PDA

View Full Version : Oil rig work?

verybaddkitty
10-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Does any one know of any companies hiring now? I have sent out some resumes already, but no one has called...yet. Any advice would be great, Id like to be working on a rig by the end of the month.

No rig expereince yet, Im a 3rd year automotive service tech, but the money isnt cutting it here (working in Edmonton) gotta pay the bills right.

10-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Theres a thread in this section that lists all of the companies, it would be safe to say that there are plenty of jobs, and would not be to hard to find one.

Take your resume in yourself and see if you can get an interview while your there, that would be your best bet. Are you a girl by any chance? That could possibly be the reason. Sorry if your not a girl I'm just going by your name:nut:

verybaddkitty
10-10-2006, 04:58 PM
LOL, not a girl. Name is in honor of my girlfriend. She found this site for me.

Black Gts
10-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Ive been talking to alot of companies, and most of the rigs are not running right now, They are slowing down at the moment, they should be starting back up in a month or so....... Check the other thread for company info etc..... But be prepared to wait at the moment..

adamc
10-10-2006, 05:31 PM
you will _not_ get a job right now as a new rig hand with no experience.

I have 3+ years of exp. and am trying to get back to work on the rigs for a few months while I switch careers, and I am sitting at home right now, frustrated as hell with the oil companies dropping rigs to reorganize for the winter drilling season. :guns:

There is a huge thread about rig jobs on beyond, check the companies listed there in the next month or two.

Clever
10-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Precision just shut down a lot (all?) of their rigs too, but if you can wait a month or two I bet your phone will start ringing.

Black Gts
10-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by adamc
you will _not_ get a job right now as a new rig hand with no experience.

I have 3+ years of exp. and am trying to get back to work on the rigs for a few months .

haha I know, I have a couple months from last winter, I know its not nearly as much as you, But anyways I quit my job mid september, thinking I would be out in a couple weeks.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TrevorK
10-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Why not just get a general labourer job with the union?

I'm not sure how hard it is, but I've been offerred them by buddies. 23.xx/hour + 120 (Or so) living allowance....

accord885
10-11-2006, 08:27 AM
PD isn't all shut down... 255 was running on sunday, moving on tueday and will be drilling again by the weekend.

verybaddkitty
10-11-2006, 11:07 AM
A few months huh. Thats shitty. Oh well.

I guess Ill keep pluggin away where I am for now then.

adamc
10-11-2006, 12:19 PM
pray for cold weather

verybaddkitty
10-11-2006, 05:05 PM
How cold? Im originaly from Kelowna, Im already shivering in my boots man.

Why the increase in production in the winter?

Tha VZA
10-11-2006, 05:40 PM
^^^^ natural gas is stupid low right now...once it gets colder that will go back up because well, people will need heat

oil is also low right now because of the OPEC bs going on right now, uncertain outcome etc.

service rigs/service companies will be busy and are busy to complete the holes already drilled, but the drilling will be put off for like another 2-3 weeks i figure, then BAM....non stop until april

ciao

Oldskool
10-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Untill the price of gas goes back up, you will not get a rig job with out experiance.

i dont know if thasts been said cuz as soon as i saw you thread title i thought of this.

msommers
10-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by verybaddkitty
How cold? Im originaly from Kelowna, Im already shivering in my boots man.

Why the increase in production in the winter?

Kelowna eh, you're going to get shock. Bundle up BC boy, it's gonna be a long ass winter for you!

The reason for the increased production in the winter is that vehicles can get around with the ground being frozen ie. winter roads. Thats why not a lot gets done in the summer because everything is just a huge wet mess. The horseflies around the summertime just add to the experience!

Audio_Rookie
10-12-2006, 06:07 PM
I was at nabors drilling in nisku yesterday. The chick offered me a job on the spot. Another guy with 0 experience got a job right there 2. He just had his H2S and passed a piss test and physical.

go to Nabors. I havnt decided if im gonna go with them yet, trying to get on at trican as a fracturer first.

Audio_Rookie
10-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Kelowna eh, you're going to get shock. Bundle up BC boy, it's gonna be a long ass winter for you!

