PDA

View Full Version : purchasing a brand new car but with over 2000 kilometer

sowen
10-18-2006, 08:44 AM
I know it is really stupid, just want to know if it happened to anyone here before.

I am interested in buying a new suzuki sx4, but unfortunately, there is only 1 dealer in my city, and the worse thing is they have only 2 cars of the model I want in stock. I like one of them, which is silver, another's color is really not my preference.

The problem is, the silver one is generally used for clients to test driving, and it is having over 2254 kilometers!!!

I don't know how they can drive that much.

If I want to buy, I either take that one or wait 6-8 weeks for another brandnew one to ship here.

If you were me, what would u do? I don't really want to wait 2 months actually, but.... sigh.

heavyD
10-18-2006, 08:48 AM
What's worth more to you? To have the car now even though it's been ran hard by test pilots and by the dealer staff or to wait a couple of months and have a real brand new vehicle? Even with only 2000 KM's there should be steep depreciation on the sticker so don't pay close to the original price.

teggypimp95
10-18-2006, 08:48 AM
I would wait. "good things come to those who wait".

When you test drive a car, you bag on it. You test the power, breaks, handeling etc. And doing that on a new car before its break in period is harmful. I just just wait and get one with that new car smell :)

DepTrotter
10-18-2006, 08:54 AM
hmmm

well if it was me, and they were trying to sell me the "test model" i would only agree if they threw in extras and/or dropped the price by a considerable ammount, if not you might as well wait!... 6 weeks isnt that long, youll be driving by the end of november!!

sowen
10-18-2006, 09:12 AM
well, very good saying. thanks, folks.

I agree I should wait, or maybe I ask them if they are willing to give me 1000 deduction for that test car. Do you think 1000 is a reasonable amount?

sputnik
10-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by sowen

I agree I should wait, or maybe I ask them if they are willing to give me 1000 deduction for that test car. Do you think 1000 is a reasonable amount?

I wouldnt. The break in period of a car is pretty important for some vehicles. Personally I wouldnt want most of the break in period to be done by test pilots revving the car to redline.

The least I would go for is $2000 with an extended bumper to bumper warranty.

eb0i
10-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

I wouldnt. The break in period of a car is pretty important for some vehicles. Personally I wouldnt want most of the break in period to be done by test pilots revving the car to redline.

:werd:
or just wait for the car to be shipped in :thumbsup:

heavyD
10-18-2006, 09:29 AM

I would ask for $1 off for every KM. Unfortunately they may balk as there will be another sucker that will think $500 off sticker for over 2000 KM is a good deal. Don't be that person.:thumbsdow

whiskas
10-18-2006, 09:36 AM

Some would argue that driving it hard at the beginning of its life helps seat the piston rings. At least you can be sure there isn't much carbon buildup in the engine from driving like granny.

A790
10-18-2006, 09:42 AM

I'd take it, but make them give you the extended warranty + $2000 off or so.

sowen
10-18-2006, 09:47 AM
just for curiosity, are u guys' brand new car all start from 0 km?

cos it's just my first car, I actually not very sure :)-

gp36912
10-18-2006, 09:52 AM
roughly 5-13 kms, has been my average.

Akagi Redsuns
10-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by whiskas

Some would argue that driving it hard at the beginning of its life helps seat the piston rings. At least you can be sure there isn't much carbon buildup in the engine from driving like granny.

What about transmission, suspension, brakes, tires...etc, though? It's crazy how some salesman drive the car to show off its capabilities to you lol. Of course when the keys are given to me, I drive it hard to test what it can do. Brake check, acceleration check, how the engine is near redline, emergency lane change check....etc. I know I wouldn't want to own any of the cars I test drove, even at a discount. The whole allure of buying a new car and paying new car prices is to actually end up with a new car when it's all said and done. I would definately wait for a fresh one.

My new car that needed to be shipped down from Edmonton had 12 kms when I picked it up. A few friends had just 3-4 kms on it, so I think that's the norm with minimal driving to storage lots and such.

Xtrema
10-18-2006, 10:53 AM

Definately under 15km.

I would wait as well unless they are willing to throwing in extended warranty + a few thousands off (which I doubt if it's in short supply). If you can drag out the wait, it would be even better.

1) 1st year model, quality is usually crap on them as they find production problems along the way

2) high demand, low supply = no bargain power

Take the 06 Civic for example, they were all MSRP (sometimes more) for the 1st 6 month and by year end, they are giving cheap finance and free gas to get rid of the overstocks.

Plus the quality of new Civic is absoulte shit. I've seen missing back of backseat cover, broken off hand rail, misaligned door, leaking windows and melting anti-rust goo. And that's an Honda. So I don't know if Suzuki can avoid the 1st year issues.

heavyD
10-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Plus the quality of new Civic is absoulte shit.

Do you realize what you've done? You've just offened the religious cult of Honda fanboys.:drama:

That cannot be true as there has never been proof of a non-perfect Honda.;)

sowen
10-18-2006, 12:06 PM

Definately under 15km.

1) 1st year model, quality is usually crap on them as they find production problems along the way

2) high demand, low supply = no bargain power

that's a good point

this 2007 sx4 is a new model in north america, but it was a 2006 model in Europe, so they should have been passed that new model bug-fix stage.

i don't understand why suzuki has only 1 dealership in the whole manitoba, that really gives me no choice :(

Tik-Tok
10-18-2006, 12:13 PM

More than that! I got $1000 off my mustang because it was a test driver, but it only had 180km on it, not over 2000km! It was a high demand car at the time as well.

