PDA

View Full Version : Krazy glue on paint !

ex1z7
10-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Alright well, on my Focus theres - from the mirror to the bottom of the door - about 4 or 5 lines of white residue left from krazy glue .. A buddy tried to fix the broken mirror I had *in time for my drivers test..today..* and it seemed to have .. well not worked. SO now I have a bunch of krazy glue on my car and no idea on how to remove it safely.. if there is a way.

I was thinking acetone, like, nail polish remover.. Or would that strip the paint too ? Nail polish remover seems to eat krazy glue extremely well ..

Any help is extremely appreciated.. Thanks

Calgarydetail
10-13-2006, 10:33 PM
Krazy glue is a bitch, before you got to a mineral spirit i would with megs deep crsytal paint cleanser (it will take a few treatments). If that doset work follow up with clay. Again use more the once. If that dosent work I would go to a mineral spirit. with accatone or mineral spirits be carfull, you should f-up your paint however there is potential, try to get as little as possible around the actual glue, go slow and do more then one treatment as needed. I would aslo follow with a paint cleanser, clay and then polsih. and top with a good wax or sealent. It will take a few steps but it will eventually come off and will work.

And if all that dosent work wet sand it off. This is somthing I wouold do as a very last step. Use a 3000 grit sand paper and rember you are going to need to use a power polisher after. Good luck

hope it all works out

-mike

Jed Bouscal
10-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Calgary Detail has a lot of good suggestions. If you're going to use mineral spirits, try carefully using a q-tip, or masking off the paint around it to help avoid paint damage.

One other alternative is to use a steamer or a heat gun. It might peal right off. You can purchase a heat gun for 20 bucks at Canadian Tire. If it doesn't work you can always return it. If you try this, be sure to use the low setting, as the high setting could burn your paint too.

ex1z7
10-13-2006, 11:35 PM
Aw man, is acetone really that harsh? What if I diluted it.. ? I figure the krazy glue is easier to break apart then paint ..

I even washed my car today at a hand-wash and I scrubbed it and used the hot water pressure washer and it got ALOT of it off, but theres still evident streaks..

A gas jockey also put a 4" scrape in the side of my car near my gas tank cover.. That was fantastic.

Fun day so far...

Jed Bouscal
10-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Post a picture of the scrape and I'll tell you if it can be buffed out! That sucks I'm sorry to hear that happened!

Calgarydetail
10-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Thnkx Jed, and i like the q-tip suggestion. I honstlry never would have thought of that. I like that.
And accatone isnt THAT harsh, but it is harsh and paint is easy to damage. i have seen it on paint and cleaned up right away and done no damage but its not worth the risk, its expensive to repaint a car sp might as well take an extra 5 min to do it right

djayz
10-15-2006, 07:44 PM
try some wd-40 on a q-tip

its not as harsh on paint but it definately gets rid of hard to take off stuff

i had some belt lube on the underside of my hood and i tried a clay bar and different solutions on it but the only thing that took it off very easily was wd-40 and it did no damage what so ever to the paint. After i was done i just wipe it with water and a clean cloth just to make sure.

TimG
10-17-2006, 11:05 AM
try isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) it won't harm your paint, either.

JCX
10-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Years ago I used to work at a Hobby Shop and we sold Cyanoacrylate which is basically just like krazy glue only better. There is a debonder that might work, any shop should have it (ie. Chinook Hobbies). Not sure how this will treat the paint, but it should take the krazy glue off.

I highly doubt rubbing alcohol or WD40 will work.

I'd first just try to spray the shit out of it with a high pressure hose. Krazy glue has great strength pulling, but shitty strength shearing (ie. side to side).

Then I'd just try a claybar, cheap and you know it won't hurt the paint.

Then I'd try debonder.

Then I'd Krazy glue your friends spauldings to his forehead.

Final thought, would you just be able to carefully buff it off with a power buffer? Then just get the shine back.

TimG
10-17-2006, 11:41 AM
the commercial debonder is just acetone.

i agree that alcohol won't dissolve the glue, but it might soften it a bit and make it easier to remove. acetone with just turn it into a gummy mess, but it'll work.