The reason for the increased production in the winter is that vehicles can get around with the ground being frozen ie. winter roads. Thats why not a lot gets done in the summer because everything is just a huge wet mess. The horseflies around the summertime just add to the experience!

ya, when I was on the service rig every 4-5 days something would get stuck. The rig got stuck when we moved, the pump truck after the rig, the 5 ton sunk over night to the point you couldnt see the tires all around, that was annoying to dig up with a shovel....

rain killed everything. 1 day we got a bobcat to come in and run some tracks and pack down the mud though and then everything was cool.

Tha VZA
10-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Audio_Rookie
rain killed everything. 1 day we got a bobcat to come in and run some tracks and pack down the mud though and then everything was cool.

most companies now will hire a tractor with a blade/dozer with a blade to be on lease "on call" and take care of the lease, i think in 16 days the last lease i was on got bladed like 9 times

ciao

Black Gts
10-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Oldskool
Untill the price of gas goes back up, you will not get a rig job with out experiance.

i dont know if thasts been said cuz as soon as i saw you thread title i thought of this.

I dont believe that has alot to do with it????( i really hope not), This is just a shuffle period for most companies...Ihave already been offered jobs, but I was told to wait until late October/early November....If you call Champion in Brooks, or Precision, at the end of the month you'll leave right away. With champion you dont even need youre h2s to start.:thumbsup:

verybaddkitty
10-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all your input.

verybaddkitty
10-13-2006, 08:02 AM
what's fracturing?

adamc
10-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Nevermind!

awd
10-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by adamc
basically, sending charges down hole to fracture a formation so that production of the target reservoir can occur.

Look it up..

charges? C'mon man, don't give the guy misinformation. if you mean "perforations" -- that happens before they frac via wireline perforating or tubing conveyed perforating.

For a "Frac", specially engineered fluids are pumped at high pressure and rate into the reservoir interval to be treated (read noobs: zone of interest, ie. where the fucking oil and gas is), causing a vertical fracture to open. The wings of the fracture extend away from the wellbore in opposing directions according to the natural stresses within the formation. Proppant, such as grains of sand of a particular size, is mixed with the treatment fluid keep the fracture open when the treatment is complete. Hydraulic fracturing creates high-conductivity communication with a large area of formation and bypasses any damage that may exist in the near-wellbore area.

In laymans terms: Fracturing makes the holes I made with my perf guns larger/deeper.

adamc
10-13-2006, 06:48 PM
my mistake, yes I meant perfing which is different from the fracturing proceedure, which is eloquently explained above.

Audio_Rookie
10-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Good explanation AWD. we had a wireline perforate on the service rig I was on once. They poured concrete first and then sent down that big perf gun and made everyone turn off there cellphones and stuff and then BAM!!! ground shook and there was a bunch of holes in the casing 20 meters higher than the previous opening in the casing. And then the fracturing crew came in....and...well...."made the perf holes bigger" in a sense I guess anyways, deeper for sure to cover more volume.

If I cant do fraccing im gonna go cementing, late hours, but better $$$.

I go for my air endorsement tommorow and I do the written portion of my class 1 sunday. The operations manager at trican said to come back and talk about me working there after I get the written part of class 1 and air endorsement. Cause then I can atleast drive a big truck as long as someone with class 1 is in the truck.

I have heped a wireline company perforate and calfrac do a frac in the past so I know how things work.....atleast to some extent.

riander
10-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Its all about who you know!
i know so many people who got hired on brand new because their friend worked on that rig/crew
if you dontknow someone, its really hard to get on.
and make sure you have the right training/certificates before you apply as well!

adamc
10-13-2006, 06:55 PM
what does an experienced frac dude make?

I mean, the rigs are still up there in pay scale compared to most of the service companies.

Audio_Rookie
10-13-2006, 07:51 PM
seems a first year fraccer that has his class 1 makes about 70-80k gross as an average. 70ish seems to be common for wireline as a first year....gross.

Trican does 2500/month guaranteed salary. And bonuses for every job completed, usually in the 200$ region per job. This seems like a common pay set-up for most fraccers.

