PDA

View Full Version : Bus Trap Fiasco *MERGED*

al-ti2d
10-17-2006, 06:33 PM
So I was coming home just now from Beddington Trail, and as I'm coming down the exit towards underneath that bridge right before the driving range and the new T&T, I look to my left where theres a bus trap and I see all these police cars and trucks parked with their lights flashing... and the bus trap is all surrounded with the yellow police tape and about 5 or 6 officers were standing there looking into the bus trap or so it seemed like... Anyone know whats up?? Did they find a dead body in there or something?

dj_rice
10-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Nothing on Citybeat yet

blueToy
10-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Is that where the kid got hit in the head by a rock shooting out from a passing bus tire ?? I could be wrong .

al-ti2d
10-17-2006, 07:57 PM
^ could be? i just saw that the police were all looking into the bottom of the bus trap so I thought that someone might have dumped a body into there or something like that :dunno:

l8braker
10-17-2006, 07:59 PM
http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybeat/public/2006/10/release.20061017_190537_8267_0

TeamBestBud
10-17-2006, 07:59 PM
^^beat me to it^^

carter_prelude
10-17-2006, 08:04 PM
what the hells a tire rack? sorry i don't get out often ;)

rc2002
10-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Tire track you mean? I understand what that is. But WTF is a bus trap?

Did the kid just put a rock on the road where the bus stop is?

msommers
10-17-2006, 08:09 PM
honestly, what the hell is the point of bus traps anyways? sorry to sound ignorant but I've never heard anything good come of them

al-ti2d
10-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Tire track you mean? I understand what that is. But WTF is a bus trap?

Did the kid just put a rock on the road where the bus stop is?

hmm.. i'm not entirely sure that it actually is called a bus-trap. everyone I know always called it the bus-trap so I went along with that too. Its one of those pit things where only busses and large trucks can go over and anything smaller than that will just end up with a front end smashed into the bottom of the pit.

*EDIT* okay so I just read that report linked above and it is called a bus trap lol.

Nova316
10-17-2006, 08:10 PM
I think its one of those only bus enter here terminals
then kids stuck a rock between the tracks?

stealth
10-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Weird, in Edmonton we have bus traps, but why would you put a rock in one? Does it doo something.

I think a bus trap is just a road that has a dip in it and only the tires/width of a bus can drive through it:dunno:

NGRPLZ.NET
10-17-2006, 09:22 PM
http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybeat/public/2006/10/release.20061017_190537_8267_0

At 4:50 PM today, the Calgary Police Service responded to
Beddington Tr. and Centre St. N., to a report of young person
who had sustained a head injury as a result of a freak
accident.

While at first it was difficult to determine what happened,
police now know that the injured young person and friend had
placed a rock on the tire track of the bus trap at that
location. Their experiment went horribly wrong when the next
bus, unaware of what was happening, drove over the bus trap
propelling the rock into the young persons head.

A 14 year old male was transported by EMS to the Children's
Hospital with a life threatening head injury.

The Calgary Police Service and Calgary Transit remind all
citizens of the dangers of bus traps, and caution against any
activity which may be contrary to the design purpose of
restricting access to transit vehicles.

Honda_002
10-17-2006, 09:26 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahah I am laughing my fucking ass of right that that is absolutley hilarious:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BlkMaxima
10-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by NGRPLZ.NET

A 14 year old male was transported by EMS to the Children's
Hospital with a life threatening head injury.

[/B]

Wow HAHAH So funny !!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rc2002
10-17-2006, 09:29 PM
:repost: :closed:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150610

?????
10-17-2006, 09:34 PM
One of these kids perhaps?

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146717

bigboom
10-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by BlkMaxima

where are parents to teach their kids not to be so dumb?

msommers
10-17-2006, 10:25 PM
probably at the corner across the street doing the same thing

dennisaur
10-17-2006, 10:33 PM
hmm i don't think i've ever seen a bus trap heh

kaput
10-17-2006, 10:38 PM

95EagleAWD
10-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by BlkMaxima

It is.

Karma's a bitch and you're smart enough at 14 to know not to do that.

Guess he learned the hard way.

He's an idiot.

VW02
10-17-2006, 11:56 PM
why the hell would someone put a rock there? pretty funny how it flew out and hit him in the head lol. oh well

Akagi Redsuns
10-18-2006, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by dennisaur
hmm i don't think i've ever seen a bus trap heh

It's really called a car trap, but yeah. Hard to miss, but somehow there are people that drive right into it. Excuse the horrible quality, but it was cellphone from a few year back.

http://members.shaw.ca/Akagi_Redsuns/pit.jpg

Xtrema
10-18-2006, 01:26 AM
Hope he dies and serve as reminders for all these stupid Jackass wannabes'.

