PDA

View Full Version : Updated: New 2008 Nissan GTR Spyshots And Video!

Pages : [1] 2

Zephyr
10-09-2006, 08:00 PM
http://news.windingroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/skyline-1.jpg

The enthusiast world has been waiting for the next Nissan Skyline for some time now, particularly American enthusiasts, who are set to get their first factory-sanctioned taste of the performance legend when it makes it into US showrooms for the first time.

Looking very close to the sensational GTR-Proto concept shown back in 2005 at the Tokyo Motor Show, the 2008 Skyline appears to be in its final stages of development, as evidenced by these KGP Photography shots of the car caught testing at the Nürburgring.

While all previous Skylines were sedan-derived, the new model will reportedly gain its own two-door architecture, which bodes well for the car from a performance standpoint.

Prevailing rumors have the car taking on a 3.8-liter twin-turbo V-6, itself derived from the engine in the 350Z. Power bogeys put the mill in the range of 450 horsepower and 370 pound-feet of twist. In true Skyline fashion, the car will be all-wheel-drive, with a further evolution of the GT-R’s electronic ATTESA ET-S torque-sensing system, tied into a four-wheel steering system.

All of which should be good for a 0-60 miles-per-hour time of well under 4 seconds, and a top speed somewhere on the ambitious end of 180 mph.

Interested parties might want to start inquiring with their local Nissan dealers now.

http://news.windingroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/skyline-2.jpg
http://news.windingroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/skyline-3.jpg
http://news.windingroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/skyline-4.jpg
http://news.windingroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/skyline-5.jpg

http://news.windingroad.com/auto-news/caught-2008-nissan-skyline/

looks so hoot!

4doorj
10-09-2006, 08:06 PM
:love: :love:

retro-steve
10-09-2006, 08:07 PM
too bad it'll be at least $80,000 :(

BerserkerCatSplat
10-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by retro-steve
too bad it'll be at least $80,000 :(

Bam, right into Z06 territory.

Boosted_TL
10-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Damn thats fucktastic! Sooo nice. I bet its gonna have the hawtest exhaust note!

al-ti2d
10-09-2006, 08:19 PM
mmm... thats just sexy:hitit:

a.z13
10-09-2006, 08:19 PM
http://seriouswheels.com/top-2005-Nissan-GT-R-PROTO-Concept.htm (http://http://seriouswheels.com/top-2005-Nissan-GT-R-PROTO-Concept.htm)

Heres some pics without those stupid coverings.

Boosted_TL
10-09-2006, 08:21 PM
^^ Link doesnt work! Please dont tease me like that again...

:rofl:

DGill
10-09-2006, 08:23 PM
wow thats nice :hitit: :clap:

Zephyr
10-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by a.z13
http://seriouswheels.com/top-2005-Nissan-GT-R-PROTO-Concept.htm (http://http://seriouswheels.com/top-2005-Nissan-GT-R-PROTO-Concept.htm)

Heres some pics without those stupid coverings.

thats the proto..

this one here is near finial product

Evro
10-09-2006, 08:25 PM
that dont like nothin like the older generations, i personally dont like it too much and think $80 000 is ridiculous,
R33 ftw!!!

Zephyr
10-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Evro
that dont like nothin like the older generations, i personally dont like it too much and think $80 000 is ridiculous,
R33 ftw!!!

thats the average price of a skyline new back in the days...

Canmorite
10-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Man this car is gonna be killer:D

BigMass
10-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Problem with the Japanese sports cars they price themselves right in German and Corvette territory. Hmmm i can buy this "Nissan" or i could by this "Z06, Porsche Cayman or the new M3"

Just like the NSX, it will sell to enthusiasts and nobody else. Would have been nice if they put that performance inside a less expensive package like Subaru and Mitsu have done with their "supercar performance rivaling" breadboxes. Affordable performance.

I have a feeling this new wave of Japanese performance cars will suffer the same fate as they did back in the 90s with the RX-7, Supra and 300zx

BTW, Killer car IMO!

95EagleAWD
10-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
Problem with the Japanese sports cars they price themselves right in German and Corvette territory. Hmmm i can buy this "Nissan" or i could by this "Z06, Porsche Cayman or the new M3"

Just like the NSX, it will sell to enthusiasts and nobody else. Would have been nice if they put that performance inside a less expensive package like Subaru and Mitsu have done with their "supercar performance rivaling" breadboxes. Affordable performance.

I have a feeling this new wave of Japanese performance cars will suffer the same fate as they did back in the 90s with the RX-7, Supra and 300zx

BTW, Killer car IMO!

Quoted FTW!

