PDA

View Full Version : What's your qualification????

conschoi
10-12-2006, 01:34 AM
i am having a hard time to get a job (proper decent long term job)
any1 working in a nice and big company w/o high school diploma?
if so, what is it??
does every1 need to be eduacated to get a decent job?

ZorroAMG
10-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Are you serious? You are surprised by the fact that an employer would choose someone who is able to financially, mentally and socially dedicate themselves to increasing their knowledge by way of multiple years of study, over someone who isn't?

I think you answered your own question....

KuruptEX
10-12-2006, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Are you serious? You are surprised by the fact that an employer would choose someone who is able to financially, mentally and socially dedicate themselves to increasing their knowledge by way of multiple years of study, over someone who isn't?

:thumbsup::werd:

James
10-12-2006, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

:rofl: ...whoa, slow down, dont want to confuse the poor guy!
....does make sense though, really not much else to say.

conschoi
10-12-2006, 04:02 AM
I thought it is really high demand out there.... isn't it??
i thougth i would have a chance to get traning and gain some experience while i m working in the company ... i m really having a problem with studying!!~~

Offroad
10-12-2006, 05:15 AM
Try Transcontinental Printing 5516 5th Street SE ph:258-3788

We make about 1 1/2 billion $$ a year...yes im not kidding. 2nd largest commercial printer in canada...have plants across canada...states and 1 in mexico. Big enough for ya ? In house training and we take almost anyone.

seer_claw
10-12-2006, 07:47 AM
There are a tonne of labour positions available at many companies around town. You are going to have to work your way up from the bottom, you not going to be handed a high paying job in management without either experience or schooling. And even with schooling expect to start lower. Or just stay in school...might be the smarter way to do things. :banghead:

Si_FlyGuy
10-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by conschoi

You can work for the Alberta government. :rofl: Go Ralphie!

SiG Baby
10-12-2006, 09:14 AM
^ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Toms-SC
10-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Pro gamer

cityhunter2501
10-12-2006, 09:28 AM
w/o even HS diploma, you will really have to start on the bottom, especially labor intensive positions.

you could also be a salesman.

on IT field though, if you are experienced with certain computer programs, you might be able to land some good deals if you have some good networks.

conschoi
10-12-2006, 02:55 PM
thank for all the advice!!! it's really help me out ......

89coupe
10-12-2006, 03:06 PM
I thought it is really high demand out there.... isn't it??
i thougth i would have a chance to get traning and gain some experience while i m working in the company ... i m really having a problem with studying!!~~

Apply for a rig job in the field. If you can tie your own shoes you will be able to get a job. Your first year you will make more then any 4year grad student coming out of University with his or her degree and after a few years you will be making six plus figures. And if you're smart you won't piss it all away on drugs and booze ;)

Xtrema
10-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Without even the basic education, it's hard to find high paying jobs.

You may want to start in the trade business where there may be some apprenticeship programs. There's no way you'll start in an office with a desk job without a HS diploma. You'll have to do labour and work your way up.

And it's not impossible. I know many people didn't do post secondary and move on to very successful careers/businesses. It's just harder and may take longer.

rage2
10-12-2006, 03:35 PM
if so, what is it??
I'm the IT Director for a software company. I dropped out of high school.

does every1 need to be eduacated to get a decent job?
Yes. School isn't the only form of education. Experience IMO is the best education *anyone* can get for themselves. Even tho I dropped out of high school, I'm a smart motherfucker, thus, I am where I am today.

lint
10-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Yes. School isn't the only form of education. Experience IMO is the best education *anyone* can get for themselves. Even tho I dropped out of high school, I'm a smart motherfucker, thus, I am where I am today.

So what you're saying if you really need intelligence, above experience and education. Dropping out of school because you CAN'T do it is different than dropping out of school because you WON'T do it or don't want to do it.

gpomp
10-12-2006, 03:45 PM
so when you hire people, do you choose the smart motherfucker or the guy that finished high school?