Zero102
10-18-2006, 01:41 AM
Wow, that is a pretty dumb thing to do, but I am amazed that it had such dire consequences!
Kind of like putting a penny on the train tracks I suppose. I did that as a kid a few times, and one time it shot out and hit the tree I was standing beside.... that smartened me up in a big hurry!

soupey
10-18-2006, 02:09 AM
bus traps are designed to limit traffic between different areas to buses only, just so that people dont race thru some residential areas to take a shortcut, but busses can still cross through to get wherever they need to go...

BigDannyCool
10-18-2006, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

you're an ass. why would you hope anyone to die?

Gooseberry
10-18-2006, 05:08 AM

Jackass Wannabes? Wanna explain how you came up with that?

Xtrema
10-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Gooseberry

Jackass Wannabes? Wanna explain how you came up with that?

I was commenting kids in this thread.

Originally posted by ?????

Some pranks are funny and harmless. But I have no tolerance on destruction of properties or endanger other people's lives.

How would you feel if that rock shoots out and fuck up your car? How would you feel if it kills someone you care over a stupid prank? Like I said, I hope Darwinism prevails.

l8braker
10-18-2006, 08:31 AM
No small rock

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/rmkf550/rock.jpg

BerserkerCatSplat
10-18-2006, 08:57 AM
I hope the kid makes a full recovery, but I laughed pretty hard when I first heard that. Instant karma's a bitch.

sexualbanana
10-18-2006, 09:11 AM
I fail to see how some people think the kid deserves it. As children, we all tried some weird things just to see what would happen. I never would've thought a bus trap was capable of propelling a rock like that at such a high rate of speed.

carter_prelude
10-18-2006, 05:32 PM
I still dont' see how a rock could be shot that hard from a bus...I remember now seeing one of those bus traps before a few years ago.

pepschnops
10-18-2006, 05:38 PM

you've gotta be pretty ignorant to say something like that. its great how people make assumptions. what is the chance it was a 14 year old kid who was just wondering what would happen. its kinda like sticking a knife it a toaster, you dont know what will happen until you do it. its really sad that people make comments like this. think before you speak.

GTS Jeff
10-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Hope he dies and serve as reminders for all these stupid Jackass wannabes'. I fail to see how the death of a single 14 year old would do anything to cure humanity of stupidity.

Cruz
10-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by l8braker
No small rock

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/rmkf550/rock.jpg

Good call. What happened to that kid probably isn't as bad as what he was hoping would happen to the bus.

finboy
10-18-2006, 06:20 PM

..... every skit in there is on cky1 and cky2k, those kids suck at life.

as per rock boy, sucks that he got injured, but instant karma is awsome :D

Seanith
10-18-2006, 06:30 PM
I wonder how close the kid was standing to where the rock was?

Cruz
10-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Wasn't standing...was laying in the grass as per the story.

msommers
10-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by soupey
bus traps are designed to limit traffic between different areas to buses only, just so that people dont race thru some residential areas to take a shortcut, but busses can still cross through to get wherever they need to go...

This is the reason they give? Dear God. I'm not even gonna touch this

Xtrema
10-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by msommers

This is the reason they give? Dear God. I'm not even gonna touch this

They are there in neighborhoods that worry about excessive traffic thru their area and petition to put one in.

But if you bought a house on CENTRE ST. what do you expect?

I wonder how many people in Conuntry Hill/Conventry Hill/Harvest Hill/ Panorama Hills have to petition to get that removed?

?????
10-18-2006, 11:42 PM
News said the kid passed away today.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-19-2006, 12:07 AM
News said the kid passed away today.

How unfortunate. :(

Now that I think about it, how the hell could a bus shoot out a rock of that size, even if placed on the track? It's not like a stone that big could get stuck in the tire tread or something. Also, it would need quite a bit of velocity to strike a child laying down a distance away with enough force to kill. It's not like the bus was doing burnouts, I think it's safe to assume. So, I'm puzzled about how a freak accident like this could even occur.

GTS Jeff
10-19-2006, 01:17 AM

the kid passed away today.

Looks like Xtrema got his wish...

Most people do a lot of dumb things in their lifetimes, especially when they're teenagers. Most of those people are also fortunate enough to make it through those years alive and grow out of their stupidity. I know I am thankful to have come through my teenage years relatively unscathed and hopefully wiser too. In this case, the saddest thing is that this child, through a turn of unlucky events, won't be given the same opportunities to mature and learn from his mistakes like many other people.