You make more money as a roughneck, a little more anyways. But fraccers, cementers, wireline...all service company guys are usually home every night and dont work near as hard.......your driving most of the time, and you have 2 people carry each pipe lol.

Wireline was pretty easy, connect like 5 joints and set up a pully system, winch up the joints and let it go down....

fraccing...we had to change the bop stack when they came (probobly not common) and they had cranes with them and hammer wrenches that made that easy....set up a couple joints and hoses to the well head, start the pump and sit back while it pumps in the fluid.

I also noticed there was no real "Tool Push" type supervisors on the wireline crew of the Fraccing crew. By that I mean no one on the crews was getting screamed at and called a fucking maggot and stuff......

Audio_Rookie
10-13-2006, 07:55 PM
seems a frac supervisor makes anywhere from 110-140k. and cement supervisors make 130-150 region.

although seems you can be a cement supervisor within 1-2 years...3-4 seems common for fraccers but I might be wrong on that. My buddy did it in 1 year (cement supervisor) and now works 1 month on, 1 off and makes 80,000US/year....He works in south america....company flys him in and out and hes on call 24/7 1 month on, 1 off. He only actually works 3-4 days a month though lol.

fast&dangr
10-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Tha VZA
^^^^ natural gas is stupid low right now...once it gets colder that will go back up because well, people will need heat

oil is also low right now because of the OPEC bs going on right now, uncertain outcome etc.

Um, natural gas is REASONABLE right now, not stupid low. And oil is still in the nosebleeds. Oil companies will persure all avenues of production above $40 oil.

Tha VZA
10-14-2006, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by fast&dangr

Um, natural gas is REASONABLE right now, not stupid low. And oil is still in the nosebleeds. Oil companies will persure all avenues of production above $40 oil.

that's your opinion, i'll take mine

stupid low = lowest it has been in awhile, which it is...

yes oil companies will pursue above $40/bbl....i know that....however when oil was ~$72/bbl...that was more nosebleed than the current ~$58/bbl

agree?

ciao

johnboy27
10-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Audio_Rookie
seems a frac supervisor makes anywhere from 110-140k. and cement supervisors make 130-150 region.

although seems you can be a cement supervisor within 1-2 years...3-4 seems common for fraccers but I might be wrong on that. My buddy did it in 1 year (cement supervisor) and now works 1 month on, 1 off and makes 80,000US/year....He works in south america....company flys him in and out and hes on call 24/7 1 month on, 1 off. He only actually works 3-4 days a month though lol.
Don't go cementing unless you like working late nights and being on call all the time. I work frac and am garanteed 55,000 a year even if I was to do no jobs. I will however make a minimum of 70-90 thousand per year and the work is nowhere near as hard work as roughnecking. You very rarely get yelled at. It is pretty decent work,I like it. You travel alot,probably spend more time driving than you actually do fraccing.
My company is pretty slow right now,hopefully it picks up soon though.

verybaddkitty
10-23-2006, 09:52 AM
so, anyone know if things are picking up yet..?

Rockski
10-23-2006, 11:16 AM
too warm

blueToy
10-23-2006, 11:53 AM
so, anyone know if things are picking up yet..?

I find this funny . What , you living is a hole or something ? Have you tried to contact someone ? And if so , why aren't you asking them ?

verybaddkitty
10-23-2006, 12:32 PM
not living in a hole, weather is different in different places. Maybe warm in calgary, but colder than the north pole where the rigs operate. I have not contacted any companies yet, I am waiting till I complete my tickets. Thanks for your invaluable insight!

blueToy
10-23-2006, 01:09 PM
not living in a hole, weather is different in different places. Maybe warm in calgary, but colder than the north pole where the rigs operate. I have not contacted any companies yet, I am waiting till I complete my tickets. Thanks for your invaluable insight!

Hey , you're unwelcome :thumbsup: Oh , and good luck when you get that rig job in the North Pole . Say hi to Santa for me .....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

verybaddkitty
10-23-2006, 01:19 PM
:zzz: