PDA

View Full Version : Any great civil lawyers on Beyond?

SinisterProbeGt
10-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Well it was only a matter of time......

Lol no I have a civil claim against me for a night club event that went sideways.
so off to small claim court I go.

But I would like some advice from legal before I go to court.
And I know the yellow pages are good but hey this place has worked for me before so...

Thanks

sexualbanana
10-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Hookers fix all problems. Just send a couple to their door.

NGRPLZ.NET
10-21-2006, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
Well it was only a matter of time......

Lol no I have a civil claim against me for a night club event that went sideways.
so off to small claim court I go.

But I would like some advice from legal before I go to court.
And I know the yellow pages are good but hey this place has worked for me before so...

Thanks Awww.. did you and 100 of your little buddies jump some guy? I feel so bad for you.

j/k

What the hell did you do to get sued?

SinisterProbeGt
10-21-2006, 06:56 PM
I made the mistake of bringing in a business partner that was faultering on his own to go halves on a DJ.
THe deal was I do the entertainment and promo.
They arrange the facility and sound equipment and promo.
THey did no Promo.
The night floped and we made 1K at the door. and that just paid the headliner.
So we agreeded to take mutual losses and now this shows up 3 years later.....

Supa Dexta
10-22-2006, 09:20 AM
"Any great civil lawyers on Beyond?"

No, but I'm near average, so I coulld likely do it.. I think I have a chance at this one, old gil needs this bad.... ha..

jk with ya.. best of luck in getting sorted out, sometimes court is the only way to fix people......

Shaolin
10-22-2006, 10:05 PM
agreed to take mutual losses and 3 years later they decide to sue you? I think you might be protected under promissory estoppel. Don't they offer some sort of Legal service at the u of C?

SinisterProbeGt
10-23-2006, 10:08 AM
http://facstaff.gallaudet.edu/marshall.wick/bus447/promissory_estoppel.html

I will look into if they do at the U of C and find out.. Mabye save a few bucks

Toma
10-23-2006, 05:27 PM
I was under the impression that 2 years was the limit?

hjr
10-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
I made the mistake of bringing in a business partner that was faultering on his own to go halves on a DJ.
THe deal was I do the entertainment and promo.
They arrange the facility and sound equipment and promo.
THey did no Promo.
The night floped and we made 1K at the door. and that just paid the headliner.
So we agreeded to take mutual losses and now this shows up 3 years later.....
if it is indeed 3 years since the contract was in effect, or since the damage done, you should be fine. Alberta has a 2/10 policy for bringing suits. you have 2 years from when you knew or should have known about the wrong to bring a suit. the 10 is the drop dead date. after 10 years you cannont bring a suit no matter what.

the rule is like that so that there are limits, but if you dont find out about the damage till 4 years on, you have 2 years from that point to file a suit.

In your case it sounds like the damage was known about immediately, so 2 years from that point. which means you should be clear.

(i am not a lawyer - but have studied this quite recently - so take it for what its worth)

Originally posted by Shaolin
agreed to take mutual losses and 3 years later they decide to sue you? I think you might be protected under promissory estoppel. Don't they offer some sort of Legal service at the u of C?
i dont think promissory estoppel applies, based on info i see.

nonsane
10-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Toma
I was under the impression that 2 years was the limit?

I've always heard 4 years

Shaolin
10-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by hjr

i dont think promissory estoppel applies, based on info i see.

I'm not a lawyer either.. I just thought because they agreed to mutually take the loss 3 years ago then that has an effect on the legal relationship between the 2 parties.. so sinister and the 2nd party both had consideration to drop the issue and mutually agreed to take the loss.

In a sense, agreeing to mutually take the loss is a binding contract isn't it?

but yeah.. probably best to contact someone that actually does this rather than a bunch of guys on a forum who aren't lawyers :rofl: