PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between HID's & Projectors

88CRXGUY
10-20-2006, 04:20 PM
I am looking at to getting HID's or Projecter headlights, Or are they the same. Can someone find me some pics of the two, i tried to get some online and it wasn't working all too well...

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-20-2006, 08:53 PM
HID's are supposed to go into projectors in order to have the proper cutoff... Projectors are just lenses, not actual bulbs

AllGoNoShow
10-20-2006, 09:03 PM
HID's

High Intensity Discharge bulbs. You need a ballast and ignitor to run the special bulbs, they are a hell of alot brighter and suggested to be used ONLY in projetor hosuings because they are so bright.

Projectors are the lenses the light shines through. Projector creates the cutoff line at which no light *minimal light* shoudl pass, keeping all the HID below the cutoff line, spread out on the road evenly and very bright.

The 2 together = Amazing
Projectors Alone help as well
HID's in halogen housing *stock/oem housing* you may run into a lot fo yelling, flashing, if you really piss someone off, smashed up headlights.

88CRXGUY
10-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Yeah I want brighter lights but not to the point that I am blinding other drivers on low-beam...

Dayclone
10-20-2006, 10:44 PM
I have HIDS and Projector Headlight in my teg.

Works miricals cause I mostly drive at night time... since I get off
work at like 11:30 or 1AM sometimes and I need to be able to
see the road! Otherwise I might hit a pedestrian or a deer.
Other than that they work wonders and their awesome as heck.

Steve

New2Talon
10-20-2006, 11:13 PM
There is also a difference among projectors. There are halogen projectors and HID projectors. Most newer model cars have cleared lenses that looks fairly shiny/reflective inside the housing, and these are regular halogen projectors. Only a few cars have HID projectors (TSX being one of them).

Halogen reflectors are shaped differently than HID projectors. This is why lots of people retrofit HID projectors (TSX for example) into their projector housing.

HID cars (bimmer, audi etc) use 4300K bulbs. They look blue/purple sometimes because it is above the cut-off point. The higher up past the cut-off you go, the more blue/purple the light will look. If youve ever had one of these cars follow you and they go over a bump, you should notice that the color of their light will change.

Lots of people like the look of HID (the blue color) but because they dont have proper projectors they need to buy different temp bulbs to get that specific color. 6000-10000K will give you that blue light, but at the same time, will decrease the actual amount of USEABLE light that will be on the road. Even though it will be bright, it wont be efficient. Same way an LED is bright, but doesnt usually light something up very well.

FiveFreshFish
10-21-2006, 02:23 PM
D2S HID bulbs (properly known as HID capsules)
The 4 in the back are Osram, 4 up front are Philips and all are 4300 K.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/HIDbulbs2.jpg

HID projectors
From smallest to largest: BMW E46, Acura TSX, BMW E39. Both E46 and E39 projectors have flippable shields so you can choose between a Z-pattern cut-off and a flat cut-off.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/Projectors1.jpg

Blue at the cut-off of Audi S4 Euro HID headlights.
Stock projector with 4300 K bulbs without any colour enhancement modifications.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/HeadlightPatternClose.jpg

ZorroAMG
10-21-2006, 04:44 PM
first two posters are WRONG. HID's can be in reflectors. Look at the 96-02 e class mercedes....non projector hids. Same with older acuras...hid reflectors from factory.

That being said, Halogen reflectors for DOT north american cars SUCK for retrofitting HIDs....euro reflectors can be much better for throwing a cleaner pattern if you retrofit.

Bottom line, HID kits for yo civics should be put into HID projectors. Thanks.

AllGoNoShow
10-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Actually I never said you COULDN'T use HID's in your Halogen reflectors Zorro.

But you of all people will be the one bitching when someone throwes a 4300k set of HID's in and drives around ur block every time ur there blidning you.

Sugggested = Projectors
Lazy/Cheap/Doesn't even look as good = Halogen housing.

FiveFreshFish
10-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
HID's can be in reflectors. Look at the 96-02 e class mercedes....non projector hids. Same with older acuras...hid reflectors from factory.

Slightly different D2R bulb for reflector-based HID systems.

http://www.hidexpert.com/new/H7-D2R.jpg