PDA

View Full Version : Daughter decided to give"Dora the explorer" a drink of water!!!

civicrazy2002
10-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey guys and gals! Got home today only to find out my 3 year old daughter pretty much ruined my big screen tv:( Apperantly she tried to give "Dora" a cup of water , and poured it on the the screen causing a big black blotch at the bottom of the screen!! :banghead:

Now the question is: I have home renters insurance(State farm). Do they cover accidents like this? I haven't called them yet , and tried to find the policy but couldn't find it! Anyone have any idea's or info?

Thnx in advance...
Al.

ashee
10-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Too bad about your TV, that is cute though.
I'm pretty sure insurance won't cover it, but you could always call and see.
Does your TV have any warranties?

civicrazy2002
10-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Yeah , i have extended warranty but i was under the impression that they don't cover things like that but home renters do???

Ripper
10-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Ouch, I guess you would also have to take into consideration the deductable and how much your premiums would go up and decide if it was worth insurance or just footing the bill. Sucks either way :(.

1-Bar
10-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by ashee
Too bad about your TV, that is cute though.
I'm pretty sure insurance won't cover it, but you could always call and see.
Does your TV have any warranties?

TV warranties only cover manufacutre defects. Water damage is not covered as it is classisfied under user misuse/abuse.

ninspeed
10-17-2006, 10:27 PM
warranty covers defects,
insurance covers stupidty...

It should be covered

adamc
10-17-2006, 10:35 PM
what kinda screen is it, it might be fixable

90_Shelby
10-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar

TV warranties only cover manufacutre defects. Water damage is not covered as it is classisfied under user misuse/abuse.

But once it dries................ will warranty know the difference???? I doubt it, let warranty deal with it. Just remember, "I turned it on and it was messed up!!!!"

kaput
10-17-2006, 10:40 PM

Nissanaddict
10-17-2006, 10:44 PM
A 3 year old with allowance? Wow.

al-ti2d
10-17-2006, 10:46 PM
and this, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly why you should think twice before making the decision to have children :(

turbotrip
10-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby

But once it dries................ will warranty know the difference???? I doubt it, let warranty deal with it. Just remember, "I turned it on and it was messed up!!!!"

ive seen this method work on laptops, just say u turned it on and this is what showed up.

Lex350
10-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by al-ti2d
and this, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly why you should think twice before making the decision to have children :(

TOO BAD YOUR PARENTS DIDN'T THINK TWICE

shawtie
10-17-2006, 11:52 PM
:werd:

jay42w8
10-18-2006, 12:05 AM
what a dumb question...why should an insurance company or the manufactorer pay for a kid's stupidity......but yeah...u could just lie about it

and next time u see ur kid do that...wack em on the head, just kidding...kids are trouble..ill never want one

M_K_3
10-18-2006, 12:13 AM
how was the kid being stupid? i think thats really cute haha i would be mad but still man kids are kids..... try the warrenty and then the insurance.... if those dont work take it to a TV repair shop

adamc
10-18-2006, 12:15 AM
uhhh, insurance companies pay for people's stupidity every damn day.

Weapon_R
10-18-2006, 12:16 AM
thats really cute but anyways they WILL be able to tell if its water damage. A kid damaged a TV I used to have and I dried it for a couple weeks before I got a repairman in and he knew it was water damage immediately.

civicrazy2002
10-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by adamc
what kinda screen is it, it might be fixable
It's a 51'' Hitachi ultravision. Thanks for all your replies everyone! I'm going to try warranty first if that doesn't work, i guess i'll try the people i pay $25 a month to cover my personal property:rolleyes:
I'll keep y'all updated.

Al.

zieg
10-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by rotten42

TOO BAD YOUR PARENTS DIDN'T THINK TWICE

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I guess that's what you get for having such a sexual tv.. picture quality. If it was a 13" black & white she probably woudnt have done it. :D

Zero102
10-18-2006, 01:38 AM
Hopefully the deductable on your insurance is much less than the value of the TV, and they don't jack your rates up too badly.
It is crazy the things that kids do, no?... I remember breaking a lot of my parents stuff when I was growing up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the warranty fall through.
I suppose it's time to mount the TV a little bit higher next time?.... It is hard to predict what kids will do, but the rule my parents always tried to follow was to keep everything nice well out of our reach. It worked sometimes ;)

SI_futbol
10-18-2006, 07:01 AM
jus dry it up and take it in and say u have no idea wat went wrong. theyre usually to lazy to check.

topmade
10-18-2006, 07:19 AM
It should dry off after a while and be fine. Maybe even get a hair dryer on it to try to quicken the process. Warranty may/may not work depending on what side of the bed the technician woke up on, but I wouldn't be suprised if they fixed it.

A790
10-18-2006, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by jay42w8
what a dumb question...why should an insurance company or the manufactorer pay for a kid's stupidity......but yeah...u could just lie about it

and next time u see ur kid do that...wack em on the head, just kidding...kids are trouble..ill never want one

YOu will one day.

Especially whenn you're old and alone.

sputnik
10-18-2006, 07:31 AM
hopefully your daughter got a good spanking

TrevorK
10-18-2006, 07:54 AM
My insurance company offerred me additional insurance to cover accidental breakage and loss. I even confirmed if I could drop my TV and be covered, and they said yes.