DepTrotter
10-12-2006, 03:53 PM
i can get you a job starting a 9.50 with commissions working full or part time

full gets benefits after 3 months

let me know

its not physically demanding (obviously).. its effin easy

stay for 3 months you get $250, stay for 6 you get another $250

rage2
10-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
so when you hire people, do you choose the smart motherfucker or the guy that finished high school?
I'll always choose the smart motherfucker over someone with a pretty list of degrees, MBA's and all sorts of useless shit that doesn't mean much.

Sprinter
10-12-2006, 04:01 PM

... School isn't the only form of education. EXPERIENCE IMO is the best education *anyone* can get for themselves...

THATS THE TRUTH :thumbsup:

Xtrema
10-12-2006, 04:05 PM

I'll always choose the smart motherfucker over someone with a pretty list of degrees, MBA's and all sorts of useless shit that doesn't mean much.

But if it's a choice of a smart motherfucker vs smart motherfucker with MBA, I'll choose the one with MBA.

And sometimes, a title will give you levelage in some situation in the corporate world.

Sprinter
10-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by gpomp

High School isn't that hard to finish... but just because you finished high school doesn't mean you have a better chance in succeeding in life than someone who is smarter than you are but decided to drop out of high school.

CLiVE
10-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

But if it's a choice of a smart motherfucker vs smart motherfucker with MBA, I'll choose the one with MBA.

And sometimes, a title will give you levelage in some situation in the corporate world.

:werd: In several companies I believe you need those 3 letters after your name in order to climb the ladder.

I would prefer it if that wasn't the case, as it would mean I wouldn't have to sit through a 4 hour lecture tonight. :banghead:

99atlantic
10-12-2006, 04:41 PM
How dumb do you have to be not to finish high school anymore? I mean shit, when I was in HS (lord beaverbrook, 97-99) I fricken copied/pasted papers from the internet and got A+s all the time....now grantd the internet wasn't as prolific back then, but still, it didn't require much brainpower to get by.

I wouldn't; in my experience the smart motherfvcker with the MBA is usually book-smart, pie-in-the-sky thinks he knows everything when he knows shit all.

I'd rather take somebody who is super smart that I can mold, not somebody who thinks he deserves $1/2M per year just because he has a dime-a-dozen designation.

conschoi
10-12-2006, 05:55 PM
the reason why i dropped out from school is b'coz i had to make money for living. i am on my own, my parents can't effort it. And later i earn some money to investing property since 1 1/2 yrs ago... so now i own few property but.... there is nothign to invest now... so i decided to go to work for long term.... ! and i think i am not stupid ( but i am not a smart motherfuker tho) so i hope i can work from the bottom to the top , however i coudn't even step into any door yet.....

doublepostwhore
10-12-2006, 06:22 PM
^ honnestly man, the vast majority of this forum is people with an education, truncated or in the process of. I almost feel like they are have a rather cynical view about not having an education. This is inpart to the fact that they are furious about having to work hard for their education, or are so pessimistic that they chose to not count the self made successes.

Find out what you are good at, what you are REALLY good at.

If you are good at cooking... apply as a cook anywhere... good at fabricating parts? Any auto shop will take you on as an apprentice.

Good at numbers? get a job pushing paper, or receptionist position at pretty much any firm, and wow the boss with your skills.

Its ALL about experience... I am in engineering school... and one student from another we are all identical... the difference is work ethic and personal smarts.

variable_x
10-12-2006, 07:38 PM

Why don't we all just drop out of schools and try to be smart motherfuckers then. I wonder why all the Universities are still open... probably for all the dumb motherfuckers.

Now, how do I become a smart motherfucker???

Honda_002
10-12-2006, 07:40 PM
you could start with dropping the attitude with moderators?:dunno:

nismodrifter
10-12-2006, 07:41 PM
dum de dum.......anyone recall a similar thread from last year/2 years ago???

here we go again

As of right now:
- BSc. (Physiology)
- MD....in 3 years 11 months. :D

back to the books....

variable_x
10-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Honda_002
you could start with dropping the attitude with moderators?:dunno:

Sorry... please tell me how to become smart? Answers will be greatly appreciated :)

eljefe
10-12-2006, 07:56 PM

I take the smart motherfucker with talent and drive everytime, designations mean shit in relation to true raw talent.

