PDA

View Full Version : Chinese food buffet question

Golf IV
10-15-2006, 01:03 PM
HI,
Were is currently the best or more apetizing buffet in town?
Home food Inn, Singapore Sams, Regency Palace??
Thanks for all opinions.

Sprinter
10-15-2006, 01:19 PM
:thumbsdow for home food inn

A2VR6
10-15-2006, 01:27 PM
the only one i've been to recently was china rose and it was just "ok".

likwid
10-15-2006, 01:41 PM
home food inn is great

Speed_69
10-15-2006, 01:56 PM
The one i deerfoor mall is alright IMO. i believe it's called Buffet Yangtze :thumbsup:

Dehvee
10-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Peking Peking? But then again I'm biased :D

max_boost
10-15-2006, 04:06 PM
First thing, the place better crank up the steam table, if the water ain't hot, the food sitting there won't be hot.

Second thing, go during peak hours and the food will be fresher. Generally 12-1pm for lunch and 5-7pm for dinner. Or showing up right when it opens is also good haha Busier the place is, the better the food is.

Are you looking for a small or large buffet? My restaurant (Peking Peking) is a smaller one (16 items+Ice Cream) but we try our best to keep things really fresh and price is really reasonable. Just say you are from Beyond and you'll get hooked up.

:werd:

88CRX
10-15-2006, 04:35 PM
where is your restaraunt?

sxtasy
10-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Urban Rice has a pretty good lunch buffet!

EK 2.0
10-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Peking Peking...is the shit...I love the food and the service is great...plus you know you are baller when the workers come sit with you haha...

They even have the mint toothpicks...

I :love: Peking Peking...

max_boost
10-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
where is your restaraunt?

In Riverbend (South) off the Glenmore Trail/18ST SE Intersection.

Weapon_R
10-16-2006, 01:43 AM
Peking Peking is by far the best place for Chinese i've tried. Go there!

Hash_man
10-16-2006, 02:14 AM

Interesting... I'm down there all the time, is it in the shopping center? I can't believe I've missed it, gonna have to give it a try one day.

tapout
10-16-2006, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
First thing, the place better crank up the steam table, if the water ain't hot, the food sitting there won't be hot.

Second thing, go during peak hours and the food will be fresher. Generally 12-1pm for lunch and 5-7pm for dinner. Or showing up right when it opens is also good haha Busier the place is, the better the food is.

Are you looking for a small or large buffet? My restaurant (Peking Peking) is a smaller one (16 items+Ice Cream) but we try our best to keep things really fresh and price is really reasonable. Just say you are from Beyond and you'll get hooked up.

:werd: do you guys use lard?

DepTrotter
10-16-2006, 01:58 PM
do you deliver?

whats the address thats in my general area and i havent been able to find a chinese restaurant i was genuinely interested in

bituerbo
10-16-2006, 02:09 PM
I went to peking peking... Not to diss your restaurant but I wouldn't recommend for dine-in. Get the to-go tray and bring home or take back to work. Food was great, but all those people complimenting the service? I guess I went on an off night...

JspecB16
10-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
I went to peking peking... Not to diss your restaurant but I wouldn't recommend for dine-in. Get the to-go tray and bring home or take back to work. Food was great, but all those people complimenting the service? I guess I went on an off night...

You know you were at a buffet right? Were you expecting them to roll the lunch tray over to your table? All I expect from a buffet is a full glass of water/pop and nice people at the door. which is exactly what peking peking offers.

Peking Peking FTW:thumbsup:

:werd: Sam

natejj
10-16-2006, 02:28 PM
I hear this place downtown called ABC is the shite. You know this, because its always packed with asians! Follow the asians.....

If you want CHEAP, imperial bowl on 17th ave and 37th street is 6.50 for lunch..... but you get what you pay for. :barf:

dj_rice
10-16-2006, 02:30 PM

Sweeeet,

If I go, do I get to your place do I get to meet and greet and have a picture taken with you??:goflames: :clap:

guessboi
10-16-2006, 08:12 PM
hey max_boost, is your restaurant by the sobeys? if so I think I been there before like a couple years ago when I worked at an engineering firm that summer. maybe I should drop by again. I think I remember the most is the ice-cream. lol
:D

Dehvee
10-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by guessboi
hey max_boost, is your restaurant by the sobeys? if so I think I been there before like a couple years ago when I worked at an engineering firm that summer. maybe I should drop by again. I think I remember the most is the ice-cream. lol

Yeah it is by the Sobeys, right in between the registry and hair salon.

nos_efx
10-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Where is peking peking located anyways?

