PDA

View Full Version : Snowboard lessons

streetdreams
10-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Is COP a good place to take lessons or is there any other places in calgary that have instructors?

mo_money2supe
10-11-2006, 01:40 PM
I took it there some 7 or 8 years ago. At the time, they had the best prices around town. I thought it taught me well, but I also knew others who didn't learn a thing from them. I think it really depends on you as a learner to get the best out of it. But all in all, I'd say go for it at COP.

T78Supra1
10-11-2006, 01:46 PM
I learned there awhile back they have to kind of cources the beginner course which is awesome. Allot better then SunShine or Nakiska.

Also i just took the Novice Burton Course at COP it was awesome they teach you how to pipe and Rail also take video's of you so they can show you what you need to work on.

I thought it was awesome

Lo)2enz0
10-11-2006, 01:59 PM
teach yourself, most instructors are idiots and teach you how to turn using weight transfer. you should be using your heels and toes.

just hit up the bunny hill for a day and you should have it down.

stevieo
10-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
teach yourself, most instructors are idiots and teach you how to turn using weight transfer. you should be using your heels and toes.

thats what i did, just kept going on the bunny hills/novice/beginners/bronze level places

kept falling on my ass, then I slowly stated to learn how to do heel toe carving - i still suck but im getting better slowly.

bulaian
10-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by stevieo

thats what i did, just kept going on the bunny hills/novice/beginners/bronze level places

kept falling on my ass, then I slowly stated to learn how to do heel toe carving - i still suck but im getting better slowly.

:werd: same thing I did too

dino_martini
10-12-2006, 04:34 PM
I started at COP but I personally recommend you do this if you can. Go out to Lake Louise and get lessons there, way better snow and when I took lessons there I thought the instructors were some what better then at COP.

Wear your helmet and all the shit, you will spend most of your first lesson on your ass.

Crymson
10-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Yah, anyone without a helmet is a moron, on any hill. Especially at COP, it's like falling on concrete. I took a spill last year at COP, and i can garuantee you that without my helmet, i would have faced unconciousness and a severe concussion.

snowboard
10-12-2006, 04:45 PM

what do you do to turn curl your toes??
(no im not an instructor haha)
I transfer my wieght?
Weight on my front foot, leaning forward pushing my backfoot backwards to get on my toe edge, then i lean back put weight on my front foot push my back foot forward and lean back more..
i think thats how i do it?
i've bashed my head sans helmet too much so i dnt know for sure haha.

just wear a helmet or you will regret it.

A_3
10-12-2006, 05:04 PM
It's not a bad place to get a grasp of the basics. I.e. Standing up, side slipping/snow plowing, and stopping. But don't expect much more. Snowboarding is one of those things, the more you do it, the better you'll get. I've known people to get carving down in half a day, and others in half a season.

I suggest sticking with it though, it's a blast once you can ride well. I brought my board into my room the other day... i'm unbeliably stoked to ride this winter!

Hash_man
10-12-2006, 05:38 PM
COP isnt a bad place to learn, I took lessons there about 8 yrs ago and they helped a lot... But their private lessons are much better than the group lessons if you're willing to dish out a bit more cash. IMO cop is a better place to learn than the mountains cuz if you hate it you probably won't have wasted nearly as much cash.

A2VR6
10-12-2006, 11:34 PM
I took lessons at COP last year and it wasnt too bad... but I only really learned how to board after a day to sunshine and me just learning by trial and error.

slammed_cb7
10-12-2006, 11:47 PM

Shut your face Larry!! You snowboard like a girl, or atleast you did last time you went in grade 9!!
I have been an instructor/ ruff ryders coach at COP for the last 3 years and i still think it is worth it. If you are a young adult male ( wild guess) then you should learn quickly. Take a group lesson if you want to save some cash, but an hour or two private lessons should be all you need. Once you get the hang of basic mobility and side slipping, you are good to go. the only major problem people have is that they don't kno what to do from the beginning, they fall alot, get frustrated/injured and quit. One poor kid broke both wrists last year at 14 years old. Askin your mom for help wiping your ass would be weird, but what else are you gonna need help with if that is you??

streetdreams
10-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Actually I have been riding for about 6 years but my girlfriend is starting to get into the sport. I have taken her out a couple of times to teach her but i do not have the patience. Has any one taking the Burton women’s course at cop?

Lo)2enz0
10-16-2006, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by slammed_cb7

Shut your face Larry!! You snowboard like a girl, or atleast you did last time you went in grade 9!!
I have been an instructor/ ruff ryders coach at COP for the last 3 years and i still think it is worth it. If you are a young adult male ( wild guess) then you should learn quickly. Take a group lesson if you want to save some cash, but an hour or two private lessons should be all you need. Once you get the hang of basic mobility and side slipping, you are good to go. the only major problem people have is that they don't kno what to do from the beginning, they fall alot, get frustrated/injured and quit. One poor kid broke both wrists last year at 14 years old. Askin your mom for help wiping your ass would be weird, but what else are you gonna need help with if that is you??

you guys are all basterds, picking at my posts all the time

but no i don't snowboard like a girl and yes, every instructor i ever head was a retard, not saying you are bryan.

CivicTunr
10-29-2006, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by slammed_cb7

okay lets face it, maybe he snowboards like a girl, but probally you ride like a girl compared to someone else, dont bring his skills into it, he was just saying it was a trail and error basis. which is true, learn the basics from the "instrutors" or so they liked to be called at cop, and than do the rest on your own, oh i'd suggest learning out at the mountains, theyre snow is softer, and doesnt hurt as much.