PDA

View Full Version : Car will not be used for a long time

phathuynh27
10-18-2006, 09:45 AM
Hi everyone,

I have an 2002 Acrual EL 1.7 and I am not going to drive it for a very long time say 2 years or so. I am wondering what should I do to maintain my car within that period of time. Should I still do oil change? etc...

Any resource links will be appriciated as well.

Thanks,

gp36912
10-18-2006, 09:48 AM
um... there isn't a site i know of but, its best to start it up every week or so to keep the engine lubed etc, make sure the gas has a stabilizer in it etc. if you don't mind me asking, why won't you be driving your car?

bspot
10-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Unless you are in love with it, I'd sell it.

2 years is quite a bit of depreciation. You could sell it now, buy the a 2002 in 2 years (they won't be hard to find) and then you have a few grand in your pocket.

BigShow
10-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by bspot

2 years is quite a bit of depreciation. You could sell it now, buy the a 2002 in 2 years (they won't be hard to find) and then you have a few grand in your pocket.

:werd: sell it!

Tik-Tok
10-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by bspot

^^^ +1

But if you are in love with it...

Fill the gas tank, adding a fuel stabilizer, and then run the car for a while to make sure you've distributed the stabilizer throughout the entire fuel system. Over time, an empty gas tank will rust, and untreated gas can go bad.

Add antifreeze to the cooling system even if the car is protected from cold temperatures. The newer coolants have corrosion inhibitors that protect and lubricate the system.

Change the engine oil and oil filter. Dirty oil can damage the bearings and cause engine rust. Replace the brake fluid, making sure to use the most durable grade. Remove the battery lest it leak corroding acid.

Coat all exposed metal surfaces in the engine area with a lubricant spray, spray all easily accessable electrical contacts with corrosion prevention spray

Wash the entire car and apply a good wax. If storage space is damp or humid, place desiccant packs inside the car to keep moisture from damaging the interior. Don't forget the trunk.

Set the car up on blocks to get the tires off the ground and prevent flat spots. Drape with a cloth car cover. Heavier is not necessarily better: If the car is stored outdoors, wind can cause a heavy cover to abrade the paint.

Ekliptix
10-18-2006, 12:28 PM
overseas or dui? j/k

phathuynh27
10-19-2006, 05:16 PM
thanks everyone for replying.

Hmm, I don't want to sell my car for several reasons.

1. I bought it brand new and took very good care of it and have put quite a lot of km on it. It is not worth a lot right now.
2. I don't know when my wife will need it; we can use it as an emergency car

anyway thanks again