PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question

xmattx8
10-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Well Im looking to buy a car and Ive found one in Calgary. But the thing is I live in Lethbridge. Can I just go up and drive it back if I already have another car registered and insured? One of my friends told me you have 14 days or something to switch it over once I get it but I'm just making sure.

Or do I have to goto my insurance provider and do something there so I can drive it back legally?

Cheeze
10-11-2006, 08:03 PM
you have to call your insurance. dont get those two mixed up. you have 14 days to REGISTER the veichle

idriveabox
10-11-2006, 08:19 PM
yes you have 14 days, your policy covers newly acquired vehicles (which this is). The same coverage ie. if you have $1 million liability, comprehensive etc. applies.

BlackArcher101
10-11-2006, 09:10 PM
It actually depends from policy to policy. I just bought a vehicle, and I could not move it with at least a temporary insurance on it, even though I still had full insurance on my old one. Phone your broker and ask if you need it or not.

As for registration, you can move your old plate to the new vehicle, and have 14 days to visit a registry and make the change.

FiveFreshFish
10-11-2006, 10:18 PM
When you are sure you'll buy the car, call your insurance company and give them the details of the new car. They will fax you a temporary insurance card with the real one to follow in the mail before the temp expires.