PDA

View Full Version : paint swirls

codepoet101
10-15-2006, 04:48 PM
alright i have a black talon and it used to be paint swirl free sadly now it is not, im going to drive it all winter but i wanted to give it some tlc before the snow, what detailing steps shoud i take and what do they do?
claybar?
polish?
wax?

also what are good brands to use to eliminate the swirl?

Calgarydetail
10-15-2006, 07:28 PM
It really depends how intense you want to go, There is always the clay polish wax, which is very basic and will take a couple hours. The problem is your only hiding the swirls with a filler polsih, to get rid of them you need to cut the clear. To do this you need to get some sort of polisher (the ones at candian tire for 40 backs are crap)

What I noraly do for this is

Wash using victoria wax super suds
Clay using w.e clay I have, right now Victoria wax again
Polish with optum compund with a porter cable on speed 5 (i sue differednt pads depedning)
Then i go over it again with a less agresive polish like pinnacle XMT 2 or 1.
I then follow up with Klasse All in one, its an awsome product and I count this as my sealing step.
Finnaly i top with a good wax, my tops right now are Victoria wax Concours and Zymol Carbon. the wax i choose depends on the person and there car, some want deeper some want longer lasting

Wait 24 hours for the wax to cure and giver her a second coat
This should clear up your swirls no problem

codepoet101
10-15-2006, 07:41 PM
what kind of cost are we looking at to have it done:?

Calgarydetail
10-15-2006, 10:45 PM
If you do it yourself you can pick it all up for like 100 excluding the polsiher assuming you have nothing

Shops are expensive for work like this its very labour intensive. Depending on the car size and hwo bad the swirls it could be between 150 (just an estimate it MAY BE cheaper ormore expsenvive) to like 500. From the sounds of it, it ould probley be done for liik 150-200. Again your not going to know untill you get it quoted, peolpe are idiots if they quote online.

Mitsu3000gt
10-16-2006, 09:30 AM
What temperature does it have to be to polish/wax? I thought I remembered hearing it needs to be 10 degrees or 17 degrees or something like that.

Also, does anyone know what 3M's all in 1 product is called? I've been hearing alot of good about it and want to try it out. My neighbor is friends with the guy who owns Concours and apparently thats what they use now because they like it so much. You are supposed to be able to just change between pads but use all the same polish for compounding and finishing. I think it is the same idea as Klasse all in one.

KKY
10-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Klasse AIO is mostly a paint cleaner, not polish. Optimum Polish is a polish I can think of with a wider range versatility.

Calgarydetail
10-16-2006, 08:53 PM
As for the tempature, it dosnet really matter for polishing, what you have to remeber is that polishes have abrasives, they still work even when its cold. Plus thre is lots of heat generated from the polisher. I wouldnt worry about polsiheding in colder weather, AS long as you dont loose your hands lol. (i wouldnt recomend it in minus 30 weather). As for waxing Im not sure there would be a real issue, there might me I havent tried to do it in the winter. I think youll be fine if you using a wax that is applied then has to sit and let haze. It hazes when its bonded type thing so i wouldnt worry. As for a Wax on wax off wax I honselty dont know. I always do it at a coint wash that I iuse as a shop (the owner is my partner) so im always in the heat.
But ya to summerize my rambling I dont think the tempature would matter much assuming its not bad enough to casue you to be frozen.

Just my 2 cents though

asfor the 3m, I have tried mre then my fair share of products bet never 3M, maybe that will be the next one on my list

codepoet101
10-24-2006, 09:14 PM
alright well i got some nano wax and they are gone 100% took about an hour to do the whole car and about 20$ best deal if you have swirls try this shit its amazing, car shines like never before

sneek
10-24-2006, 09:19 PM
I'm actually really surprised you got nanowax to work for you! I have tried it several times with no luck, applied by hand and PC.

NXT tech wax isn't my favorite product but it does a decent job of filling swirls.

this video is pretty impressive:http://www.meguiars.co.uk/Meg_Videos/TECH_WAX_300.wmv

Mitsu3000gt
10-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Nanowax will fill swirls for a tiny bit and then back to normal. I would use a good paint sealant instead of a wax and if you want to get rid of swirls clay/polish your car first.

Impreza
10-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Klasse twins (AIO and Sealant) should do a good job. If not, try the Poorboys SSR swirl removers...

www.eshine.ca

Mitsu3000gt
10-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Any of you guys know a good place in calgary like a body shop supply place that has alot of polishing products (3M specifically) and guys who know what their talking about?

I need to get some stuff and get going on my car before it gets too cold.

KKY
10-25-2006, 11:09 PM
I've seen 3M stuffs at NAPA..... as for the guys there... i'm not sure.... Maybe you can try Calgary Body Shop Supplies as well