I hope everyone here can join me in offering condolences to the bereaved, and I also hope that some good can come of their loss, that this death can serve as a reminder to people to cherish what they have and to not go overboard in their teenage years.

blueToy
10-19-2006, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

How unfortunate. :(

Now that I think about it, how the hell could a bus shoot out a rock of that size, even if placed on the track? It's not like a stone that big could get stuck in the tire tread or something. Also, it would need quite a bit of velocity to strike a child laying down a distance away with enough force to kill. It's not like the bus was doing burnouts, I think it's safe to assume. So, I'm puzzled about how a freak accident like this could even occur.

See it happen lots .

In my early years of roadbuilding I've witnessed rocks getting in between tires of gravel trucks and the concrete and shooting out in every direction , and with conciderable force and speed . All it takes is a good smack in the right spot of the noggen . It's a pretty sensitive piece of hardware . How sad ....

CasperWho
10-19-2006, 02:43 AM
THAT IS TERRIBLE! :eek:
AND ALL U PPL LAUGHING. TALKING ABOUT KARMA?
ITS ONLY GONNA COME BACK 2 U!

R.I.P :thumbsdow

Xtrema
10-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
I hope everyone here can join me in offering condolences to the bereaved, and I also hope that some good can come of their loss, that this death can serve as a reminder to people to cherish what they have and to not go overboard in their teenage years.

RIP and kids, don't be stoopid.

l8braker
10-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Looks like Xtrema got his wish...

Most people do a lot of dumb things in their lifetimes, especially when they're teenagers. Most of those people are also fortunate enough to make it through those years alive and grow out of their stupidity. I know I am thankful to have come through my teenage years relatively unscathed and hopefully wiser too. In this case, the saddest thing is that this child, through a turn of unlucky events, won't be given the same opportunities to mature and learn from his mistakes like many other people.

Well said.

Thoughts and prayers to the Family.

:(

riceeater
10-19-2006, 08:48 AM
that's so shitty to hear the little guy died :banghead: i was driving by less than half hour after it happened and saw a bunch of cops blocking off the bus trap as i was driving along beddington... i imediately thought " oh no, another shooting, more people dead :cry: " but when i got home and heard about the kid doing that shit i couldnt help feeling really bad... now to hear that he died, is really shitty to hear;

i swear, some of you have lost even whatever bit of basic decency and simpathy you've ever had... how can you be happy this guy died? fuck you and eat a dick, like you never goof around at all you fuckin hipocrites.... they werent pulling jackass moves, the kid and his 12yo friend put a rock in the middle of the road for the bus to run over; it's like putting a bottle cap on a train rail to see it get squished like hundreds of thousands of kids have done over the years, and a freak bounce throws the bottle cap right in your eye... are you a fuckin idiot who deserves to die, or jsut someone who's luck suddenly ran out and a freak accident got them good... i seriously wonder how many dozen of times kids have put rocks and shit just like these kids, and had no close calls or other similar incidents...

i wouldnt be surprised if they put the rock in the middle of the rails so the bus cant avoid it, and then when the bus tried to swerve a bit around it, instead of the tire going right over the rock, it went over half the rock or whatever, enough to shoot it out the side :dunno:

Pihsiak
10-19-2006, 09:28 AM
I think the kid became a veg or somthing because the radio said his family pulled him off life support.

Lex350
10-19-2006, 09:35 AM

You got your wish asshole...I hope you are happy.

This was just a case of kids being kids. Nothing more that what all of us might have been doing when we were that age. I feel sorry for the parents.

Pacman
10-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Ok, I'm confused.

So what do you think this poor little fellow was trying to achive by putting the rock there?

Was it supposed to fly out and hit something? Hit the underside of the bus?

Xtrema
10-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by rotten42

You got your wish asshole...I hope you are happy.

This was just a case of kids being kids. Nothing more that what all of us might have been doing when we were that age. I feel sorry for the parents.

Dude was 14, not 9, should've known better. I'm not sure why you guys are defending this guy. To me, it's tinkering with city properties endangering lives. It's no different than randomly shooting a gun in a crowd and see what the bullet hits.

If that rock kill not this boy but your son just on his way home from school, will you accept it as "kids being kids"?

Originally posted by Pacman
Ok, I'm confused.

So what do you think this poor little fellow was trying to achive by putting the rock there?

Was it supposed to fly out and hit something? Hit the underside of the bus?

Probably want to see the bus driver/passengers freaked out.