I don't know about you guys but everytime I go for chinese buffet I get the runs..... same goes with the chinese buffet "style" foods at the food courts.... most notably the one in 5th ave place and the ones in petro canada :nut:

Supa Dexta
10-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Peking Peking
232-8338 18 Street SE, Calgary, AB T2C 4E4

...?

Dehvee
10-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Peking Peking
232-8338 18 Street SE, Calgary, AB T2C 4E4

...?

Bingo

brownchild
10-18-2006, 10:41 PM
hows the Peking duck? Good for take out?

SoSlowDx
10-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Peking Peking is good :thumbsup:

Plus d/c from Sam :D

Gain a lot of weight when I used to work for him :rofl:

dodger97
10-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Wow...Peking Peking is right around the corner from my house.

Stupid question but what type of items are available? Is it the typical ginger beef, etc?

Have to go try it out...:)

max_boost
10-19-2006, 12:37 AM
Your typical buffet, wonton soup, spring rolls, rice, vegetables, noodles, ginger beef, sweet sour pork, chicken wings, beef black bean sauce etc. and ice cream haha

Lunch is 11am-2pm
Dinner 4pm-8pm

We don't have Peking Duck.

EK 2.0
10-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Your typical buffet, wonton soup, spring rolls, rice, vegetables, noodles, ginger beef, sweet sour pork, chicken wings, beef black bean sauce etc. and ice cream haha

Lunch is 11am-2pm
Dinner 4pm-8pm

hmmmmm...I might drop by for lunch tomorrow haha...:drool:

Justing
10-19-2006, 12:58 AM
Just say you are from Beyond and you'll get hooked up.

is this the beyond.ca lowball style hook-up??
you charge 16 for buffet, i will offer 6...cash money! (you deliver)
:rofl:

Murphy
10-19-2006, 01:45 AM

Lunch is 11am-2pm
Dinner 4pm-8pm

Ill come and eat at your buffet if you would just sell me your TSE3 hahahaha.

PS. Is it the buffet located next to the hotel ... or near McDonalds in Riverbend.

MrPid
10-19-2006, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Golf IV
HI,
Were is currently the best or more apetizing buffet in town?
Home food Inn, Singapore Sams, Regency Palace??
Thanks for all opinions.

Treasures of China - skip all the chinese food and go straight for the Mongolie grill at the back and get your stuff hot off the grill on rice.:thumbsup:

mo_money2supe
10-19-2006, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by natejj
I hear this place downtown called ABC is the shite. You know this, because its always packed with asians! Follow the asians.....

Hahaha...the only reason why it's always packed with asians is 'cause asians are generally cheap, just like their prices. They taste okay, but honestly, you get what you pay for. It's nothing fancy, but I still go all the time 'cause I'm filled for the price.

And what's with the advertising for Peking Peking? The only reason why everyone's recommending it is 'cause Max_Boost owns the place and being that he's a baller on beyond, everyone wants to get on his good side. :whipped:

The last time I went there was back in the day when I went to school with his sister (almost 10 years ago now) and the fact that I live in the neighbourhood, and yeah I admit, the food's decent but it's all white-washed style food. If you want REAL Chinese food buffets, most places in Chinatown will get what you're looking for so long as you can stand the anything but clean restaurants.

A790
10-19-2006, 07:26 AM

I didn't know you owned it! I used to go there all the time!

EK 2.0
10-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
And what's with the advertising for Peking Peking? The only reason why everyone's recommending it is 'cause Max_Boost owns the place and being that he's a baller on beyond, everyone wants to get on his good side. :whipped:

so naive...and besides...I was already on his good side...tool...:rolleyes:

dodger97
10-19-2006, 01:22 PM
I don't know what the hell is going on with this forum lately but it seems everytime someone expresses an opinion or praises something - there are 10 haters who come along and spread bs.

