PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions about Transit Cops.....

Mitsu3000gt
10-13-2006, 09:14 AM
EDIT: not sure if this is the right place for this question, so feel free to move it appropriately.

I sometimes have to take the train to/from work downtown and the other day a couple of transit cops got onto the train to start checking everyone's tickets and it got me thinking.

1) If you were to just run, can they chase/apprehend you off of the C-train station property?

2) If you carry no ID whatsoever, not even something with your name on it, how can they write you a ticket if you refuse to tell them who you are and have no ID?

My guess is they would detain you and call the cops, but even then it would be your word against theirs when the actual cop arrived.

A while back in Junior High School, I ran across the tracks to catch the train while it was parked at the station (very safe, it was still letting people on and such but the lights were going) and I didn't see that there was a transit cop there. He stopped me and was going to write me a ticket but I claimed I don't have any ID and I don't bring my wallet to school. He didn't search me or anything (not sure if their allowed to or not) but he seemed flustered and didn't write me a ticket and just said don't do it again. Not sure if this would happen to anyone not carrying any ID or if it was because I was just a kid.

The Cosworth
10-13-2006, 10:37 AM
I have heard of people saying they have no id on them, and they give them some crazy names and address's

Lexxan
10-13-2006, 10:52 AM
lol the other day I was driving behind a calgary transit protective services van and they had two guys facing each other in the back handcuffed.. the funny part was there was no metal mesh and just a bright white light on them. You could see them clear as day all hammered

coste
10-13-2006, 11:00 AM
They actually started to put Calgary Police Officers on the train to start checking if your have the proper fair. Apparently not alot of people were taking the whole 'if you dont pay, you get a ticket' business seriously. I haven't taken the train since last year (thank god for the EP), but I'm sure they still have the CPO on the trains at selected times, when it's not retardidly busy.

69cougar
10-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

1) If you were to just run, can they chase/apprehend you off of the C-train station property?

2) If you carry no ID whatsoever, not even something with your name on it, how can they write you a ticket if you refuse to tell them who you are and have no ID?

buy a ticket

barbarian
10-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Buy a ticket.

thesmackdown
10-13-2006, 08:24 PM
seeing as i used to work for the police. if you have no ticket nor id they will take you to arrest processing to have you finger printed to check your fingerprints, and no i'm not kidding. the transit cops are usually in most cases "special constables" only until they can get in with the police. Quite honestly the stuff they do is more dangeous than what the actual police do.

Mitsu3000gt
10-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the comments, I was just curious more than anything. I go home at noon most days and since that is not a peak time there is sometimes transit cops and sometimes actual cops checking tickets. I of course always have a ticket.

SinisterProbeGt
10-13-2006, 10:10 PM
City Transit Officers have the same authority as real cops on the c-train line.
If the infraction happened on ct property they can persue you any where with in reason with the help of the CPS.

I had a run in with these guys when i was younger and In fact its the only reason I have been to Jail.

I got busted Impeeding the operation of the doors. ( held it open to finish a conversation) Bad thing especially when there is a undercover CT cop right there.

He says "can i see your ticket and your DL please" shows off a CTrain cop badge. I asked him if he got it in a cracker jack box. and right beside him a real undercover stands up and says how about mine.....
So $150.00 fine later that I never paid till I got thrown in the can.
If you get a c-train tix just pay it ASAP cause they will issue a warrent for your arrest if you dont show up for the court date or pay the fine.

whiskas
10-14-2006, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
If you get a c-train tix just pay it ASAP cause they will issue a warrent for your arrest if you dont show up for the court date or pay the fine.

Wow, how long were you in jail for? And they probably arrested you after pulling you over on the road right?

SinisterProbeGt
10-14-2006, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by whiskas

Wow, how long were you in jail for? And they probably arrested you after pulling you over on the road right?

DOmstic Disturbance and it was a long weekend so 3 days in the can for 150$ and they took me down with out my cash so I sat for a few days

frozenrice
10-14-2006, 10:36 AM
A bit off topic. They threw you in jail for 3 days becuase of an unpaid transit fine? Such a minor offense and a BS charge to begin with. When they "took you down", did the SWAT team show up too? Do they at least feed you while you're behind bars?

adidas
10-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Those ctrain cops are fags!

Got a 50 dollar ticket for swearing!

Then when he asked to see my id it was cracked and so he called a cop that was near by and the cop wrote me a ticket for 350 for having a mutilated id.

LOL...i wish i knew that i could just run off the property and nothign would of happened!

The cop didnt sign the 350 dollar ticket cause the first ticket he wrote me he said that i was an adult when i was only 17 at the time, so he said to stick around while he writes me another one and so when he wrote me the other ticket he didnt sign it! YAY for me lol

i had to pay the 50 dollar ticket which is bs, cause the rent a cops swore at me and i couldnt use that against them in court! what bs is that?! So i ended up apying that ticket, but when i see that rent a cop again, ill just swear straight in his face in gibberish! lol

Mavrick
02-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by adidas
Those ctrain cops are fags!

i had to pay the 50 dollar ticket which is bs, cause the rent a cops swore at me and i couldnt use that against them in court! what bs is that?! So i ended up apying that ticket, but when i see that rent a cop again, ill just swear straight in his face in gibberish! lol

I would like to see you try that. I've seen them take people down bofore and I would laugh my a$$ off when I see them kick the sh!t out of you.

2BLUE
02-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
A bit off topic. They threw you in jail for 3 days becuase of an unpaid transit fine? Such a minor offense and a BS charge to begin with. When they "took you down", did the SWAT team show up too? Do they at least feed you while you're behind bars?