MackDawg
10-09-2006, 10:01 PM
The cockpit looks like they just dropped something on a 350Z and put in squarer windows and a flater roof.

IMO peace

Marc.

dennisaur
10-09-2006, 10:08 PM
fuck that car is HOT.

Xtrema
10-09-2006, 10:11 PM
IMO, selling as Nissan is a mistake. Should've been a Infiniti to command that price. And if I'm paying that price, I'll expect Infiniti level of service.

As for the car itself, if the new 07 G35 is any indication, Nissan has a long way to go before they can match the Europeans.

Hoey
10-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Their not trying to make an appealing new car man, their trying to continue on the life of a beast we find appealing...
IMO it should be a Nissan.
Looks sick, anyone know if its for sale in NA?

tentacles
10-09-2006, 10:15 PM
What "new wave"? This is the only one that anyone's seen! There's no new Supra, no new NSX and no new RX, there's only this 350z with a rice spoiler...I mean, Skyline and that Lexus LFA that no one has ever seen IRL. :D

Zephyr
10-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Hoey
Their not trying to make an appealing new car man, their trying to continue on the life of a beast we find appealing...
IMO it should be a Nissan.
Looks sick, anyone know if its for sale in NA?

yea.. the skyline family hasn't been the prettiest, or the most luxurious, but it has been a high end performing beast, which nissan is still staying true to it's original idea.

blinkme_210
10-10-2006, 01:08 AM
Ooooooooooo that looks good. Maybe this will be the car that will bring me back to the JDM side.

max_boost
10-10-2006, 02:08 AM
It's a HOT car. The power numbers are definitely there. It's just going to be very difficult to justify spending $80K+ on it.

A790
10-10-2006, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
It's a HOT car. The power numbers are definitely there. It's just going to be very difficult to justify spending $80K+ on it.

0-60 in under 4 seconds in justification to me.

95EagleAWD
10-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by A790

0-60 in under 4 seconds in justification to me.

The problem is a Viper will do that, and a Viper has a much bigger name/influence in NA than the GT-R.

djayz
10-10-2006, 07:27 AM
car looks better here than the concept pics but needs something better than the g35 wheels and i think its a :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
10-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

The problem is a Viper will do that, and a Viper has a much bigger name/influence in NA than the GT-R.

But a viper isn't AWD.

If it's pricetag is inline with a Viper, or Vette, and I had that kind of disposable income, I'd be dropping it on the Nissan.

heavyD
10-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

But a viper isn't AWD.

If it's pricetag is inline with a Viper, or Vette, and I had that kind of disposable income, I'd be dropping it on the Nissan.

I would too as these cars are going to sell in NSX type miniscule numbers which will make them rare. It looks like a nice car but I wish Nissan would pay more attention to making the more affordable 350Z more than just a spinoff car rather than make a Japanese supercar that nobody will buy.

spyce
10-10-2006, 09:56 AM
That car is going to look dead sexy in black. More so if they decide to go with those carbon fibre pieces on the front bumper

01RedDX
10-10-2006, 11:15 AM

Sprinter
10-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Thats :bigpimp:

mroseneder
10-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Bigger.. Badder... G35.

sputnik
10-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Not a huge fan of the RX8 style front fender vents. Would have been much nicer to that smoothed out with the rest of the body lines.

guessboi
10-10-2006, 06:05 PM
:love: :love: :love: I am loving it!

scat19
10-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Dont know what to think, need to see it in PERSON :thumbsup:

andyg16
10-10-2006, 07:12 PM
thats hawt :hitit:

turab16
10-10-2006, 10:55 PM
i love the skyline, i love nissan, I love nissan , I love Nissan

BUT

I love RWD (z06) , I love Horse power (505bhp z06),
I love speed ( 198mph top speed z06), I love torque (470 lb-ft)

for same price 80k ish............ you be the judge..........

does anyone really think that the skyline would be able to take on the z06?

95EagleAWD
10-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by turab16

does anyone really think that the skyline would be able to take on the z06?

Nope.

andres_mt
10-10-2006, 11:22 PM
It's true that the car will appeal to a small group of people. But I think the car has a really good stock power rating and I bet it handles well..not amazing but well. In the end we ALL are going to be jealous of the NEW skyline owners. :cry:

95EagleAWD
10-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by andres_mt
In the end we ALL are going to be jealous of the NEW skyline owners. :cry:

I wouldn't go that far. I'll be interested to see how they perfrom before I start worrying about them on the road course.

crazydriver
10-11-2006, 12:11 AM
OMFG!!! *heart attack.. that's a beauty

KLCC
10-11-2006, 12:40 AM
it looks like its only a 2 seater.....:(

dudeman
10-11-2006, 01:18 AM
lets just hope it doesnt slip like the last gen. Platform sharing went too far there, many suspension and frame components were from the nissan truck/suv platform. Not light weight and not high performance. Never again!
:guns:

Sunburst_Spec_V
10-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by KLCC
it looks like its only a 2 seater.....:(

Looks like a 2+2 to me??

heavyD
10-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by andres_mt
In the end we ALL are going to be jealous of the NEW skyline owners. :cry:

I don't think I've ever been jealous of anyone that owned a Nissan.

