PDA

View Full Version : Where to rent a big screen TV in Calgary?

Ekliptix
10-11-2006, 09:19 PM
I need to rent about a 42" thin screen with a stand to sit on a table for 3 days.

Anyone suggest a rental place?

Thanks

QuasarCav
10-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Maybe if you bought one on your credit card and didn't like it after a few days you could 'rent' it for free.

Si_FlyGuy
10-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Costco's got a superb return policy.:clap:

Xtrema
10-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
Costco's got a superb return policy.:clap:

Sad but true.

Importz
10-11-2006, 10:50 PM
costco sells plasma tvs?? good brand?? whats the cheapest price??

Crymson
10-11-2006, 10:53 PM
They always carry some of the shit brands (Akai, LG) and they also usually have 1 of the good brands, panasonic, pioneer, or samsung at any given time. They had a 50 inch Akai or LG plasma for 2999 a while back, i think, but it comes and goes, you never know what's going to be at costco each week.

hussein
10-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Werd. Cheapest method is probably to just return it. Althought I think some stores have a policy against returning big screen TVs and things becuase people would "rent" them for football games, etc. ;)

Ekliptix
10-12-2006, 12:27 AM
Grrrr....Costco Card. Maybe london Drugs, I know they do that with camera lenses.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-12-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
Maybe london Drugs, I know they do that with camera lenses.

Details, please! :D What's the return period?

Ekliptix
10-12-2006, 12:43 AM
This was a few yrs ago with a 100-300 POS I borrowed for sledding. I bought the 70-200L a week later.

I think you can try it for 10 days and then your money goes right back into your bank account.

5hift
10-12-2006, 12:44 AM
I remember seeing some guy adversting this exact thing on Usedcalgary.com. He was renting out plasma big screens but it was something riduclous like $130 a day. If you really want to rent, search the electronics sales section there and you'll probably see the ad.

HRD2PLZ
10-12-2006, 08:18 AM
You could try Rick @ ACA AV Productions. Its a family friend's company and I am pretty sure he rents out TV's. Rick @ 255-3190.

lint
10-12-2006, 08:28 AM
just go to future shop or best buy. They have a 30 day return policy. "It didn't look right in my living room" "It was too big" "it was too small" "my wife said no" etc etc etc. What do you think all the people do for superbowl or grey cup? Tons of returns after superbowl parties.

That's how I "rented" a projector for my wedding :D

mekeni
10-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Sharp's AV

dharminder
10-12-2006, 08:51 AM
You might want to keep in mind most places ie future shop, best buy they dont keep anything larger then a 27" or 32" in stock. But i could be mistaken. Somthing you might want to look into

5hift
10-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by lint
just go to future shop or best buy. They have a 30 day return policy. "It didn't look right in my living room" "It was too big" "it was too small" "my wife said no" etc etc etc. What do you think all the people do for superbowl or grey cup? Tons of returns after superbowl parties.

It might have worked for your projector, but the last time I bought a bigscreen tv at futureshop, I was told that they dont do refunds (store credit only) for any tv's over 32" because they have too many people like yourself who want to use higher end products but dont think they should have to pay for them.

lint
10-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by 5hift

It might have worked for your projector, but the last time I bought a bigscreen tv at futureshop, I was told that they dont do refunds (store credit only) for any tv's over 32" because they have too many people like yourself who want to use higher end products but dont think they should have to pay for them.

I'm sorry, you've never had buyer's remorse over a big purchase? Never returned an item because you thought about it and realized that it wasn't the best decision? You're not one of "those" people?

Sometimes you have to take it home, set it up and try it out first. It's not like FS or BB don't set up their TVs in the store to optimize their sales on more expensive products. Better hook ups, better quality video for a more expensive TV set perhaps? And then you wonder why when you get home that the picture just doesn't look the same.

5hift
10-12-2006, 09:33 AM

Doesnt seem like buyers remorse to me, seems like someone whos proud he managed to rip off a store and use something for free.

QuasarCav
10-12-2006, 09:36 AM

Doesnt seem like buyers remorse to me, seems like someone whos proud he managed to rip off a store and use something for free.

Sounds good to me, it's nice to turn the tables every once in a while. Instead of them marking shit up 50% and pushing the PSP like it's oxygen, we get a small little victory.

Sorry big box company, *hug*.

lint
10-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

Sounds good to me, it's nice to turn the tables every once in a while. Instead of them marking shit up 50% and pushing the PSP like it's oxygen, we get a small little victory.

Sorry big box company, *hug*.

I spend enough money there to take advantage of the return policy every now and again.

lint
10-12-2006, 09:46 AM

To each his own. If you want to portray yourself as a moral defender of big store profits, go right ahead. But we all know that you, me and everyone else has returned something for non-remorseful reasons. It's like masturbation, everyone does it. Those who don't are lying.

5hift
10-12-2006, 10:07 AM

To each his own. If you want to portray yourself as a moral defender of big store profits, go right ahead. But we all know that you, me and everyone else has returned something for non-remorseful reasons. It's like masturbation, everyone does it. Those who don't are lying.

I'm not trying to come off as a moral defender of store profits. The original purpose of me posting was to let Ekliptix know he might get burned if he takes the same approach to "renting" as you.

And honestly I cant think of a time when I've made a purchase with the intention of using the product and returning it when I dont need it. For large purchases like most people nowadays, I'm smart enough to do research on the product before buying so I know exactly what I'm getting. For smaller purchases, repackaging something and trying to return it isnt even worth my time.

If you fall for some snazzy tv setup at future shop thats your fault. They are in the business of selling so of course they will make their product look as good as possible. Buying stuff and returning it later only increases restocking costs for the company which in turn shows up in the markup on your bill the next time you actually buy something.

Ekliptix
10-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
You could try Rick @ ACA AV Productions. Its a family friend's company and I am pretty sure he rents out TV's. Rick @ 255-3190.
I didn't manage to talk to Rick, but I was quoted $1600 for 3 days for a 42" plazma.................:thumbsdow WTF??

HRD2PLZ
10-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Ekliptix

I didn't manage to talk to Rick, but I was quoted $1600 for 3 days for a 42" plazma.................:thumbsdow WTF??

:eek: did you mention you wanted to RENT one, not BUY one! :rofl:

Ekliptix
10-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by mekeni
Sharp's AV

$300/day.

I was not expecting these rates.

Ekliptix
10-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ

:eek: did you mention you wanted to RENT one, not BUY one! :rofl:
him "$1600"
me "uh, how much do one of these TV's cost?"
him "to buy?"
me "yes."
him "about the same."
me "I'll rent it for a month then".

Who would rent one for $550/day?!?!

driz6
10-13-2006, 04:48 PM
You can rent myne, I have a prima 42" or a panasonic 42" plasmas. Ill take $150 for the 3 days.

dino_martini
10-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Why do you need to rent a big screen? I have honestly never heard of this...did you tell someone you bought a TV and they want to come see it? :D