PDA

View Full Version : Media Receivers

Shftup
10-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Hey guys, looking for a digital media receiver for my parents. They need something easy to use and so forth.

I have a small list of products from reading on cnet.com, but can you add to the list based on your personal experience(s)....

1) D link DSM 520
2) Netgear EVA700
3) Linksys WMA11B
4) Acoustic Research DMP3000

I really need it to transmit HD (at 720p minimum), all the common files for video/audio, pass through optical sound for 5.1/DTS(from their dvd rips), and have a easy interface as its for my parents(who arent the most patient with computers....LOL)
I did not place a budget, but lets say from 100 - 500(max).

Thanks in advance.

milesmcewing
10-12-2006, 06:41 AM
I have the D-Link,

Works great, I use it to surf Live365 as well, good tool. I have the remote enclosure as well, so the PC does not have to be running to watch/listen to anything. I have an audio room and a theatre, so I have attached a 7 inch LCD in the audio room for information, There is a new server with a screen built in. but was not available when I bought this.

I do not use it wireless, since my house is wired to the points I need.

Audio quality varies with the source of course, the CD or turntable still sounds better for critical listening.

Video quality is very good, we watch at 120 inches and it works well (depending on your source again).

Menu and interface is easy to understand and use, my wife the Technopeasant, copes just fine with it.

send me a pm if you want to know more.

Cheers

rage2
10-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Those players don't play HD files. To play HD files you will need either the Zensonic Z500 or the AVeL LinkPlayer2. The Zensonic apparantly plays DVD rips very well, full menu, everything.

milesmcewing
10-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Oh mighty electronics master of the universe!!

Hey read the website.

Give me a call sometime, lets catch up, I was speaking to Brando last night and told him to get you to call.

Cheers

Product Description:

Works With:
Wireless 108G Gaming Router Wireless 108G Gaming Router
DGL-4300
Wireless Network Storage Enclosure Wireless Network Storage Enclosure
DSM-G600
Wireless G 10x Optical Zoom Internet Camera Wireless G 10x Optical Zoom Internet Camera
DCS-6620G
Experience the high-definition difference with the D-Link® MediaLounge™ Wireless HD Media Player. Stream music, photos, and high-definition videos to your home entertainment system with the DSM-520 Wireless HD Media Player. The DSM-520 connects to your existing home network using either 802.11g wireless technology or via Ethernet cable.

The DSM-520 Wireless HD Media Player supports your favorite media formats, including high-definition video in either Windows Media® Video 9 or MPEG-4 format. Enjoy videos with resolutions of up to 1080i from your high-definition television for the best picture quality.

Shftup
10-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Perfect - but last couple of questions.
Does the D link 520 - upconvert?

Aslo,the DSM-320RD has a built in DVD player, is that the only difference between the 520?

Also, need to find a place that I can buy it from.

thanks dood.

dragonone
10-12-2006, 11:57 PM
what i don't get is why manufacturers won't come up with something that just transmits the signal to your TV, be it HD or not

unfortunately i'm stuck with rmvb's due to the select Asian shows that I watch, there are only crappy vhs quality transmitters for that

Xtrema
10-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by dragonone
what i don't get is why manufacturers won't come up with something that just transmits the signal to your TV, be it HD or not

unfortunately i'm stuck with rmvb's due to the select Asian shows that I watch, there are only crappy vhs quality transmitters for that

You'll need speed/bandwidth greater than current WiFi to stream HD.

Such transmitter is in the works but it won't be cheap for a while.

rage2
10-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Not to mention how few chips out there can do HD MPEG2/MPEG4 decoding.

Thaco
10-17-2006, 07:32 AM
and most HD content is protected by HDCP.