T78Supra1
10-12-2006, 03:23 PM
This whole comparison between Z06 to the GtR is stupid.

The Skyline will be a completly different drive....
It has the power of a corvette with the handling of a Lotus, this car will feel like an Audi S4 on Steroids (All wheel Drive Baby)

This car will be the first true Muscle Car that can be driven in the winter.

I think the only real compitetion this car has is the RS4 and they appeal to two different people.

The Skyline will be one of a kind, and if it ends up being a 2+2 then i am totally going start saving up.

So what if it is slower then a viper, let wait to look at lap times, if lotus is behind the suspension then i expect crazy lap times.

heavyD
10-12-2006, 03:59 PM
I'll take an RS4 over the Skyline any day of the week. I'd prefer the 8200 rpm redline V8 & the quality interior of the Audi.

DoubleLP
10-12-2006, 04:09 PM
The Skyline is a nice car...but the $80K + price tag puts it out of reach of most enthusiasts. I doubt anyone here who has a Skyline now would be trading in for that one. I for one would not want the $1000 + monthly payment. Nevermind how much gas that thing will eat and the insurance will be through the roof.

And honestly....who in there right mind would drive that in the winter?? I sure as hell wouldn't. The last thing I would want is to slide into someone or have someone slide into me. Sales will be good because they will not make many...but it will be one of those cars that you see here and there...such as the Viper, or a Ferrari, etc.

msommers
10-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by DoubleLP
Nevermind how much gas that thing will eat and the insurance will be through the roof.

who in there right mind would drive that in the winter?? I sure as hell wouldn't. The last thing I would want is to slide into someone or have someone slide into me

Dude, you need to stop talking and listen to yourself. Think about it. I'll go slow. You just spend 80+ on a vehicle that is going to be used in the summer only, on purpose. Now if you have the kind of money to drop on a car that you will drive for maybe 6 months at most a year, the last thing you care about, is gas mileage is.:banghead: The same goes for the insurance.

Originally posted by heavyD

I've never been jealous of anyone driving a neon, but that is not to say that the SRT-4 is a laughable car. You sound totally bias to the situation. heavyD, have you ever driven a GTR? Don't choose sides when you have no idea what it is like to have tried both.

I agree with T78Supra1 in that comparing these cars is ridiculous. It's like comparing a drag car to a circuit car and asking which one is better. Lap times, 1/4 mile times and 0-60-0 times could all be used to figure out which one has the edge over the other, no just one of them.

I'm a fan of the car, everything except the front. It's the same as the 350z front styling, too much bulging! The rest looks nice and as always, has the signature tail lights!

Hollywood
10-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
IMO, selling as Nissan is a mistake. Should've been a Infiniti to command that price. And if I'm paying that price, I'll expect Infiniti level of service.

As for the car itself, if the new 07 G35 is any indication, Nissan has a long way to go before they can match the Europeans.

That's what I said a year ago. Nissan dealerships are not qualified to handle a GTR owner.

I think they were much better than the europeans years ago, they just lost it.

The viper has a miniscule amount of influence compaired to the hugely famous skylines. That is one of the most stupid things I have heard in a long time.

Originally posted by dudeman
lets just hope it doesnt slip like the last gen. Platform sharing went too far there, many suspension and frame components were from the nissan truck/suv platform. Not light weight and not high performance. Never again!
:guns:

Agreed. A little sharring is fine.

Originally posted by T78Supra1
This whole comparison between Z06 to the GtR is stupid.

I don't think so. If the price is close it'a all fair game IMO. You know car and driver is going to put them together for a shootout EAST vs WEST! type shit.

Personally Im a tad disapointed i was a big fan of the concept and this seems watered down. It looks like they took a G35 and the new mustang and made the skyline. Im a fan but still disapointed at it's blandness.

A790
10-12-2006, 08:28 PM
The styling sits well with me. Aggressive enough to remind me that its a 450 HP car, but subtle enough that I can enjoy the aggressive undertones without a two foot wing in my face.

I do hope that they drivetrain sticks to the traditional Skyline's style- turbo, AWD, and light weight. If Nissan can pull it off it might actually do well in North America, especially since the name Skyline has a lot of brand recognition here and bringing it to NA will launch a huge media hype.

