PDA

View Full Version : Maaco Painting Services

funkedelic
10-14-2006, 07:37 AM
I was just curious, because I live in lethbridge and we don't have any Maaco centers here. Has anyone had their car repainted at by Maaco? If so, how did it turn out? About how much is it to completely repaint a car its original color? (In my case, black)

I heard Maaco is pretty cheap, but i am worried about the quality. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and if anyone has carfax, please let me know as well. I need to look up a VIN.

ninspeed
10-14-2006, 08:19 AM
You cant get quality at cheap... save up the 3-5 grand and do it right. In your area, i would suggest Kustom in coldale

88CRX
10-14-2006, 08:24 AM
When it comes to body work you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

And well.... you dont pay much for macco :thumbsdow

HiTempguy1
10-14-2006, 09:01 AM
MAACO is just like any other body/paint shop, except its a franchise. Find a GOOD one with a manager you like, pay the coin for a nice paint job, do the body work/prep yourself, slip the manager and dude who is doing the painting an extra 'hun, and you are set.

The reason why MAACO has such a bad rep is because everybody goes to them for cheap paint jobs, because thats what they advertise. It doesn't mean you can't get a good paint job, you just have to work at it a bit. We had a fox-body mustang that needed a paint job BAD. $400 later, and it was looking decent, we didn't even prep it ourselves. As I said, the biggest thing is finding a GOOD shop.

barbarian
10-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Maaco is where you take a rusted up car to hide the rust to sell the car.

Genjuro
10-14-2006, 10:59 AM
if you prep the car and do most of the hard work (sanding, priming, taping) they will do a pretty good job for cheap... and i've seen the work done after that. not too shabby.

Mitsu3000gt
10-14-2006, 04:55 PM
An excellent, proper paint job is 10K+. You get what you pay for.

drox
10-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
An excellent, proper paint job is 10K+. You get what you pay for. Thats excessive

Mitsu3000gt
10-15-2006, 01:36 AM
The paint jobs on alot of exotics are 20 or 30K jobs from the factory, 10K is nothing. Also, if youve ever been to the car show, the paint jobs those guys have on their custom hot rods and such are well over 10K. If I had an old car, no I wouldn't spend 10K on it.

CivicTunr
10-15-2006, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
The paint jobs on alot of exotics are 20 or 30K jobs from the factory, 10K is nothing. Also, if youve ever been to the car show, the paint jobs those guys have on their custom hot rods and such are well over 10K. If I had an old car, no I wouldn't spend 10K on it.

keyword: CUSTOM, most likely meaning a custom color too.
and car shows only look good cause the car never sees outside, its alway in a trailer haha.

edit: also exotics will have a paint called like Super magenta fireball red, well a normal economic car will have the color Red.

so one color will be more complex than the other.

funkedelic
10-15-2006, 04:29 AM
Well thanks for all the info guys. I am looking to get my mid 90s 3 series BMW to look like it did when it was sitting on a lot back then. I don't need any fancy 20 g paintjob, just needs to be black and well done.

MY BAD
10-15-2006, 05:30 AM
do what you must, but don't be disappointed in the end.

boarderfatty
10-15-2006, 04:57 PM
a Freind got one of his 180's painted there. He did all the body and prep work himself and got their cheapest enamle paint that was 400 for the entire car. It turned out pretty good, which was suprising. Their paint isnot going to be much different than others, its the quality of work that went into the prep

95EagleAWD
10-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Yep..

Prep is 90% of paintwork. If the prep sucks, then the paint probably will.

Weapon_R
10-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Maaco is absolutely awful, esp the one in the NE. A guy I know painted there and his car is full of dust marks and visible mistakes.

funkedelic
10-15-2006, 11:29 PM
anyone know of a good shop that doesn't completely over charge? I wouldnt mind driving up to calgary to get it painted. I want to keep the price under $3,000 with everything included (Just exterior)

WWJAI
10-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic
anyone know of a good shop that doesn't completely over charge? I wouldnt mind driving up to calgary to get it painted. I want to keep the price under $3,000 with everything included (Just exterior)

National Collision or Screamin Paintworks

thesmackdown
10-16-2006, 12:49 AM
$3,000 isn't asking too much just so long as there isn't extensive body work needed. I had my car done for 4300 IIRC at national collision which included body work aka rust repair, shaving some parts off for me, body kit installation, etc. Their work is awesome and they do many of the paint jobs of some of the nicer imports in calgary.

tapout
10-16-2006, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by barbarian
Maaco is where you take a rusted up car to hide the rust to sell the car. :werd: :barf:

funkedelic
10-16-2006, 06:01 AM
it doesn't need any body work, its an american car.. so the worst it has is a sunburn on the roof of the car (Just clear coat) .. and it has a little dent on the passenger door.

The reason i want to paint it is because the paintjob is over 10 years old.. its original paint but its BLACK- enough said with that. If anyone else has a black car, they will know what I am talking about. :(

el_fefes
10-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Well thanks for all the info guys. I am looking to get my mid 90s 3 series BMW t

it doesn't need any body work, its an american car..

BMW is american?

:dunno:

funkedelic
10-17-2006, 05:10 PM
no, its imported from germany, for sale in the states, then brought to canada. It was originally SOLD and registered, driven in the U.S