PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Question

max_boost
10-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Noob question :D

Looking at a set of these http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Koni&model=Sport+Suspension+Kit

It says: Front dampers are externally adjustable. Rear dampers are standard adjustable.

So the fronts are adjustable with the knob? Correct? What about the rear? What does 'standard adjustable' mean? Is there an optimal setting just for daily driving?

Thanks.

dj_honda
10-11-2006, 08:20 PM
where does it say that? i just see externally adjustable?

one set of konis is externally adjustable, commonly known as "yellows".

koni "reds" are still adjustable, but they have to be off the car. you put one end in a vice, and then compress the shock and turn it to adjust.

max_boost
10-11-2006, 08:32 PM
It's on the right hand side. :D

max_boost
10-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Ahhh looks like I found the answer.

Adjustability: Unlike most, all KONI shocks/struts/inserts are adjustable. KONIs are either Standard adjustable or Externally adjustable. Externally adjustable dampers ensure trouble-free adjustability, utilizing an adjustment knob that fits directly on the top of the damper, and KONI aims to provide externally adjustable dampers whenever possible. Unfortunately, the design of some vehicles make it impossible to physically access an adjuster on the car, or have mounts that prohibit the use of an externally adjustable damper. In these cases, the shocks/struts/inserts are still adjustable but must be removed from the car to do so.

2m0a0x2
10-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Yup. The ones that are "standard" you have to compress them fully, and then turn it to adjust stiffness.

ACS-e36
10-12-2006, 08:22 PM
if i remember correctly this kit uses Vogtland springs. they should be OK. but DEFINITLY not my first choice.

max_boost
10-12-2006, 10:04 PM
^^^

So the springs aren't manufactured by Koni? According to the website they are 'Koni Sport Springs' haha OH well. If it doesn't work out, Ill change it to a Eibach or H&R spring :D

So far so good though, the car looks awesome, love the rake look. Just need the rears to settle a bit more now. :bigpimp:

Have to give :thumbsup: to Tunerworks who had the parts in stock and another :thumbsup: to TireCraft who basically fit me in last minute and gave me a ride to work too.

Pics will be up tomorrow!:drama: :goflames:

max_boost
10-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Well after driving it for a few days, the front is fucking slammed compared to the rear. I haven't driven a car this low in over 4 years and I've already scraped 3 times in the last couple days. Have to get use to it again. Avoid all speed bumps and any kind of steep inclines.

Otherwise I am in love with this setup. The front shocks are in the soft setting and the rear shocks are right in the middle (standard adjustable). It's the perfect balance. Gives you the lowered and sexy rake look, improves handling, and ride comfort isn't sacrificed at all.

Is anyone running Eibach Pro Kit or H&R Sport springs on their E46 Coupe w/sport suspension? I would like to compare the drops as I may switch springs if the other setup looks nicer. haha

AllGoNoShow
10-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Pics Pics Pics!!!

Still smooth as silk?

max_boost
10-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Comparison of OE, Koni Sport, and the new Koni FSD.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/tests/koni_fsd.jsp

If the weather clears up, I'll wash my car and take some pics.