However, at $80,000 plus for the car they are SEVERELY limiting their market. Would I buy one? If I had the money, sure. But that's the catch... if I had the money. If it were $40,000 I'd be much more apt, but a double that... well, there's got to be a line drawn at some point.

RiCE-DaDDy
10-12-2006, 09:41 PM
The styling sits well with me. Aggressive enough to remind me that its a 450 HP car, but subtle enough that I can enjoy the aggressive undertones without a two foot wing in my face.

I do hope that they drivetrain sticks to the traditional Skyline's style- turbo, AWD, and light weight. If Nissan can pull it off it might actually do well in North America, especially since the name Skyline has a lot of brand recognition here and bringing it to NA will launch a huge media hype.

However, at $80,000 plus for the car they are SEVERELY limiting their market. Would I buy one? If I had the money, sure. But that's the catch... if I had the money. If it were $40,000 I'd be much more apt, but a double that... well, there's got to be a line drawn at some point.

buddy, lightweight is not in the skyline's style lol

gpomp
10-12-2006, 09:52 PM
the r34 gtr was $80k brand new 8 years ago.

you guys expect a 500 hp, 180+ mph car to go for $40k? yeah right.

silver_gs-R
10-12-2006, 10:07 PM
WoW now thats sexxiness!!!

Hash_man
10-12-2006, 10:14 PM
I think it looks pretty good, from what I can see it looks a lot like the concept pictures looked like.

IMO I agree with others that for the price it should definately be marketed in north america as an Infiniti, just like the NSX was marketed as an Acura instead of a Honda, it just doesnt make sense... that is the reason those divisions were created, as a place to sell higher end, higher price-tag vehicles.

And so many people are making judgements on the performance of a car thats specs havent even been released yet, that is just stupid. There have been speculations as to what type of engine it could be using, but no one knows for sure yet what it is.

dansmith11
10-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

The viper has a miniscule amount of influence compaired to the hugely famous skylines. That is one of the most stupid things I have heard in a long time.

in north america the skyline is famous among people who cant afford one.

just becuase everyone on car forums drools over high end JDM cars, i think most people who have 80k + to spend on a car dont know or care what a skyline is

but everyone knows what a viper and a corvette are.

when a skyline rips by, lots of people ask what was that, when a corvette rips by everyone knows.

would be interesting to see though how it stacks up to a zo6 though in terms of performance

Hollywood
10-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by dansmith11

just becuase everyone on car forums drools over high end JDM cars, i think most people who have 80k + to spend on a car dont know or care what a skyline is

when a skyline rips by, lots of people ask what was that, when a corvette rips by everyone knows.

would be interesting to see though how it stacks up to a zo6 though in terms of performance

Uhhh im compairing the world....not just canada and the us. And 100% without a dought the skyline is more famous.

msommers
10-12-2006, 11:37 PM

Uh dude, do you even know what famous means? A civic is famous, vanilla ice is famous, your mom is famous, but doesn't mean any of them are good.

fa‧mous 
–adjective
1.having a widespread reputation, usually of a favorable nature; renowned; celebrated: a famous writer.

Do you honestly think that people who own GTR's dream about getting a viper or corvette? Probably not!!!!

Zephyr
10-13-2006, 01:41 AM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/GeneralFuture/articleId=117104?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

VIDEO! :thumbsup:

dansmith11
10-13-2006, 04:29 AM

Uhhh im compairing the world....not just canada and the us. And 100% without a dought the skyline is more famous.

uhhh the guy you quoted and said was the stupidest thing you'd read said the viper was more famous in NORTH AMERICA.

hence my comment that in NORTH AMERICA, the viper and the vette have more fame then the GTR.

Originally posted by msommers
[B]
Uh dude, do you even know what famous means? A civic is famous, vanilla ice is famous, your mom is famous, but doesn't mean any of them are good.

faˇEmous 
ˇVadjective
1.having a widespread reputation, usually of a favorable nature; renowned; celebrated: a famous writer.

Do you honestly think that people who own GTR's dream about getting a viper or corvette? Probably not!!!!
[B]

and you, your straight up retarded. haha, when did i say people who have GTR's want corvettes? or that corvettes are better?

all i said was that in NORTH AMERICA, more people reckognize a corvette then will reckognize a GTR, didnt say anything about the performance or quality of either car. so im not really sure what your even talking about, or why you posted a definition of the word famous, all i said was that the corvette is probably more renowned in north america then the skyline is, seems that it fits your definition pretty good man.

heavyD
10-13-2006, 08:39 AM
I've never been jealous of anyone driving a neon, but that is not to say that the SRT-4 is a laughable car. You sound totally bias to the situation. heavyD, have you ever driven a GTR? Don't choose sides when you have no idea what it is like to have tried both.

