PDA

View Full Version : 2003 deville or 1997 S/E 420 mercedes?

Demari
10-20-2006, 09:41 PM
i'm a student so i only have around 15 or 16 thousand canadian to spend and i don't know alot about cars at all, and my best choices seem to be a 2003ish deville or a 1997ish E or S class 420, maybe S 500..
do you guys think its better to get a newer car such as the deville or would the older mercedes be better?
thanks alot

infected
10-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Be prepared to pay the repair bills if you go with the S500, it wont be cheap.

pepschnops
10-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Don't in any way want to change the direction your going but it kinda sounds like you want to get a sedan. And either domestic or European. The old body style mercedes run like a champion until you get a problem and then repairs tend to be very expensive. However I haven't heard of a high number of problems with the old body s-classes. If you want a cheaper luxury car to get just look into a Lincoln LS. Much more economical than both these cars and like both the mercedes and the deville rides very smooth. These were good cars that never sold well. Whats the point in spending all your money on a car when you don't have to. Just a personal opinion. best of luck

NGRPLZ.NET
10-21-2006, 01:36 AM
I like those old mobster benzez. I would go with one of those over the cadillac. Apparently those are the best engineered cars to this day?

dieselpower91
10-21-2006, 02:01 AM
I would pick up a Deville DTS or DHS. But I am partial to GM's. The Northstar is a pretty good motor. Relatively cheap to fix. Very nice features for the money. I have been debating selling my GTP and picking up a newer DTS.

Demari
10-21-2006, 07:10 AM
are the E class mercedes better than the S? people tell me the S is better... but the 97'ish E classes look alot newer than the S classes, especially with the haedlights

also.. does anyone know about jaguars? i saw a few 2000ish s-types and a XJ8.. are they reliable cars?

ZorroAMG
10-21-2006, 07:11 PM
W140 S class was plagued with problems....that being said, the W210 e-class you are talking about wasn't a stellar quality-controlled machine either.....

They are older MB's. They will break down, just like all older german cars and just like all older german cars, they will cost money. Lots of it. At least it's better than driving a car your grandfather would drive. MB>Caddy any day of the week, especially Mon-Sun.

Nothing drives or looks like a German car, you just need the bank roll to fix it. :D

Rarasaurus
10-22-2006, 04:49 PM
It seems you are interested in luxury style cars. Like others have posted going with a domestic is going to be cheaper to maintain which since you are a student u might be considering. However i also agree that german cars are better than the cady. It all depends on if you are willing to work and spend money on your car. I would also suggest the bmw 528. With 16 g u can get a 98ish.

RobTheGob
10-22-2006, 05:37 PM
I was looking at this thread thinking "I don't recall replying to this", only to realize that "pepschnops" avatar is almost the same as mine...

In all the places that I've used that avatar, I've *never* seen anybody else use it...

On-topic:

I'd be careful buying any (especially high-end) Mercedes-Benz on a tight budget. I love the W140's, but I worry about the running costs...

AllGoNoShow
10-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Can you afford maintence? MB
Can't? Civic and save for MB