof would be too happy!!!

boi-alien
04-30-2003, 02:42 PM
bring the paper into her office. That's you're best bet, with papers there's a lot more leniency on the marking cause it's completely subjective and the prof can give you whatever she feels is appropriate. I've found that most profs are quite reasonable and are very willing to help you out. go talk to her make an appointment to talk to her or something. marks don't get finalized for a while

Davetronz
04-30-2003, 02:54 PM

We welcome you with open arms at SAIT Lynds!
And you can totally get credit for most of your past courses at SAIT! :D

Davetronz
04-30-2003, 02:55 PM

BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH
So I wasnt the ONLY unfortunate individual to have her....

Altezza
04-30-2003, 03:20 PM
2 things which easily irritates a prof:
1. Make them create a deferred exam
2. Make them change grades after they've been submitted.

max_boost
04-30-2003, 03:26 PM
yes, but the grade i received is irritating me much more...believe me!!

i hate french.

-RSeXy

Ashkente
04-30-2003, 04:49 PM
[B]

That's kinda funny :D He's a friend of mine's stepdad :rofl:

Also! Don't go to SAIT for CNT! (I know you're not, but as a grad, I can't say I'd recommend it :thumbsdow )

Davetronz
05-01-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Ashkente
Also! Don't go to SAIT for CNT! (I know you're not, but as a grad, I can't say I'd recommend it :thumbsdow )
... Why not?

Weapon_R
05-01-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Ashkente

Two cousins of mine graduated from that same field, and can't find jobs...it was a big waste of time!