I never said anything about laughable cars. When I think of Nissans I think of Japanese cars with worse than domestic reliability. Hard to justify spending all that cash knowing at the end of the day that you just purchased a car that elicits drools from 16-35 year olds that can't afford it and 'nice rice rocket' from people that can.

Crymson
10-13-2006, 08:59 AM

This is really true.

I drive a 3rd gen rx-7 and out 10 people, 6 don't know what it is without looking at the badge, 3 people will think it's a c5 covette, and 1 (usually a younger male, or an older car enthusiast) will know it's and FD.

The people with 80k to spend on a car, will bet a BMW, Benz or Jag, because they're trying to impress their other friends with 80k cars, they're not going to want to show up in a Nissan.

The only people who are goign to buy these are goign to be under 35 professionals, able to obtain alot of financing, or fell into a pile of cash, because they're not trying to impress 50-60 year-olds. Only the y, or hip x gen's are going to be impressed in any real sense other than "neat car".

Hash_man
10-13-2006, 09:07 AM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/d...photopanel..1.*

VIDEO!

Damn, nice find... it looks fast. And testing it against a 911 turbo sounds like theyre aiming high. Sounds like a turbo v6 to me.

heavyD
10-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
The people with 80k to spend on a car, will bet a BMW, Benz or Jag, because they're trying to impress their other friends with 80k cars, they're not going to want to show up in a Nissan.

The only people who are goign to buy these are goign to be under 35 professionals, able to obtain alot of financing, or fell into a pile of cash, because they're not trying to impress 50-60 year-olds. Only the y, or hip x gen's are going to be impressed in any real sense other than "neat car".

Bingo. The Skyline is a young person's wet dream car that carries a rich man's price tag. The people that truly covet the car will never be able to affort it. Sure some rich kids and wealthy SCC enthusiasts will purchase them as a toy but it will sell in lower numbers than Vipers & Corvettes as most people in Texas and southern states don't even know what a Skyline is.

Hipermax_d
10-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
the r34 gtr was $80k brand new 8 years ago.

the r34 was more around the 50k region
im pretty sure ppl who owns a gtr would eventually tune it

T78Supra1
10-13-2006, 10:25 AM
One thing that everyone has to remember 450 hp in 2008-2009 is nothing special any more

2007 BMW M3
Dodge Charger SRT-8
Audi RS4
Z06 Corvette
M6
M5
2008 Camaro
2007 Mustang Shelby
Porshe 911

Sp really the Skyline as for power will be nothing special, to win me over it will have to handle like a Lotus Elise :love:

4doorj
10-13-2006, 10:31 AM
450hp:drool:

still something special to me
:drool: :drool:

Eleanor
10-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by T78Supra1
One thing that everyone has to remember 450 hp in 2008-2009 is nothing special any more

AWD is pretty sweet.

msommers
10-13-2006, 11:18 AM

nd you, your straight up retarded. haha, when did i say people who have GTR's want corvettes? or that corvettes are better?

all i said was that in NORTH AMERICA, more people reckognize a corvette then will reckognize a GTR

This true and sorry I misread your post and for that I'm sorry. I think for the shear fact that getting a skyline into the US previously was a giant pain in the ass, people didn't want to bother with the hassle. I think given the chance now, the buyers with that kind of budget will be able to drive the vehicle and realize the kind of car they have been missing! It's true not too many rich dudes even know of skylines and don't sit on forums either. Doesn't necessarily mean they will turn a blind eye in favour for a corvette when the GTR gets here. At any rate, as it sites right now, in NA, yes I would agree that more people know of the corvette than the GTR.

msommers
10-13-2006, 11:23 AM

I never said anything about laughable cars. When I think of Nissans I think of Japanese cars with worse than domestic reliability. Hard to justify spending all that cash knowing at the end of the day that you just purchased a car that elicits drools from 16-35 year olds that can't afford it and 'nice rice rocket' from people that can.

You are still obviously stuck in your sturbborn ways. Try finding a mint condition 1969 mustang fastback with 50,000 geniune km's and using the same comparison, it's ridiculous. Just because it is an old car doesn't mean it's a piece of crap. And I'm pretty sure that NO ONE will be elicting drool when people see a neon.

As for nissans being less reliable than a dodge, give me some serious facts and then I'll admit to crap like that.

b_t
10-13-2006, 04:52 PM

You are still obviously stuck in your sturbborn ways. Try finding a mint condition 1969 mustang fastback with 50,000 geniune km's and using the same comparison, it's ridiculous. Just because it is an old car doesn't mean it's a piece of crap. And I'm pretty sure that NO ONE will be elicting drool when people see a neon.