Lex350
10-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Xtrema

Comparing this act to shooting off a gun in a crowd shows me that you are a complete idiot with not grasp of rational thought.

Regardless of the action, your wish that this kids dies demonstrates the complete lack of class, reasoning and compassion on your part. Please do everyone a favor and go fuck yourself!!!

adam c
10-19-2006, 10:09 AM
my mom works at the childrens hospital in the ICU department. and she had to get the death package ready, he was pulled off life support last night and died

tapout
10-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
Xtrema

Comparing this act to shooting off a gun in a crowd shows me that you are a complete idiot with not grasp of rational thought.

Regardless of the action, you wish that this kids dies demonstrates the complete lack of class, reasoning and compassion on your part. Please do everyone a favor and go fuck yourself!!! :werd:

HRD2PLZ
10-19-2006, 10:13 AM
RIP and condolences to the family. I did lots of dumb things when I was younger too, I am sure most of us did. We were just lucky that we never had to pay for them with our lives.

Aleks
10-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Wishing for a 14 year old to die is just cruel.

When we were little we put small pebbles/rocks on freight train tracks to see if they'd get crushed. But we use to hide behind a building when the train came. Same shit, kids are curious.

RIP

Cruz
10-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Laws of physics. I'm not a physics major but I don't think it's all that different than some of the big rocks that smack your windshield when you're on the Deerfoot.

Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
RIP and condolences to the family. I did lots of dumb things when I was younger too, I am sure most of us did. We were just lucky that we never had to pay for them with our lives.

Good point. Most of us, as youths, have probably had close brushes with death that we may not even be aware of. Had the rock's trajectory been 1 degree in either direction, the kids would have laughed about it and gone about their business of being kids.

Z_Fan
10-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Very sad.

RIP.

Xtrema
10-19-2006, 11:39 AM
I concede. Kids will be kids. They can do whatever they want and shouldn't have to pay for the consequence of their actions. Because we all do it and we didn't die from it, so it's ok.

shawtie
10-19-2006, 12:45 PM
RIP :(

Quite disgusted that someone would wish that this kid died, absolutly disgusting!!!

BerserkerCatSplat
10-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Cruz

Laws of physics. I'm not a physics major but I don't think it's all that different than some of the big rocks that smack your windshield when you're on the Deerfoot.

The difference is that the rotational velocity of the wheel of a vehicle going 110-odd km/hr on Deerfoot is much higher than that of a bus moving through a car trap. Thus, the tangential velocity of the rock when it leaves the treads would be proportionally higher. Also, the fact that your car on Deerfoot is moving into the rock at a high velocity also causes much of the damage.

I suspect that riceeater's suggestion is right, that the bus ran over the (fairly round) rock with only half the tire tread, so the rock shot out sideways when the full weight of the bus moved on top of it, due to weight and air pressure in the tire trying to return to shape. A freak accident indeed, the probablility of the velocity and angle being just right to strike the child would be incredibly small.

I concede. Kids will be kids. They can do whatever they want and shouldn't have to pay for the consequence of their actions. Because we all do it and we didn't die from it, so it's ok.

It's not the "consequences" that are the problem. Yes, the child should have been punished for something silly like putting a rock where a bus would drive over it - a serious talking to probably would have sufficed. But to wish death upon the child, for something so silly? Disgusting.

topmade
10-19-2006, 01:04 PM
RIP a very very very harsh lessoned learned. It's very easy to shoot a rock from a car. Try stepping on a fair sized round rock just off the center and it will pop out. Then imagine the weight of a bus with rubber wheels and that thing will probably go through some walls.

All said and I think that particular car trap is so frustrating living in Panorama and working downtown. I know a tow truck driver that says people fall in those car traps all the time and going at 50km/hr most cars are write off's.

?????
10-19-2006, 01:09 PM
RIP

Yea theres probably 1 car in that trap almost everyday. I dont' see why its so frustrating and how people can miss the huge sign.

Lex350
10-19-2006, 01:29 PM
I can remember a buddy used to drive an old 66 Chrysler. It could fit over the vehicle traps. The car was just wide enough.

Ca_Silvia13
10-19-2006, 01:51 PM
^Cop cars can do it too

codetrap
10-19-2006, 01:55 PM

Toms-SC
10-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Bring on the lawsuits

KuruptEX
10-19-2006, 02:47 PM
wow
R.I.P:( :(

Sprinter
10-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Condolences to his family... R.I.P.

Schwa
10-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

Well you stupid fucker. You got your wish. The child died.

You're one of those people that I wish I knew in person so I could beat you within an inch of your life in an attempt to teach you compassion.

Lol. What irony.

