PDA

View Full Version : Buying from an Auction?

whodiman
10-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Has anybody ever boughten from an auction? I am wondering if there are any good deals that aren't lemons if you buy a somewhat newer car. Anybody with any experience or know of anybody?

Also, if I buy one from there I get an allotted amount of time to bring a mechanic and inspect it with whatever equipment he has got. Can anyone recommend anyone who will do this if I call him and pay him $100 or something?

EnRich
10-23-2006, 10:10 AM
I've purchased a couple cars from auctions. The older cars there will ALL BE LEMONS!!! Their there for a reason, trust me.... I bought a 91 Accord that was just a POS! I almost kicked the guys ass that sold it to me... Made him take it back and refund my money.... I also purchased a 99 Camaro, the top of the line one (WR6 or something?), it was a bank repo, with only 11k on it. Basically stole it from em, made 3 grand on it a couple months later. Fun car, not fun on gas, t-tops rule.

If your going to buy a car from the auction, your gonna get a smoking deal, just go there with 10gs in your pocket. I purchased that Camaro for 18, and the accord was 2800. I managed to return it cause the speedo didnt work, which is illigal to sell in Canada. I had to fight with em for over an hour to get that money back, so be careful man. Once they separate you from your money, they'll do anything to keep it....

Rich

tapout
10-23-2006, 12:48 PM
stay away & go buy private

03ozwhip
10-23-2006, 12:59 PM
all the old ones are lemons, aside from very few. my G/F is driving a repo'd Mazda 3, it was dirty and had some scrapes on it, but got a really good price on it. also, she bought a repo'd 99 alero there in 99 with 6000km on it, and she still has it, never any real problems. shes selling that to pay for the 3 though. so if you can find a good repo'd car, its worth it.

topmade
10-23-2006, 01:00 PM
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Like stated the old ones are crap, the newer repo ones are ok, but I've seem some of them get pretty good money for them. So with that in mind, might as well buy private where you can do a decent test drive instead of going around a small circle and then get it inspected.

whodiman
10-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
all the old ones are lemons, aside from very few. my G/F is driving a repo'd Mazda 3, it was dirty and had some scrapes on it, but got a really good price on it. also, she bought a repo'd 99 alero there in 99 with 6000km on it, and she still has it, never any real problems. shes selling that to pay for the 3 though. so if you can find a good repo'd car, its worth it.

What year did she buy the 99 Alero?

How old does everyone mean when they say older? 5 years or more? 8 years?

03ozwhip
10-23-2006, 03:43 PM
She bought her Alero in 99, and back then they were expensive as hell, and she got a really good price on it. really look in and out on every car, but mainly repo's are good because they just couldnt afford them and they get taken. just dont buy a blazer from there and youll be ok. if youre looking to get a good deal, look hard and look at the market. also, do you want a 99 Alero, i know someone thats selling one ;)

thesmackdown
10-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Depends on the auction, you can get good vehicles at the auctions, however you'll pay half decent prices. The lots that sell cars privately FYI buy most of their cars from the larger auctions as this is how they make profit. We paid $6800 for a 2002 toyota echo with 101km on it. The car would sell easy for over $9000 in the trader. YOU must know what you are looking at and look for crap. If you buy the newer cars that are upwards of 5 years old though you can do extremely well.

Thaco
10-23-2006, 07:28 PM
the magic number with auctions is $4000

If you buy a car under $4000 it is 100% AS-IS

Over $4000 and there is some warrenty/cash back gaurantee period

Eride
10-23-2006, 07:35 PM
There was an 04 sti that went this past week at Mitchner and Allen for like 23k, smoking deal if everything works out, thats a pretty big IF though.

whodiman
10-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
She bought her Alero in 99, and back then they were expensive as hell, and she got a really good price on it. really look in and out on every car, but mainly repo's are good because they just couldnt afford them and they get taken. just dont buy a blazer from there and youll be ok. if youre looking to get a good deal, look hard and look at the market. also, do you want a 99 Alero, i know someone thats selling one ;)

PM me the details...i am currently looking. I have some possibilities but never hurts to see what else I might be able to get a deal on.

bituerbo
10-23-2006, 11:31 PM
What are the auctions in Calgary?
I only know of Regal Auctions and Impact Auctions, however Impact seems to only deal with cars not worth selling (all have salvage/non-repairable titles and serious damage)

Thaco
10-24-2006, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo
What are the auctions in Calgary?
I only know of Regal Auctions and Impact Auctions, however Impact seems to only deal with cars not worth selling (all have salvage/non-repairable titles and serious damage) That's because impact and calgary salvage are all insurance claim cars.

The only 3 worth mentioning are regal, Graham, and adesa which isnt technically in calgary, but close enough.

Aleks
10-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Anyone have any experience with private/dealer auctions? 2002+ cars some with complete inspections etc.

thesmackdown
10-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Well michener allen does for the record sell some good cars, however they also sell some absolute crap. When you go to these auctions seriously take a close look at the car you are interested in. You are able to start them up and everything and take a closer inspection under the hood to see if it was in an accident and at that point is quite easy to tell if there are going to be major problems with the car. of course it is impossible to tell if the transmission, clutch and things like this will be any good.

We have bought and sold several cars there for upwards of 4000 to 5000 less than we sold them for. all of which passed full inspections afterwards and were absolutely mint. Just have to cautious is all.

msommers
11-04-2006, 03:56 AM
I've been considering doing this as well as a cheaper alternative to getting a pathfinder or a 4runner. All of the SUV's seem to be "newer" 98+ but are all high mileage, most are just below or higher than 200,000! I'm going to go on a limb here and say that these were all work vehicles and is mostly highway km's which is probably better but still really high! Anyone know pathfinders inside and out that would be willing to take a look? They seem to go for a decent price if it's worth buying.

Supa Dexta
11-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Anyone have any experience with private/dealer auctions? 2002+ cars some with complete inspections etc.

Don't let the whole "complete" inspection, or 259.476 point inspection, or anything make you feel better.. You really should get your own done, by someone you know, or hear good things about...