At this point I would treat that car like a used one, take 15% off the top right away, just as if someone drove it for a month then returned it.

I'd ask for a minimum 15%, or just wait for the new car. Actually, I would definately wait.

over 2000km on a brand new car FTL! :thumbsdow

Anton
10-18-2006, 12:15 PM
that's a good point

this 2007 sx4 is a new model in north america, but it was a 2006 model in Europe, so they should have been passed that new model bug-fix stage.

i don't understand why suzuki has only 1 dealership in the whole manitoba, that really gives me no choice :(

It wasn't in Europe for that much longer than it was here plus Europe gets different engines.

Don't worry though, Suzuki is very conservative so they used technology found in previous cars (mainly Aerio). There shouldn't be too many bugs to work out. I haven't seen any problems with them so far.

In terms of negotiating, there's not a whole lot in these vehicles so don't expect too much. From their point of view, there's only 1 dealership so if someone really wants an SX-4 they will pay close to MSRP on that demo one.

sowen
10-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Anton

It wasn't in Europe for that much longer than it was here plus Europe gets different engines.

Don't worry though, Suzuki is very conservative so they used technology found in previous cars (mainly Aerio). There shouldn't be too many bugs to work out. I haven't seen any problems with them so far.

In terms of negotiating, there's not a whole lot in these vehicles so don't expect too much. From their point of view, there's only 1 dealership so if someone really wants an SX-4 they will pay close to MSRP on that demo one.

That's a nice thing to hear. Although I am not good at negotiation, I will definitely try to do my test this time.

The sales man told me the SX4 is a combination of their previous model (Aerio + something I forgot), I like the feeling so far, just not happy with the existing odometry.

Anton
10-18-2006, 12:41 PM

That's a nice thing to hear. Although I am not good at negotiation, I will definitely try to do my test this time.

The sales man told me the SX4 is a combination of their previous model (Aerio + something I forgot), I like the feeling so far, just not happy with the existing odometry.

It replaced the Aerio fastback so it's basically the new Aerio. It's not a combination of anything. Open the hood of the Aerio and then the SX-4 and it's basically the same thing. Now, the AWD Aerio was a POS so the new i-AWD is completely redesigned. They basically reworked the Aerio and put it in a nicer body.

Once again, with negotiating, it might be better for you to go to another dealer to get a better price on a less km car.

Edit: Question, are you getting a 5 speed or an Auto and which trim are you getting? That might also help tio determine what they will be willing to discount.

sowen
10-18-2006, 12:48 PM

It replaced the Aerio fastback so it's basically the new Aerio. It's not a combination of anything. Open the hood of the Aerio and then the SX-4 and it's basically the same thing. Now, the AWD Aerio was a POS so the new i-AWD is completely redesigned. They basically reworked the Aerio and put it in a nicer body.

Once again, with negotiating, it might be better for you to go to another dealer to get a better price on a less km car.

Edit: Question, are you getting a 5 speed or an Auto and which trim are you getting? That might also help tio determine what they will be willing to discount.

Anton, I am getting an Auto JX, they said they had only 2 JX in here, and all new cars are shipped from BC.

Anton
10-18-2006, 12:52 PM

Anton, I am getting an Auto JX, they said they had only 2 JX in here, and all new cars are shipped from BC.

JX AWD or 2? I'd suggest to wait. Seems to me like they're not too keen on discounting a lot on the demo. If you're paying close to full price might as well wait to pay that for a car with less kms.

sowen
10-18-2006, 01:07 PM

JX AWD or 2? I'd suggest to wait. Seems to me like they're not too keen on discounting a lot on the demo. If you're paying close to full price might as well wait to pay that for a car with less kms.

JX AWD

you are right, I guess it might be this car is quite hot recently. I have another choice though, i.e. choose JLX, they have the color I want there. I just don't like climate control ac and not a big fan of cruise control and leather, feel like waste of money

hussein
10-18-2006, 01:17 PM
I had about 3km on my ride when I got it. 2000 :eek: Wait for the new one, that way the new car has all your stories, plus how often do you buy a new car? Make it good. :)

hussein
10-18-2006, 01:19 PM

I just don't like climate control ac and not a big fan of cruise control and leather, feel like waste of money

Those are 3 of my favourite options. :drool:

Anton
10-18-2006, 01:24 PM

JX AWD

you are right, I guess it might be this car is quite hot recently. I have another choice though, i.e. choose JLX, they have the color I want there. I just don't like climate control ac and not a big fan of cruise control and leather, feel like waste of money

To tell you the truth, they're not too hot actually.

The JLX doesn't have leather though. You're only paying 1500 more for climate control, cruise, two tone roof rails (lol), fog lights, 6cd in dash and more speakers plus a sub. You don't have to use the climate control but I think the knobs look better on that model and cruise is a nice feature to have even if you don't use it a lot.

It's up to you. The JLX seems to be a big seller and I think it's a good bang for buck.

Cruz
10-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

The whole allure of buying a new car and paying new car prices is to actually end up with a new car when it's all said and done. I would definately wait for a fresh one.

Perfectly worded.

Plus the quality of new Civic is absoulte shit.

Perfectly worded.

SilverBoost
10-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Cruz

Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

The whole allure of buying a new car and paying new car prices is to actually end up with a new car when it's all said and done. I would definately wait for a fresh one.

Perfectly worded.

yeah, it's like getting a virgin with one exception, she's been fucked before.

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-18-2006, 02:45 PM
I didn't bother reading all the replies but IMO: wait.

You want a new car, not one that's been bagged to shit by a shitload of people.

It'll be worth it.