PDA

View Full Version : I think I need some schooling on scenic shots

canadianx
10-09-2006, 07:06 PM
I was out today for a good chunk of time doing some pics out in the Elbow area. This is the first time I have really been out to get a lot of shots since I bought my Rebel XT. I was using the packed in lens 18-55mm for this task. What I seen through the view finder was just not what the camera seemed to take unfortunately.

They all seemed to lack a crisp or clear image on most of the pictures. I was using the auto focus for most of the shots and not sure if that has something to do with it. Maybe I was focusing on the mid ground that was too far away for this lens?

Do I need a better lens when doing shots like this?
Would anyone care to share what they usually use for settings etc?

Any pointers would be appreciated!

thanks

TurboMedic
10-09-2006, 07:17 PM
The camera will always show a scene differently than your eye. Thats just how your brain interprets what you see. Thats why most (if not all) photos don't take on the same as you imagined it would come out. Thats why you take lots of photos! Lots and lots! Plus, most of the pros use filters to get some semblance of a "natural" looking scene. Goto kenrockwell.com and look up his tutorial on filters....Even famous photogs like Ansell Adams took thousands upon thousands of photos, and was lucky to use a couple hun. Nature of the biz....Don't let it deter you though, practise practise and more practise, get used to using infinite focus points for landscapes, and get a polarizer to increase contrast and colour clarity. get some UV filters for haze....otherwise fool around with post processing, you can see what you need to modify next time to get the effect you want.....Also, try shooting in RAW/NEF instead of jpg, it allows you to change exposure values and white balancing after the fact. Otherwise good luck

canadianx
10-09-2006, 08:13 PM
As per your other reply as well:

"Like I said in the other thread you posted, it looks like you need to determine the infinite focus point of the lens you're using....there's tutorials on the web about it...that should fix up your "out of focus" areas.....Also, use a tripod, and stop down the aperture to increase your DOF. I noticd you were at f8, not too bad, never hurts to do more, and decrease your shutter see what happens. Oh, and use manual, not "landscape" program. learn your camera!"

I am quite new to a lot of the photo apsects so yes I am interested in learning and learning my camera as well!
- I always take lots of pics when I do go out
- I do use a polarizer filter
- Tripod I just added to my gear this morning.

Can you please describe "infinate focus point",
"DOF" OK I read up on these two and understand :)

What is F8 and how did you know I was "at it" :)

Thanks for the input I am greatful!

Ekliptix
10-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Go to Ap mode on you camera and move one of the buttons until the aperture # on the display or through the eye piece shows F8.
If you're not sure where the Aperture is displayed on your particular camera, I'd have a look at the manual.

You're definitely going to get sharper landscape pics at F8 then F3.5

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/16/Aperture_diagram.png

canadianx
10-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Ok I spent some time reading the manual as well as some pointers on the canon website and they seemed to be pretty helpful.

As far as the f/# goes I am in AP mode and my options range from 4.5 to 29 ! Are the range of these #'s determined by the lens you have attached at the time? Reason I ask is that my manual says from 1.0 to 91 but I cannot go lower than the 4.5.

So if f/8 is better for landscapes than f/3.5 then wouldn't a f/9 or f/10 be even better? Or is the 8 kind of a sweet spot?

In the future I promise to try to ask more intelligent questions or at least do the research a bit first haha.

Thanks for the tips guys.

lint
10-10-2006, 10:45 PM
max fstop is determined by the lens. The kit lens goes from f3.5 on the wide end to f5.6 on the long end. There is usualy a sweet spot on the lens, anywhere from f8-f16 When you stop down too much, you need to be aware of diffraction.

Here's a good article from luminouse-landscape
http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/u-diffraction.shtml

TurboMedic
10-10-2006, 11:12 PM
There are good books on the basics of digital photography. Any book on SLR photography would work, you just have to be aware of the differences like crop value and such. It would be very very good to read and learn the basics about shutter speed, aperture, focal lengths, focus points, and exposure. You'll get alot of enjoyment seeing all of it come together in your shots!

Ekliptix
10-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Also, to clarify DOF, usually a high DOF is desired in landscape images. Since F11 produced a higher DOF then at F3.5, that's another reason to be at F11 sometimes.
Typically the image will be shaper in the middle of it's Aperture range then at either end of it.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Try to find a book called "Understanding Exposure," it's highly recommended.

Ekliptix
10-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Or go to the U of C's Introduction to Digital Photography. I did.

Pihsiak
10-11-2006, 12:34 AM
A "Must Read"

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

Ekliptix
10-12-2006, 08:37 PM
moar
http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo/dof_myth/

canadianx
10-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks a ton for everyone's input. I can honestly say I learned more about my camera in the last two night learning the basics then I have in the last 3 months I have owned it :)

Now I hope for some good weather so I can try some basic techniques out thie weekend.

(Not sure I am ready for the Clarkevision one yet lol. All the conversion factors and equation solving I thought I was back in Calculus class haha.

Thanks again for all the great tips and directions to good sources

canadianx
10-15-2006, 12:31 PM
OK, I spent a good chunck of time tinkering with settings of aperature, shutter speed, exposure, depth of feild with tripod. And I am still completely unhappy with the shots I am getting w/ the kitted lens Canon EFS 18-55mm. (For taking wide scenic shots) I am actually more impressed with my cheap telephoto 55-200mm lens for this purpose.

So! I have to ask. How good is the 18-55mm lens that comes with the Rebel XT? I wouldn't think it would be all that bad.

- Is this a limitation of the camera?
- limitation of the lens?-
- limitation of the guy taking the pics?
- Are there lenses better suited for this purpose at a resonable $$

Anyway any other suggestions, please throw them my way. I am off to do some more experimenting :)

Davan
10-16-2006, 12:59 PM
That lens is horrible at 18mm. It's also not very good below f5.6

I just picked up the 10-22, for the sole purpose of landscapes and automotive. :thumbsup:

canadianx
10-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Davan, I checked out your website and you have some stellar work there! Are any of those pics with the 10-22mm lens?

Looks like a 17-40mm lens gets a lot of good reviews. (It's on sale too :) Any opinions on that lens?

What is the lowest mm lens I should go with versitility in mind?

Thanks for the heads up.

Davan
10-17-2006, 11:12 AM
I don't yet have any 10-22 examples. Haven't had a lot of time with it yet.

The 17-40L is a great piece of glass.

Also consider the 17-85 for a decent all purpose lens.

D'z Nutz
10-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by canadianx
Looks like a 17-40mm lens gets a lot of good reviews. (It's on sale too :) Any opinions on that lens?

If you're not in any rush to get one, I may be selling my 17-40L next month or the month after.

Ekliptix
10-18-2006, 12:09 AM
I had pretty good luck with the 18-55mm at 18mm.