As for nissans being less reliable than a dodge, give me some serious facts and then I'll admit to crap like that.

HeavyD's car has zero to do with this, nothing at all... he's totally right. Most of the people who are well off enough to buy this car, are in their late 30s and older... and since they've never played Gran Turismo and haven't had a sport compact in years, they don't know what a Skyline is!

They will go for recognizable standbys of the expensive, fast car segment - M3s, Vipers, Corvettes, and so on... not a $80,000 nissan. I still think its a sweet car, though.

Crymson
10-13-2006, 06:01 PM
At least if it was branded as an infiniti it would have somewhat of a recognizable predigree in N.A. to justify the price.

I see 5 g35 coupes for every 1 350z downtown, and the 1 350z is always a young guy who looks like he just happened to afford the 350, and the g35's are usually late 30's looking to middle aged.

Hollywood
10-13-2006, 07:05 PM
V6???? WHAT!:thumbsdow :thumbsdow Im disapointed they already cut corners. The car should have been twin superchared v8 (as described at earlier power plant estimates). Then add a stage 2 pulley kit offered by the nismo lineup at the dealership ala SRT4 w/ecu, injectors. I think I need to be the CEO of Nissan dammit!

I thought my heart for the RS4 was stolen from the GTR, but without 8 cylinders my lust has fallen back to my 1 true love...."Ahhhhh RS4'sie you'll take me back wont you? I only looked at another car....just to see whats under the hood.....I never drove it, honest!":cry: :cry: :thumbsup:

A790
10-14-2006, 10:27 AM
V6???? WHAT!:thumbsdow :thumbsdow Im disapointed they already cut corners. The car should have been twin superchared v8 (as described at earlier power plant estimates). Then add a stage 2 pulley kit offered by the nismo lineup at the dealership ala SRT4 w/ecu, injectors. I think I need to be the CEO of Nissan dammit!

I thought my heart for the RS4 was stolen from the GTR, but without 8 cylinders my lust has fallen back to my 1 true love...."Ahhhhh RS4'sie you'll take me back wont you? I only looked at another car....just to see whats under the hood.....I never drove it, honest!":cry: :cry: :thumbsup:

A V8? As if they would put a V8 in it... what Japanese manufacturer makes a performance V8 anyway? I think Toyota has one in the Tacoma or something, but that's not exactly an engine I'd want in my sports car.

I think a TT V6 suits the bill just fine. Especially if it has the same power potential as the RB26DETT.

msommers
10-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Top Secret's guy Smoky nagata has a 4.5L V8 in his skyline! Has set some pretty impressive records as well.

The only V8 I can think of that Nissan even has is in the titan, and if they put another truck motor in a sports car in NA again:banghead: :whipped: :guns:

Rumors are starting already that Nissan is thinking of making a 450z with a V8 but no confirmation of production yet.

Nissan should honestly stick with the inline 6, they had a good thing going and then toasted the idea. The engine better come with at least one turbo!

arian_ma
10-14-2006, 11:08 AM
skyline seems to have lost its way imo in terms of styling at least...sure its got the 4 trademark lamps on the rear end but it doesnt feel very skyline to me...all the other ones actualy had a relatively long nose and look a bit lower overall. Im nto really feelin the styling of this thing but id say for sure once i see a few on the roads

andres_mt
10-14-2006, 01:42 PM
I think the silver is not its best representation...I wanna see a sporty blue or a black pic of the car:thumbsup:

KenP
10-14-2006, 02:24 PM
arian_ma I agree, it looks to much like a G35/350z IMO. As for the engine I don't think it will be as tuneable as the RB26DETT? Or am I wrong?

Hollywood
10-14-2006, 03:34 PM

A V8? As if they would put a V8 in it... what Japanese manufacturer makes a performance V8 anyway? I think Toyota has one in the Tacoma or something, but that's not exactly an engine I'd want in my sports car.

I think a TT V6 suits the bill just fine. Especially if it has the same power potential as the RB26DETT.
Nissan quoted originally it was going to possibly have a v8. Porche, Ferrari, Lambo's, TVR, Aston martin, etc all performance vehicles, all use/used V8's.

Time to get schooled.

NISSAN:

Nissan made a 8cyl motor with engineering derived from F1 race engines. VH45DE generates 278 hp at 6000 rpm and 292 lb-ft at 4000 rpm with a redline of 6900 rpm used in the more popular known car as the Q45.