This is a relatively benign thread - either that or I didn't know what a "hot" topic Chinese Buffet really is.

I for one have never met "Max Boost" - but I still would like to visit his restaurant to form an opinion for myself not because he is a "baller" on Beyond. Cuz really - how would I benefit from that?

Anyway, sorry for the rant...back to what this thread should be about.

Billet
10-19-2006, 02:52 PM
its true ... Peking peking is good!

topmade
10-19-2006, 03:09 PM
I don't go to much buffets, but have been to Buffet Yangtze a couple of times and they are not bad with a lot of selection to choose from.

I go to New dynasty from time to time just off of Country hills Blvd when I don't feel like cooking and they are alright as well.

Can't say much for the the other places as I've never tried them because my wife is a awesome cook and can cook up any dish you can order from the restaurant FTW
:thumbsup:

Clever
10-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Just because you posted that i'm never going to Peking Peking ever! I'd rather be siding with you instead, just so I go against the grain, not be a sheep:rofl: :rofl:

Is this by the Riverbend Station?

my buddy bartends there, maybe we'll swing by before getting drunk at the station next time.

The last time I went there was back in the day when I went to school with his sister (almost 10 years ago now) and the fact that I live in the neighbourhood, and yeah I admit, the food's decent but it's all white-washed style food. If you want REAL Chinese food buffets, most places in Chinatown will get what you're looking for so long as you can stand the anything but clean restaurants.

blueToy
10-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Ginger Beef Brentwood :thumbsdow
Went today , and it reminds me of why I haven't been there for 2 years . That said though , I can't really reccommend any Chinese buffets because I rarely do them , or Chinese eateries other then Emerald Garden . Good luck though .

brownchild
10-19-2006, 04:24 PM
honeslty I dont really care about the cleanliness that much, as long as its not over the top dirty. Im just tired of all the ordinary shit thats aimed at the good ol' white folks. I wanna try a really authentic and flavorful Chinese place, throw me some names, like I said I dont care about the cleanliness, as long as its as close to as real Chinese as it can get.

RSeXy
10-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by brownchild
honeslty I dont really care about the cleanliness that much, as long as its not over the top dirty. Im just tired of all the ordinary shit thats aimed at the good ol' white folks. I wanna try a really authentic and flavorful Chinese place, throw me some names, like I said I dont care about the cleanliness, as long as its as close to as real Chinese as it can get.

I don't think there is any buffet that is as close to "real" Chinese. From my experiences, buffets are really there to cater to those wanting Western Chinese food. If you want real Chinese, you'll have to forgo the buffet and order menu items.

When ordering off the menu, I like Golden Inn, Sun Chui Kee (good for snacks), Silver Dragon.

As for comments on Peking Peking serving "white-washed" style food...they are catering to their demographic, and really...I think its done quite well. :bigpimp: :thumbsup:

tapout
10-19-2006, 09:38 PM

Lunch is 11am-2pm
Dinner 4pm-8pm

We don't have Peking Duck. well i hit it up there today & i liked it.great food everything was fresh the ginger beef is osome.

great place thanks sam

will see you again

max_boost
10-19-2006, 10:20 PM
haha Ok guys. I never tried to claim it was authentic or that it was the best. Those of you who enjoyed it, great! Those of you who have had better elsewhere, that's cool too.

EK 2.0
10-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Peking Peking is EK 2.0 endorsed...:drool: :thumbsup:

theken
10-19-2006, 11:01 PM
peking peking is good, they sell beer, and has a dirty fish tank out front, so theres you authentic dirty chinese place, i might have to go there tomorrow after i get off work. sam keep something hot for me

nos_efx
10-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Has anyone eaten the crab that they have at Buffet Yangtze..... tastes like snot.... NASTY :thumbsdow

Had the runs the next day......

RandomAnything
10-20-2006, 10:58 AM
There is one in temple that really good... the name threw me off from trying it but its really good best dumplings ever... i think its called Harvey's chinese... the name dosent make it sound too authentic but its awsome and cheap they always give me a shit load of steamed veggies as an extra when i order.

