PDA

View Full Version : Effective Advertising?

MrPid
10-15-2006, 02:31 AM
This isn't an official poll or anything - maybe it should be.

I was watching tv earlier tonight and GM is running these ads for the new Cobalt and Aveo. The ads feature a commentator sitting on a bench in front of a typical suburban bungalow with some nerdy kids sitting in one of the cars in the driveway. The nerdy kid driving is johny and he always seems to dodge some moral or perceived safety issue while the commenator runs on about it. They have apparently followed it up with a website called johnny.ca.

I am just wondering if beyonders have seen these commercials and whether they find them appealing or not and why.

Maybe I just don't get it but personally, I think they should fire whoever came up with that particular campaign.

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-15-2006, 03:13 AM
I seriously wan't to stab johny in the eye. Repeatedly. I just hate him. Make's me want to burn all GM's

Mibz
10-15-2006, 11:17 AM
When the commentator gives Johnny the thumbs up and, "Way to go Johnny", I can't help it. I laugh.

DepTrotter
10-15-2006, 11:22 AM
i just saw one and thought it was hilarious

the girl was coming on to him and he was worried about a parking ticket

hahahah

thats funny.. but it doesnt make me want one of these cars

theken
10-15-2006, 11:27 AM
they are effective i think, i would never buy one, but they seem to get alot of attention, so any attention = more money

NickGT
10-15-2006, 11:43 AM
You remembered every part of the ad including the website. Shitty or not, I think it served its purpose.

I know I've visited the website out of curiousity.

:dunno:

mac_82
10-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by NickGT
You remembered every part of the ad including the website. Shitty or not, I think it served its purpose.

:werd: If it got you guys talking about it, I would say its a succesful campaign.

MrPid
10-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by NickGT

I know I've visited the website out of curiousity.

True, I remembered it but it's more of a morbid curiosity. It does absolutely nothing towards making me want the car and weirdly enough, I can't recall what merits of the car they were trying to promote...

The one I remember had some big titted girl in the front seat with him who starts to undress (she's no beauty prize winner but she does have big tits to make the point) and johnny says something that causes her to start putting her coat back on. And I remember thinking...you poor kid, opportunities like that are not going to come that often for you.

I guess it must be some reverse psychology thing that I just don't get cause I don't find it all that funny either. Actually, my gut tells me that if I were the actual target audience I might even feel my intelligence had been insulted.

QuasarCav
10-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Us car enthusiasts are tainted, commercials really shouldn't have much impact on you car buying decision.

I find that GM's adds are less about how the car is and drives and more about the lifestyle surrounding them. I dont buy into that, I want to see a long drift across a desert with rock music playing the the background.

Annoyingrob
10-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by DepTrotter
the girl was coming on to him and he was worried about a parking ticket

"FINE! Let's just go grab a bite to eat!"

Hahaha, I laughed so hard at that commercial.