Some of the pertinent features of the VH45DE are:

- Forged steel crankshaft.
- Forged steel connecting rods.
- 6 Bolt main bearing caps with studs.
- Full-length main bearing cap girdle.
- Lightweight, floating pistons with molybdenum coating.
- Sodium-filled exhaust valves.
- Cross-flow cooling system.
- Hydraulic lash adjusters.
- Single-row silent timing chain.
- Coil-on-plug ignition system.
- Roller rocker arms for reduced friction.
- Variable Valve Timing.
- Redline of 6900 rpm.
- Compression ratio of 10.2 to 1.
- Bore of 93 mm and stroke of 82.7 mm.
- Dimensions: 890 mm(L) x 740 mm(W) x 725 mm(H).

The throttle body for the Q45 is also famous. Used in many high hp applications. It's so popular that Greddy uses it on their intake manifiold for the toyota Supra .

TOYOTA:

The light-alloy-block 1UZ-FE debuted in 1989 for the first generation Lexus LS 400 and Lexus SC with an output of 173 to 180 kW (232 to 241 hp) and torque of 350 N·m (258 ft·lbf).

Later, Toyota's VVT-i variable valve timing technology was introduced in the market with Lexus LS 400 in 1998 — the first application of this technology, providing a slight increase in power and torque.

The 1UZ-FE was voted to the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 1998 through 2000.

Applications:

Lexus LS 400
Lexus GS 400
Lexus SC 400
Toyota MR2 Le Mans Car
Toyota Crown

Newer Generation.

The 3UZ-FE is a 4.3 L (4292 cc) version built in Japan. Bore is 91 mm and stroke is 82.5 mm. Output is 216 to 224 kW (290 to 300 hp) at 5600 rpm with 441 N·m (325 ft·lbf) of torque at 3400 rpm. It has an aluminum engine block and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. It uses SEFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder with VVT-i. A version of this engine is used in Toyota's Super GT race cars.

Applications:

Lexus LS 430
Lexus GS 430
Lexus SC 430
Super GT
Toyota Supra GT500 Race Car
Lexus SC 430 GT500 Race Car

There was room for a V8, Nissan let us down IMO, they did not want to pay to play which will now show the short commings of the new skyline. If they were really serious, their would have been a v8 with FI. One can build a 350z with a turbo kit and out speed a new GTR for a fraction of the price. Yea nissan....:thumbsdow

Originally posted by arian_ma
skyline seems to have lost its way imo in terms of styling at least...sure its got the 4 trademark lamps on the rear end but it doesnt feel very skyline to me...all the other ones actualy had a relatively long nose and look a bit lower overall. Im nto really feelin the styling of this thing but id say for sure once i see a few on the roads

I agree totally.

Originally posted by KenP
arian_ma I agree, it looks to much like a G35/350z IMO. As for the engine I don't think it will be as tuneable as the RB26DETT? Or am I wrong?

No, your right. Too much aluminum. The VQ35DE is far from the iron horse RB26DETT.

Hollywood
10-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Im not saying it's not a nice a car, but it could have been so much better. With the scaling of the GT-R's, the r34 was a masterpiece. There was momentom to to create something even more impressive than the R34. But someone in the nissan control room pushed the "CHEAP OUT" button.\:guns: :thumbsdow

The only V8 I can think of that Nissan even has is in the titan, and if they put another truck motor in a sports car in NA again:banghead: :whipped: :guns:

Ford did it with the Ford GT, its a truck engine. It works out when properly done.

A790
10-14-2006, 03:40 PM
LOL I never said that V8's weren't used in sports cars there bud, I just said that the Japanese don't make a V8 for them.

Name one Nissan currently available with a V8 in it? Wait... wait... let me guess... it's a truck!

Hollywood
10-14-2006, 03:43 PM
LOL I never said that V8's weren't used in sports cars there bud, I just said that the Japanese don't make a V8 for them.

Name one Nissan currently available with a V8 in it? Wait... wait... let me guess... it's a truck!

Are you stupid or cant u read?

Relook at my post on page 2. DRRRRRR..

dino_martini
10-14-2006, 04:34 PM
I like the look, but it will definitly be expensive..dealer markup probably.

smontyLS1
10-14-2006, 05:11 PM
r34s were $89 500 USD
http://www.supercars.net/cars/1397.html

This is a trademark car
It SHOULD be NISSAN, it should be turbo, it should be awd,
So I think they have the right idea here.
and it should spank a lot of cars out there.

How many other cars come close to the bang for the buck of a corvette?

andres_mt
10-14-2006, 05:26 PM

Well yea most ppl I meant except YOU people. lol jk

A790
10-14-2006, 06:29 PM

Are you stupid or cant u read?

Relook at my post on page 2. DRRRRRR..

lol my bad; i never read most of the post.