There is also the chance that the rock was lodged between both of the rear tires, and then it was just launched out. Having driven two ton Ford F550s, that is one of the things we were trained to watch out for when we did our vehicle inspections. A rock that size would not have to be going very fast in order to severely injure someone.

?????
10-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
^Cop cars can do it too

I don't think so. :bullshit:

KLCC
10-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Bring on the lawsuits

If that's the case, I wouldn't have any sympathy for the kid's family....

:rolleyes:

ricosuave
10-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Bring on the lawsuits

for what?!?!

01RedDX
10-20-2006, 12:53 AM

szw
10-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by ricosuave

for what?!?!

rocks

civicrazy2002
10-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Hope he dies and serve as reminders for all these stupid Jackass wannabes'. I wonder how you're going to get a good nite sleep from now on , now that you hoped for something so cruel and it actually happened:confused: Not that it happened because you "hoped" for it. But because obviously freak accidents like this happen ,and it's a part of life. But i guess you don't give two flying fucks! Right? Mr.Perfect? So do everyone that give more than two flying fucks a couple of favors.
1) PLEASE think twice before making such cruel and BOLD statements.
2) GO FUCK YOUR SELF.

You had this coming jackass. Bet you wish you could go back in time and delete your post , right? Don't even try to defend your statement anymore jackass.
*Edit* And this goes to everyone that laughed and thought it was funny. Think. Idiots.THINK!

Anyways . RIP little one.

CasperWho
10-20-2006, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

Well you stupid fucker. You got your wish. The child died.

You're one of those people that I wish I knew in person so I could beat you within an inch of your life in an attempt to teach you compassion.

Originally posted by civicrazy2002
I wonder how you're going to get a good nite sleep from now on , now that you hoped for something so cruel and it actually happened:confused: Not that it happened because you "hoped" for it. But because obviously freak accidents like this happen ,and it's a part of life. But i guess you don't give two flying fucks! Right? Mr.Perfect? So do everyone that give more than two flying fucks a couple of favors.
1) PLEASE think twice before making such cruel and BOLD statements.
2) GO FUCK YOUR SELF.

You had this coming jackass. Bet you wish you could go back in time and delete your post , right? Don't even try to defend your statement anymore jackass.

Anyways . RIP little one.

RIP!

LuxCars
10-20-2006, 02:21 AM
I agree with most people on this thread, how inconsiderate of you to say things like that and laugh at such a situation.
And all of you who did it know who you are.

Thats more embarrasing than the kids who pulled the rock stunt.

Fuck guys, grow up.

i dont want to be repetitive but when your 9, 10, 14 or whatever it may be, your still a kid and your still learning wright from wrong, and the most effective learning is through experience. Its to bad that this was the consequence of a young boys desire to learn.:thumbsdow

my deepest condolences to the family and friends affected.

ps. somem people talk like they are the most mature and smartest guys that ever lived. Open your eyes.

stevieo
10-20-2006, 02:36 AM
first of all, RIP little guy, its just too bad that happened.

2nd, FUCK YOU Xtrema, bitch.

Hope you can't sleep, and I hope when you do get a chance to rest, you feel guilty as fuck. You may not have had anything to do with this, but wishing death on someone... you asshole. even to the people I dislike, even to the point of hate, in my life- I would never wish death upon people.

we all do dumb shit, my brother just turned 14, hes still growing - of course he does dumb shit from time to time. we all did.

jdmakkord
10-20-2006, 07:21 AM
RIP Darwin strikes again.

Cruz
10-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Bring on the lawsuits

Who can you sue? The city? I don't think the parents would stand a chance.

The rock maybe.

Tik-Tok
10-20-2006, 10:51 AM

The rock maybe.

They'll still try. I can see the charges now... "The bus driver should have removed the rock from the path before continuing on the bustrap" :banghead:

Toms-SC
10-20-2006, 02:15 PM

The rock maybe.

Where there is a will there is a way

drew_goring
10-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
RIP Darwin strikes again.

LMAO!!! I was thinking that before I saw your post:nut:

TurboMedic
10-20-2006, 05:02 PM
RIP, sad freak accident. I'm sure we can all say we did something dumb a couple times in our lives, we were just lucky enough to not to pay the ultimate price!

Cheeze
10-20-2006, 05:08 PM
RIP!

Too bad a simple childhood prank had to prove fatal to that poor kid.

:(

max_boost
10-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Damn. I guess you can't learn your lesson if you are dead. What a freak accident.

M_K_3
10-20-2006, 09:34 PM
RIP buddy he went to the school right next to mine couple guys knew him....