Speed_69
10-20-2006, 01:19 PM
haha Ok guys. I never tried to claim it was authentic or that it was the best. Those of you who enjoyed it, great! Those of you who have had better elsewhere, that's cool too.
How much is it for a buffet at peking peking?

Dehvee
10-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

How much is it for a buffet at peking peking?

Lunch $8.95
Dinner $11.95

Kritafo
10-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Speaking of Chinese Food,

anyone know if Peking Garden on Varsity is the same owners of the one that used to be on 17th Ave SW?

man I would kill for some of thse Mussels in Black Bean sauce it was incredible.

Kritafo

mo_money2supe
10-20-2006, 11:30 PM
:dunno: :confused: So I don't come on Beyond for a whole 2 days 'cause I had to study for midterms and there's already hatin' for me on here? True ol' Beyond mentality...

I mean, when did I ever say I had anything against Peking Peking?? Or anything against Max_Boost? To get things straight, I have absolutely nothing against them/him; I even said the food's pretty good there if you had bothered reading my post. I completely agree with the comment about how Peking Peking caters to their demographic, no doubt about that! And what I said was EXACTLY that too. It's just because I'm Chinese, I would rather stick to Chinese foods that are not catered to caucasians, and thus, I posted to let the OP know that Chinatown will get you the real authenticity, dirty fish tanks and bathrooms included :D.

For those who have an idealized taste of Chinese food and don't want to try the authentic taste (I'm sure some of you may not even like it anyway), give Peking Peking a try. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It's also nice to take a peak at whatever new things Sam has done to his new whip(s) while you're there too! :bigpimp:

Btw, sorry to those who may have been offended by my previous post. Re-read it and you'll understand my original intent. There was absolutely no hatin' in there; hope you realized that. :angel:

dodger97
10-21-2006, 03:57 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong...but that strikes me as a SLAM if I ever saw one..."white-washed food" - explain that one to me. I think I know what you mean but I want it in writing from you.

Obviously you know the family of the owners' - why would you post anything but praise for the restaurant???

Again - WTF is wrong on this forum...FULL MOON again???:dunno:

mo_money2supe
10-21-2006, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by dodger97

Correct me if I'm wrong...but that strikes me as a SLAM if I ever saw one..."white-washed food" - explain that one to me. I think I know what you mean but I want it in writing from you.

Obviously you know the family of the owners' - why would you post anything but praise for the restaurant???

Again - WTF is wrong on this forum...FULL MOON again???:dunno:

Well, I think you're taking the term "white-washed" as demeaning, in which I did not intend, and are taking it WAY TOO SERIOUSLY! If you want a better term, then "Westernized" Chinese food would be a better description. Now, RE-READ everything with that subbed in and you'll understand.

Who said I knew the family of the owners'? I knew his sister from back in Jr./Sr. High, and that's about it. I'm now 23 and even high school was something of a past that I don't even consider significant. In other words, I'm not saying the restaurant is good/bad based on my relationship with knowing ONE member of the family, in the past might I add, I'm saying that from my EXPERIENCE AT THE RESTAURANT, I think they taste fairly good, even if it is "Westernized" Chinese food.

And in case you STILL think I'm bashing the restaurant, I was originally stating to the OP that if they want TRADITIONAL Chinese food dishes (ie. NOT ginger beef), then try Chinatown to satisfy his/her tastebuds.

Now, instead of making a thread about how you obviously misunderstood my comment(s) :drama: , let's return to the original question: WHERE IN CALGARY SERVES AUTHENTIC CHINESE FOOD - BUFFET STYLE!

EDIT: By the way, props to Max_Boost, from a business perspective, to taking criticism well:

GoChris
10-21-2006, 09:08 AM
If you are in the south, you can drive to Okotoks and goto the Big Rock Inn, they have chinese food buffet, I think on weekends, ie, friday, saturday night.

It's pretty good, I get a to go box about once a week from there for lunch. They have well over 20 items, plus deserts and more

szw
10-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Peking Peking's dumpling hot sauce is the shiet. Best tasting chilli oil i ever had.

EK 2.0
10-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Peking Peking is EK 2.0 endorsed...:drool: :thumbsup: