PDA

View Full Version : new system

fordman363
10-10-2006, 10:12 PM
i just put a sony xplod 12" 1300 watt woofer in a ported box in my truck. im runnin it off of a 1200 watt sony xplod amp and an alpine deck. this hits harder than anything ive ever heard. a buddy of mine has 3 12s and u could even hear them over this. its pretty sweet. wut do yall think about it?:eek:

hifiguy
10-12-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm glad you like your new stereo. If you think it is kick ass loud, try testing it with an SPL meter and let us know what you are hitting in DBs. I'm curious as to what kinda output the sony xplode product is capable of. Enjoy listening. BTW you should give more details as to the equipment in your buddy's ride with the 3 twelves. Sounds like he needs it redone or rewired. Maybe one out of the 3 twelves is out of phase.

ogpog
10-12-2006, 11:26 AM
lol at this thread. Its all about the 3000W (190w rms) pyramid amps.

soupey
10-12-2006, 11:36 AM
its hard to believe one 12" is gona kill 3 12's, and if it is, i wouldnt place my bets on xplod products, that and the fact that if ur running it that loud all the time, im SURE ur suffering with poor sq, likely very distorted loud bass, the "1200w" sony xplod amp is likely only putting out at MOST 500wrms...and even at that its probably very distorted if ur running it that high, i'd say it cud prbably run 350-400wrms nicely...

if u like it, kudos to u, but the fact that 3 subs can displace much more space than 1 makes me skeptical that ur friends subs are quieter than yours...unless they're some xscargo/walmart brandname...

take some pics of ur system, put some model #'s down, put ur friends specs down, thats the only way to really compare the two

WWJAI
10-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Its quite believable that 1 12' sub can outpower 3 12' subs. Example. One 12' Type r sub compared to 3 12' Type E subs. Its just a matter that his friend probably has 3 really really shietty ass low-bass producing subs that arn't even run off a good/powerful enough amp for the 3 subs.

soupey
10-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI
Its quite believable that 1 12' sub can outpower 3 12' subs. Example. One 12' Type r sub compared to 3 12' Type E subs. Its just a matter that his friend probably has 3 really really shietty ass low-bass producing subs that arn't even run off a good/powerful enough amp for the 3 subs.

yea but...type e's are what....200rms each sub (lets suppose they're aquedately powered), soo ~600rms coming from 3 12" subs, think about how much air your displacing air with 3 subs rather than one. the pure volume of air is what determines how low and how loud your subs will sound...above that we're talking about an overrated xplod sub/amp combo....sooo i have my doubts

dont believe me? read this.

"Subwoofers are usually thought of as having large 15" or 18" woofers, but we chose 12" woofers for the SF22SP. This was because a pair of twelves can actually outperform a single eighteen," explained Gerald Tschetter, Director of MI Marketing at JBL Professional. "How low and loud a speaker can play is determined by one thing - how much air it can displace, which is determined by the area of the speaker's cone times the maximum distance the cone can travel. A pair of 12" speakers actually displaces more air than a single, comparable 18" speaker."
http://www.jblpro.com/pressroom/SF_Sub/sf_sub.html

so his subs might be powered at 500rms with that amp (being generous with that), fact is he has 1 12" sub gives him (6)^2(pi) = 113sq inches of area that will be displacing air, multiply that by 3 and u have the surface area in his friends car (339sq inches), there would be a HUGE difference in sq and how low the subs really hit...even if its power rating is lower...his friend must have something wired wrong. could be the difference between having the sub in the cabin of a truck vs the trunk of a car....ported/bandpass vs sealed box...or jus that his friend with the truck has noname speakers that are basically jus for show...