Canmorite
10-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Movie said "Some sort of automatic gear box, possibly paddles"

It better come witha 6-speed option:guns:

SI_futbol
10-15-2006, 10:37 AM
wheres the viddeo

dino_martini
10-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by SI_futbol
wheres the viddeo

second page..why not just look?

Originally posted by Zephyr
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/GeneralFuture/articleId=117104?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

VIDEO! :thumbsup:

95EagleAWD
10-15-2006, 12:21 PM

Are you kidding me?

Go ask someone who's in that 85K range of buying a new car and see if they've ever heard of a Skyline.

Probably not. They'll be looking at Vipers, Vettes, Caymans etc...

A790
10-15-2006, 12:44 PM

Are you kidding me?

Go ask someone who's in that 85K range of buying a new car and see if they've ever heard of a Skyline.

Probably not. They'll be looking at Vipers, Vettes, Caymans etc...

The Skyline has a lot more influence in Europe, Australia, the Middle East, and Asia. North America is really the only market where the Skyline is relatively unknown to buyers in that price range.

That being said, of course a Viper has more brand recognition in North America among it's target market. But, to people 28 and under, I'm positive that the Skyline has just as much, if not more, recognition and appeal.

So, this brings me back to my earlier statement: Nissan is pricing this a bit too high...

Hollywood
10-15-2006, 03:50 PM

The Skyline has a lot more influence in Europe, Australia, the Middle East, and Asia. North America is really the only market where the Skyline is relatively unknown to buyers in that price range.

:werd:

codepoet101
10-15-2006, 05:02 PM
yeah nissans do have v-8s smooth haha. maybe they will put it in the skyline they did it with the 240sx maybe to ridiculous, awesome as it would be. it would need a twin turbo system too

95EagleAWD
10-15-2006, 05:26 PM

That being said, of course a Viper has more brand recognition in North America among it's target market. But, to people 28 and under, I'm positive that the Skyline has just as much, if not more, recognition and appeal.

So, this brings me back to my earlier statement: Nissan is pricing this a bit too high...

I agree that Nissan is pricing this way too high.

People under 28 don't shell out 90 grand on cars.

msommers
10-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by smontyLS1
r34s were $89 500 USD
http://www.supercars.net/cars/1397.html

Amount sold of R34's sold from 1999-2002: 64 623 units

1997 Dodge Viper GTS: 66,000 USD

Amount sold from 1996-2002: almost 10,000 units

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible: 44,900 USD

Amount sold from 1997-2002: Could not find sufficent data. Amount made in 1997 was almost 10,000. So times 7 years, ~ 70,000 units

I think it's fair to say that price has nothing to do with it so for all those who say "well guys with $85 000USD are going to turn a blind eye because it is a Nissan" are just ignorant in their own thinking. How successful is the Corvette? It's still a Chevrolet! Which is the same class as nissan, dodge, toyota, honda etc. Not a premium brand like Lincoln, Cadillac, Acura, Infiniti, BMW, Lexus etc. If the skyline was available to the NA market, it could have done exceptionally well, even more so than it already did. One could also argue that per capita, the corvette is more successful in selling cars. However, it is half the price of that of a skyline.

This has nothing to do with performance of said vehicles but the amount sold for what price.

I can source all those numbers for you if you really want but I pulled the prices off of supercars.net and production numbers off of wikipedia. The corvette prodcution numbers were off of a corvette car club.

95EagleAWD
10-15-2006, 07:28 PM

Amount sold of R34's sold from 1999-2002: 64 623 units

How many of those were GT-R models?

ICEBERG
10-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Very nice... But i allready put a deposit on the RS4.:D

msommers
10-15-2006, 11:59 PM

How many of those were GT-R models?

All of them according to the wikipedia data.

b_t
10-16-2006, 09:04 AM

All of them according to the wikipedia data.

nissan definitely did not sell 65,000 GT-Rs in three years.
You can't compare a Skyline to a Corvette. Corvettes have been around since 1953 and are an American icon.

Also, I am fairly sure that the Skyline isn't that popular in Europe either. It was an import there too, Nissan didn't sell it in the dealerships. I mean, watch the episode of Top Gear where they go to Japan and then he is explaining what a Skyline is. Then he calls it ugly. The car is not going to do as well as everybody thinks.

They don't have the 4 door versions of the Skyline anymore to inflate sales numbers. They will be lucky to sell 5,000 a year, I'd say.

benyl
10-16-2006, 10:59 AM
There is no way there was 64,000 R34 GTRs produced. Those numbers are a pipe dream.

Nissan makes another V8 car. The Infiniti M45.

I think the price should be higher. It is an exclusive car. Not everyone should be able to buy it.