PDA

View Full Version : Insurance question...

ballanation
10-09-2006, 10:36 PM
k on saturday night i was backing out of a parking stall, i didnt see this guy and i hit him
there was no damage on my car but there was a little bump on his front fender
what would the insurance say if we went through insurance?
i heard it was 50/50 in parking lots..but i was clearly at fault here.. i think? so then what happens? i said i would pay for everything and there would be no need to go thru insurance.. but i dunno? any suggestion guys? thanks

idriveabox
10-09-2006, 10:47 PM
same scenario happened to my g/f as she was hit by a guy backing out.

They settled it 50/50. A lazy adjuster will go 50/50, however, you are at fault.

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-09-2006, 10:48 PM
it's gonna be 50/50

Cowtown_Raider
10-09-2006, 10:55 PM
if it's your fault, I say pay for it yourself and keep insurance out of it.

99atlantic
10-09-2006, 11:16 PM
50/50

if you're a sadistic bastard, claim that he backed up *into* you. that's generally what happens - no way to prove it.

ballanation
10-09-2006, 11:20 PM
if i go through insurance my dad's premium will go up right?
because it was his car i was driving...
well basically i know it was my fault but i dont want his premium to go up and also because the kids' mom was a bitch when i talked to her and i dont really wanna do shit for them. That also convinced me that i may not be completely at fault like i first thought haha..it's not much damage at all but i am just struggling right now and i dunno...i just wanna know the best thing to do in my situation..

WWJAI
10-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by ballanation
if i go through insurance my dad's premium will go up right?

Most likely it'll be 50/50 and your dad's insurance won't go up for sure depending if he has one free-fault on his policy which allows you to have one accident (your fault) without your premiums going up.

403Gemini
10-09-2006, 11:37 PM
lol dont listen to these goombas

parking lots are NOT instantly 50/50

Question is, were you backing out the same time he was and your 2 bumpers collided? if so, yes 50/50 as long as both parties were in reverse

However if he was in the lane, you backed out and hit his side, then you are 100%.

By you saying front fender, then i assume he was in the lane, and you ARE 100%.

Anybody want to dispute this with me, id gladly go into it ;) Who is your insurance company and who is the other parties?

WWJAI
10-09-2006, 11:39 PM
^ but you can always BS and make up a story since he probably had no witnesses

403Gemini
10-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI
^ but you can always BS and make up a story since he probably had no witnesses

and if the investigation can prove otherwise a note goes to the underwriters and your broker and you can be charged w/ insurance fraud

not worth it, trust me

or at the very least, premiums take a huge hike

edit: im also interested, what story would you make up? "A t-rex was after me so i had to reverse SO quickly that id idnt see the car behind me, i hit his fender, but the loud noise from the collision made the t-rex run away!!! ZOMG" :rolleyes:

ballanation
10-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Question is, were you backing out the same time he was and your 2 bumpers collided? if so, yes 50/50 as long as both parties were in reverse

However if he was in the lane, you backed out and hit his side, then you are 100%.

Anybody want to dispute this with me, id gladly go into it ;) Who is your insurance company and who is the other parties?

ok gemini u seem the most informed so ill direct my questions to u if u dont mind..
ok so it was 100% my fault i guess..
but we didnt call the cops or anything so what do u think would happen if i did this: tell the woman to settle and split the costs 50/50 without going thru insurance? if she doesnt agree i guess we'll have to take it to insurance..but the thing is there were witnesses but i had some as well and i can get them to say whatever in my favor...i kno this is bad but im desperate..

outsider
10-10-2006, 12:10 AM
403Gemini is 100% correct. you were the backing car, the other party was not. you will be found 100% at fault. The only way it could/would be settled 50/50 is if both parties were backing out.

Trust me I was a claims adjuster for 3 years.

Supa Dexta
10-10-2006, 07:26 AM
Desperate or not, your at fault, man up...

403Gemini
10-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by ballanation

ok gemini u seem the most informed so ill direct my questions to u if u dont mind..
ok so it was 100% my fault i guess..
but we didnt call the cops or anything so what do u think would happen if i did this: tell the woman to settle and split the costs 50/50 without going thru insurance? if she doesnt agree i guess we'll have to take it to insurance..but the thing is there were witnesses but i had some as well and i can get them to say whatever in my favor...i kno this is bad but im desperate..

if she agrees to settle 50/50 privatly, thats her perogative. you better hope she doesnt know its not 50/50 though lol.

If its a small dent i would suggest dealing with it privatly because unless your insurance has (i believe) a 39f on it (ill check when i get to work) your insurance rates CAN go up.

edit: yeah its a 39f, accident forgiveness, but you cant add it onto your policy, it gets put there. you need to maintain an 8 star rating

99atlantic
10-10-2006, 11:08 AM

and if the investigation can prove otherwise a note goes to the underwriters and your broker and you can be charged w/ insurance fraud

and how can is proved otherwise. My dad was sitting parked in his car and some lady drove right into him. She was all appologetic, saying it was clearly her fault, etc.. etc..., then 2days later she turned around and claimed me dad had hit her while she was parked.

No witnesses+no pictures+no proof of any kind = 50/50 in the parking lot.

Masked Bandit
10-10-2006, 12:59 PM

if she agrees to settle 50/50 privatly, thats her perogative. you better hope she doesnt know its not 50/50 though lol.

If its a small dent i would suggest dealing with it privatly because unless your insurance has (i believe) a 39f on it (ill check when i get to work) your insurance rates CAN go up.

edit: yeah its a 39f, accident forgiveness, but you cant add it onto your policy, it gets put there. you need to maintain an 8 star rating

Underwriter or broker????

To add to this....403Gemini is 100% correct. My suggestion would be to get out your chequebook and pay up. Be as nice as you can. She has all the control in this situation. Be grateful she is willing to deal with this outside insurance.

idriveabox
10-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Which is why I said "a LAZY" adjuster will go 50/50

Gemini is right, but without a witness, good luck for the party you hit. Dont be a dick, just pay for their damage.

leec001
10-10-2006, 01:20 PM

100% correct

403Gemini
10-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by 99atlantic

and how can is proved otherwise. My dad was sitting parked in his car and some lady drove right into him. She was all appologetic, saying it was clearly her fault, etc.. etc..., then 2days later she turned around and claimed me dad had hit her while she was parked.

No witnesses+no pictures+no proof of any kind = 50/50 in the parking lot.

call the police, no matter what, i dont care if its less than 1000. if the cops ask say "I'm pretty sure it is" even if its a small dent

then make sure you get a written statement and your bases are covered. NEVER take a persons word for it

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Underwriter or broker????

LOL adjuster ;)