So definetely look into them as well, I don't think it was an expensive option so I'm sure they try to sneak it in.

DepTrotter
10-18-2006, 08:08 AM
it would have been funnier if she gave Dora some chilli or a burrito

Xtrema
10-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by civicrazy2002

It's a 51'' Hitachi ultravision. Thanks for all your replies everyone! I'm going to try warranty first if that doesn't work, i guess i'll try the people i pay $25 a month to cover my personal property:rolleyes:
I'll keep y'all updated.

Al.

She just gave you an excuse to upgrade to a 50" Plasma/LCD screen. Just run with it. :D

hedge
10-18-2006, 09:50 AM
My daughter did something similar to my toshibal DLP tv, it had a sketchy bar across the bottom that looked like a bar graph. I guess I got lucky, once it dried the tv was fine.

civicrazy2002
10-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
hopefully your daughter got a good spanking

Of coarse! She always gets a slap or two on the hand for destroying something! Does she learn? Hell no!!! Lol.
I think i'm going to call her " Sarah the destroyah" !!

I think the blotch is almost completly gone as of today!! So it looks like it may fix itself!

mekeni
10-18-2006, 12:03 PM
make sure you have extended warranty on that thing.. you'll never know what will happen in the future...

l8braker
10-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Sorry to hear, but damn that is pretty cute. :)

mucat
10-18-2006, 12:10 PM
My daughter loves Dora too, but who doesn't anyway...

Just reruns after reruns of Dora, Wiggles and....

Dora, Wiggles...wait! chicken little and Dora and Wiggles...

<sigh>

1-Bar
10-18-2006, 12:46 PM

But once it dries................ will warranty know the difference???? I doubt it, let warranty deal with it. Just remember, &quot;I turned it on and it was messed up!!!!&quot;

will not hold up, they will open up the tv and find the water stains left from the evaporation of the liquid. I've seen it first hand and its hard to miss.

nadroj23
10-18-2006, 04:36 PM

But once it dries................ will warranty know the difference???? I doubt it, let warranty deal with it. Just remember, &quot;I turned it on and it was messed up!!!!&quot;

Originally posted by turbotrip

ive seen this method work on laptops, just say u turned it on and this is what showed up.

just like the post above i worked at futureshop and know that they do open products up and see if there is any salt left over. As when water evaporates leaves a white residue behind which they know if water damage.

on another note insurance will cover this my brother threw a pen at me exploded all over the roof and carpet and insurance covered it, with a deductable of course but no issue.

asuth077
10-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by nadroj23

just like the post above i worked at futureshop and know that they do open products up and see if there is any salt left over. As when water evaporates leaves a white residue behind which they know if water damage.

Could you open it up? Or find someone who can and then clean that up to hide it?

ICEBERG
10-18-2006, 05:14 PM
That's funny because my daughter did a similar thing. She tought my Rotel DVD player could drink milk. Well you know the rest. The Warranty did not cover the damages. I ended up buying a new Rotel RDV 1050. Kids..

Seanith
10-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
That's funny because my daughter did a similar thing. She tought my Rotel DVD player could drink milk. Well you know the rest. The Warranty did not cover the damages. I ended up buying a new Rotel RDV 1050. Kids..

And the body will never be found? lol

turbotrip
10-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by nadroj23

on another note insurance will cover this my brother threw a pen at me exploded all over the roof and carpet and insurance covered it, with a deductable of course but no issue.

thats funny cuz i went with my friend when he spilled water on his laptop and he took it in to futureshop and they replaced the damaged parts, and another one of my friends dropped juice on his and best buy completely replaced it.

natejj
10-18-2006, 06:49 PM
I've always wondered.... lets say you have a TV or a PC near the end of warranty.... you just cover it in magnets..... it goes dead. Bring it in... would they know? How could they detect that....

barbarian
10-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Just be glad she wasn't hurt, pouring water into an electrical device with very high voltage circuitry.

whiskas
10-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Just say a drunken hobo broke into your house and peed on your TV, you'd have to make a piss stain on the carpet as well to make your story beliveable.

coste
10-18-2006, 09:05 PM
If you have any extended warranty from say FS or BB, just call em up, tell me you got home and your TV was busted. If they say anything about water damage, just mention something about a roof leak during the first snow fall, which you got fixed, but you didn't think it got anywhere close to the TV.

BLAH BLAH BLAH, make a big fuss, and you'll get whatever you want. It's the extended warranty way!

You can always bring the 51 inch beast into the store you got it from, but you always have the chance of them telling you to 'beat it', and you gotta bring your monster tv back home. If you know anyone at the retailer you got it from, try to weasel something outta him. If he says you can return it, just make sure you do it on the same day he is working, and you have a better chance of getting a different/better tv.

And like I said, make sure you be as nice as possible, until they say no, then you can turn into a jackass.

:clap:

3G
10-18-2006, 09:39 PM
aw, reminds me of the time my friends cousin tried to feed the Ninja Turtles some pizza through thr VCR

Ajay
10-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by 3G
aw, reminds me of the time my friends cousin tried to feed the Ninja Turtles some pizza through thr VCR

Now THAT is wicked!

civicrazy2002
10-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
Just say a drunken hobo broke into your house and peed on your TV, you'd have to make a piss stain on the carpet as well to make your story beliveable. :werd: