PDA

View Full Version : How Lenient/Strict is an OOP Inspection?

s3v3n
10-14-2006, 06:20 AM
ive searched, but couldnt really find much. :dunno:

i have a car that needs to get an oop but im wondering what they will let pass. dont worry ... im not trying to pass some pos with bald tires, no brakes, and a missing bumper! :rofl:

only things not perfect with the car that im concerned about is a slight crack across bottom of windshield; not obstructing view or anything tho (its under the wipers).

everything else is great and the car drives fine :)
i just have no clue if this is going to be a problem or not?
are they gonna take one look and flunk me? :( the car is 1000x better than many other cars on the road ... but im just not sure how hardcore the oop will be!

any insight or experiences are welcome!

AllGoNoShow
10-14-2006, 06:35 AM
Most general places will fail it right away because of crack on windsheild. Well atleast they are supposed too.

Not sure of the rest of it.

s3v3n
10-14-2006, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Most general places will fail it right away because of crack on windsheild. Well atleast they are supposed too.

Not sure of the rest of it.
yeah ive heard you need a clear windshield too ... but also that if the crack doesnt obstruct the drivers view that they will usually not mind ... i guess it might just depend where ya go, eh? =\

tictactoe2004
10-14-2006, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by s3v3n

yeah ive heard you need a clear windshield too ... but also that if the crack doesnt obstruct the drivers view that they will usually not mind ... i guess it might just depend where ya go, eh? =\

It really depends where you go and who you know. I knew a guy who brought over a 3 year old accent that he has owned since new and they failed two of the shocks - stating that they had a slow leak - they were fixed under warranty and he passed after that.

mx73someday
10-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Go to an OOP shop and ask if you can read the guide/standards book they have. Sometimes they'll have old books sitting around that they give away.

That said, it mostly depends on luck. No two mechanics will fail the same set of problems. Look for a unique shop that isn't a franchise, those are probably the least leniant.

New2Talon
10-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by mx73someday
Go to an OOP shop and ask if you can read the guide/standards book they have. Sometimes they'll have old books sitting around that they give away.

That said, it mostly depends on luck. No two mechanics will fail the same set of problems. Look for a unique shop that isn't a franchise, those are probably the least leniant.

So do you go there, sit down and read the books, or do they give it to ya?

I'll second the shops not all being the same. I called around to a few places (davenport...) and the guy was VERY anal about my car having cats, especially if they came from factory with them. Called another place and asked if they check for cats and he said they might. I asked why if I can go and take them off as soon as i left the shop if i wanted to and he didnt know. So he went a looked in the book and said there was no noting anywhere about a car needing cats, or any emissions control to pass.

Jynx
10-14-2006, 12:04 PM
all depends where you take it... some places will be real strict, others will be super easy.

Jynx
10-14-2006, 12:05 PM
all depends where you take it... some places will be real strict, others will be super easy.

At many places you can essentially pay the mechanic off to pass the car!

s3v3n
10-14-2006, 07:44 PM
so basically its sounding like its a toss up depending where i take it...

Originally posted by mx73someday

yeah thats a good idea too, thanks.

Originally posted by Jynx

At many places you can essentially pay the mechanic off to pass the car!
lol any suggestions? pm me if anyone has anybody theyd recommend... :angel:

AllGoNoShow
10-14-2006, 08:06 PM
There is a shop in the Foothills industrial park by the FedEx building that does the work your looking and "paying" for. I can try and get his number off a buddy and get it to you, I don't have his card anymore.

s3v3n
10-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
There is a shop in the Foothills industrial park by the FedEx building that does the work your looking and "paying" for. I can try and get his number off a buddy and get it to you, I don't have his card anymore.
that would be awesome man, thanks!

Eken9
10-14-2006, 09:24 PM
OPP is very strict from what my friend told me.
Failed on a partically old not 100% rear wheel bearing.
My friend had everything fixed, they almost failed him on the rear defrost too, but he had so many things fixed they just let him slide.

s3v3n
10-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Eken9
OPP is very strict from what my friend told me.
Failed on a partically old not 100% rear wheel bearing.
My friend had everything fixed, they almost failed him on the rear defrost too, but he had so many things fixed they just let him slide.
yikes ... whered he go? ill be sure to steer clear!

TimG
10-15-2006, 10:18 AM
when i had my OOP inspection done. they didn't even take the wheels off.

hampstor
10-15-2006, 10:24 AM
I had my car inspected yesterday at:

Bravo Auto Service Ltd 3850 - 32 St NE
Calgary, T1Y 7L9 (403)291-4502

cost me $110 inc tax. Was quick - but my car had 20 000k on it so it had no problems. They did not notice the lack of front reflectors on the clear headlights though.

To find other places you can do it at, visit this site:

http://www.trans.gov.ab.ca:81/docType544/Production/vishome.asp