Talent will give you leverage in almost any situation in the corporate world over 3 letters.

theken
10-12-2006, 08:02 PM
we just hired a civil engineer as a first time fracturer, he will make alot more money then he did as an engineer, i have a high school diploma and a class 1 licence, and will make more then the guy with 4 years university.

Darkane
10-12-2006, 08:08 PM
It is true lots of people who school thier whole lives do not have real world education. I have many friends who have paper work from university's a mile long, Lots of them are socialy retarded for lack of a better term. Its the truth Social Retardation.. They are not assertive, not aggressive.. Think lots of things should be handed to them. .02

GTS Jeff
10-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Yes. School isn't the only form of education. Experience IMO is the best education *anyone* can get for themselves. I don't think you've had enough school to make that call.

The Cosworth
10-13-2006, 12:29 AM
I think a bit of an education is great, but too much at the start can also be a hinderance.

I am in a 2 year Electrical Engineering Technology diploma (at sait, in second year), and I know people w/ masters of engineering degree's who I was working with over the summer at a Oilfield Service Company who were no better off.

I think education helps get you in the door... after that its up to you!

max_boost
10-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Even tho I dropped out of high school, I'm a smart motherfucker, thus, I am where I am today. I like this last part.

rage2
10-13-2006, 07:03 AM
I'd choose the non MBA smart motherfucker. First off, the MBA guy would ask for a ridiculous salary to start before even proving himself, so he's out of the question. The non MBA smart motherfucker would get a reasonable salary to start, and once proven, get up there to what he's worth. MBA guys also have an ego problem, which won't work for me, because that'll conflict with my ego :rofl:.

Originally posted by variable_x
Sorry... please tell me how to become smart? Answers will be greatly appreciated :)
If you have to ask...

sputnik
10-13-2006, 07:34 AM
the reason why i dropped out from school is b'coz i had to make money for living. i am on my own, my parents can't effort it. And later i earn some money to investing property since 1 1/2 yrs ago... so now i own few property but.... there is nothign to invest now... so i decided to go to work for long term.... ! and i think i am not stupid ( but i am not a smart motherfuker tho) so i hope i can work from the bottom to the top , however i coudn't even step into any door yet.....

Its called night school. Work during the day, school at night.

Rockski
10-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Without even the basic education, it's hard to find high paying jobs.

You may want to start in the trade business where there may be some apprenticeship programs. There's no way you'll start in an office with a desk job without a HS diploma. You'll have to do labour and work your way up.

And it's not impossible. I know many people didn't do post secondary and move on to very successful careers/businesses. It's just harder and may take longer.

its even getting to the point where trades employers (at least the larger ones) still want you to have a high school diploma.

CLiVE
10-13-2006, 01:26 PM

I'm a smart motherfucker, thus, I am where I am today.

I think the point underlying this thread isn't education or qualifications. It is that you have to have 'drive' to succeed.

You can have any degree, but if you're not driven you may not be able to apply your degree and succeed. You can succeed just as well without a degree, if you are driven enough.

Suddenly the beyond.ca "driven" logo seems to apply in a different way. lol.

thinmyster
10-13-2006, 01:39 PM
i know in a field such as geology where if you dont have that professional title you are severely, severly limited in promotions and advancements. you still have to start low with, but without that title your holding yourself back!

rage2
10-13-2006, 02:57 PM
See the other school thread, I've mentioned already that for some professions you do need schooling. I'm not gonna get too involved in this debate, been there done that!

FiveFreshFish
10-13-2006, 08:22 PM

Most people who drop out of high school aren't smart motherfuckers, and never end up close to where you are today. You're an exception. The average guy like the OP will fare better by completing at least high school than he would if he dropped out.

fast&dangr
10-13-2006, 08:51 PM
They hire hanicapped people at tons of places these days. If you can't get a job, pretend you're a retard. You'll be working in no time. Plus, you can score one of those handi parking permits and get in on all the prime parking. Worked for me!

Supa Dexta
10-13-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm trying to think of the few people I know that didn't get thru highschool.. They were mostly the type, live way out in the country, and pretty sure their parents were atleast cousins, of not closer... Not saying this is always the case, but I mean the ones that didn't slide thru, had no chance of it...