This is true. I bought a ticket and some how lost it when he asked me for it. I got a ticket and never thought nothing of it. One day 2 cops came around my house asked who i was and arrested me. Had to go afront of the justice of the peace to get back out....like what the hell. no charges just a warrant. i paid the ticket and whats done is done.

Funny part later on week later or so i found the ticket...should have checked the inside pocket... :)

maplelodge
02-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Transit cops in Calgary can arrest you as long as its on Calgary Transit property... now I heard that they are expanding their "property" in the downtown area to help "clean up" downtown core... not sure if its true... but I konw the Calgary Transit cops can take you down to arrest processing unit and lay charges against you ;)

rx7_turbo2
02-04-2007, 12:04 PM
I buy a ticket 99% of the time, there is however very rare occasions when circmstances won't allow for it, I'm sure you've all been there. I recognize if I don't buy a ticket I deserve a fine, but I don't really want to pay it so.....I would bolt, I've got faith in my own abilities, if they can catch me I'll give them credit and accept the additional fines involved.

CasperWho
02-04-2007, 12:13 PM

DOmstic Disturbance and it was a long weekend so 3 days in the can for 150$ and they took me down with out my cash so I sat for a few days

I'll be the first to say - :bullshit: .
Domestic Disturbance for an unpaid ticket received on the transit? Nope.

BrknFngrs
02-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by CasperWho

I'll be the first to say - :bullshit: .
Domestic Disturbance for an unpaid ticket received on the transit? Nope.

Im pretty sure your not understanding the situation. The guy has a warrant issued for him for not paying the transit fine, the cops show up because a domestic disturbance call was put in, they check his ID and he gets put in jail because of the outstanding warrant, not the domestic disturbance.

sexualbanana
02-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

It's not like they sent SWAT/TAC on them just for the unpaid ticket. They were there for another reason and found out he had an outstanding warrant so they took him in.

toyboy88
02-04-2007, 01:59 PM
LOL I once saw a guy get completly owned haha, he was getting out the door at Banff Trail station and there were 2 transit cops on the platform asking him for a ticket near the door, he tried running from them down the concrete ramp, and he was running like full tilt at the crossing gate thing to get to the other side, and you have to pull on the gate, instead he was so caught up in running he ran right into the metal gate and wiped out :rofl:

TegLover
02-04-2007, 02:04 PM
These guys can chase you off property and apprehend you, if you are to run thats resisting arrest. if you give them a fake name and address thats obstruction of justice. if you spit at them, hit them or swear thats more charges. if at any time they think its fake they will get CPS here, if you don't have ID you will be taken to DT. :cry:

HuMz
02-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by adidas

The cop didnt sign the 350 dollar ticket cause the first ticket he wrote me he said that i was an adult when i was only 17 at the time, so he said to stick around while he writes me another one and so when he wrote me the other ticket he didnt sign it! YAY for me lol

You probably wouldn't have had to pay that ticket even if it was filled out correctly. I had the same ticket for having a tear in my license and the CP threw it out no questions asked saying its a bullshit law to begin with that very few people know about.

Mavrick
02-05-2007, 01:10 AM
The Transit Cops can get away with just about as much as the real cops. I spoke to one the other day and did some inquiring. He said that they can and will chase off of their property if you run as it's obstructing justice. If you give them a bogus name and they can't varify who you are they can arrest you for identifcation reasons. I called bullsh!t on this and he stated that they can under some provincal act which allows them to so a ticket can't be issued to someone other then the person they are really dealing with. If they still can't figure out who you are you take a trip downtown to be printed.
The C-Train cops don't need CPS for help, They deal with you!!!! The Transit cops are also working downtown along 7 Ave between 11 ST SW and 4 ST SE, if you do anything along this streech of 7 Ave your free game acording to media and alderman releases. Just type in Calgary Transit Cops on the web and multiple hits will appear, most being the Transit Cops and the 7 Ave nonesense.

Mavrick
02-05-2007, 01:27 AM
My bad, I forget to mention that when I talked to the Transit Cop I asked him how they confirm who you are. He stated that they have access to a system called CPIC. I did some playing on the net and found out that CPIC is the Canadian Police Information Centre, to check your criminal record if you have one, also they can run your drivers licence, ID cards. If all else fails they can call people you know like family friends who knows your info. But like I said before, if you gotta run from them please do while I'm there so I can watch them kick the sh!t out of you.

frozenrice
02-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

It's not like they sent SWAT/TAC on them just for the unpaid ticket. They were there for another reason and found out he had an outstanding warrant so they took him in.

I understand that. I was just being sarcastic. The transit cops are such wannabes that I almost wouldn't put it past them to send in the SWAT/TAC to catch some free rider. ;)

Traffic_Cop
02-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Transit "cops" are pretty much just that.

The are appointed as Special Constables under the Provincial Police Act, this in turn grants them Peace Officer status when dealing with certain offences granted to them under the Special Constable Appoinment which they hold.

If the officer is dealing with you under an appointed act and you do something stupid like try to run, spit, fight etc, this officers are granted full authority for use of force and arrest powers under the Criminal Code.

On a side note here, if a transit officer issues you a ticket and it goes un-paid,a warrant will be issued for your arrest.

msommers
02-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Good on them for giving people tickets and stickin to it. Too many assholes downtown at peak hours never bother to buy a ticket and use it every work day

phreezee
02-05-2007, 05:16 PM

I got busted Impeeding the operation of the doors. ( held it open to finish a conversation) Bad thing especially when there is a undercover CT cop right there.

REALLY?!? I was running for the train and got a hand in enough to pry open the doors as they were closing. As soon as I got on I noticed there were 3 cops in the car. They didn't say anything about it, and just checked my pass.