PDA

View Full Version : CCNA/CCNP Courses at SAIT

SI-vic
05-01-2003, 11:36 PM
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone on beyond knows anything about the CCNA/CCNP courses.
Cisco Certified Network Associate/" " Professional
Anyone taking these courses or taken them, because I'd like to know a couple of things.

I know what CCNA and CCNP is and stuff but I havent studied anything from it, I was thinking about taking it at SAIT in October (CCNA for 1 year, then the CCNP the following year).
Is it a really hard class?
like I said, I havent studied anything from the CCNA or anything so I'd be pretty much be learning from scratch.
Will it be hard for me to learn the course without much knowledge about it?
I called the SAIT customer service reps and they seemed sketchy, the lady said that if I just finished High School then I should be able to handle the course without trouble if I really work at it....
but I'm not sure if I should trust her....... so please help. haha thanks.

Davetronz
05-01-2003, 11:51 PM
It is a TOUGH course, my buddy from China is taking it when he comes back in September. He took the first half of CNT with me but wanted Cisco.
It is a much harder course, but if you know what you are doing with computers it should be ok.

SI-vic
05-01-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by TurboDSM
It is a TOUGH course, my buddy from China is taking it when he comes back in September. He took the first half of CNT with me but wanted Cisco.
It is a much harder course, but if you know what you are doing with computers it should be ok.

Hey you're taking CNT right now?
I checked the courses at SAIT and they've recently taken out CNT....
They only have CET now, is that pretty much the same thing??

Well I know that if I work at it hard enough that I'll be able to do it, but then I was wondering if its like a 10 out of 10 difficulty for someone who doesnt have much knowledge of CCNA stuff or is it like a 7-8 out of 10 difficulty?...

I wont say I'm great with computers but I'm not a dumb with it either. I took a lot of computer classes in H.S and I did real well in all of them except for programming (but thats because I didnt try because I'm not a fan of C++ and etc.)

EvilNeon
05-02-2003, 12:39 AM
I've got most of the tests and answers for the CCNA CCNP. Read those and go write the tests! I've also got them for MCSE as well. These aren't practise tests, they are the real deal. Take a look at examjam.net and testking.com if you don't know what I mean.

You won't know anything you say? Neither do a lot of the people who come out of those courses.

I made the mistake of taking a compressed course at SAIT. What a piece of crap it turned out to be. There were 20 people in my class and by the end 7 of us were taking measures to file legal action for mis-representation. SAIT bought them off by offering them more shitty courses (I never understood that).

SI-vic
05-02-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by EvilNeon
I've got most of the tests and answers for the CCNA CCNP. Read those and go write the tests! I've also got them for MCSE as well. These aren't practise tests, they are the real deal. Take a look at examjam.net and testking.com if you don't know what I mean.

You won't know anything you say? Neither do a lot of the people who come out of those courses.

I made the mistake of taking a compressed course at SAIT. What a piece of crap it turned out to be. There were 20 people in my class and by the end 7 of us were taking measures to file legal action for mis-representation. SAIT bought them off by offering them more shitty courses (I never understood that).

Sooo the courses at SAIT for the CCNA/CCNP program really sucks?
How long ago was this because I'm sure they've changed their teachers if it happened awhile ago.....
I'm really looking forward to this course but.... im still unsure about it

EvilNeon
05-02-2003, 02:39 AM
Oh I'm absolutely certain they have changed instructors. Hell, they changed instructors many times part way through my course! One of the modules I was taking (comprised 1 month of continuous time) had three different instructors. The last one was a complete chair warmer; he didn't know dick about the subject matter and was there because he was better than nothing.

He was, however, better than the guy who really knew his stuff but could only really convey it in Czech. His english was a little limited.

I took mine in the spring of 2000, by the way.

When I was assisting in hiring I passed on every candidate who came out of one of the SAIT compressed programs. If the quality of their education was anywhere near the level of what was presented to me, I am sorry to say, they likely weren't properly qualified.

Go to the U or MRC instead. I believe they offer similar programs. Or just cheat and write the exams like I mentioned before. :)

Why am I qualified and they aren't if we took the same program? Most of the folks going in to those are in similar situations to you - they are novices. I was taking a couple years off work and decided I should get some paper to back up the 12 years of industry I had. I looked at the courses available and decided to take the course that I was the most rusty in which was object oriented software design and development. They claimed that to enroll in the class you had to have industry experience and a background in at least one language. Uh huh. I am not bullshitting when I say that two people had to be told to turn the monitors on.

To their credit I think that the vendor certifications are likely a more stable program as the material and the structure is likely better defined.

Dirty_SOHC
05-02-2003, 03:18 AM
I'm not taking CCNA classes but I'm learning from scratch and my company is paying for the exams=)

Davetronz
05-02-2003, 12:00 PM
CET = CNT

SI-vic
05-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC
I'm not taking CCNA classes but I'm learning from scratch and my company is paying for the exams=)

Thanks for the tips EvilNeon and Turbo.
Dirty, do you find it really hard to be learning it from scratch?

Dirty_SOHC
05-02-2003, 04:20 PM
I'm actuall just starting to learn it, Basically I already have background in telecom so it shouldnt be to bad=)