PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Review? Grizzly House.

Ben
05-02-2003, 03:09 PM
Okay, so I made a reservation for tomorrow night. Party of 2.

I've never been there before nor have I heard much about it. She says this place rocks and has excellent food and the atmosphere is very much different from most places, but I would prefer to get more than one female opinion.

So? Who has some input for me?

Should I be looking forward to the drive to Banff? Or is it going to suck?

B17a
05-02-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Okay, so I made a reservation for tomorrow night. Party of 2.

I've never been there before nor have I heard much about it. She says this place rocks and has excellent food and the atmosphere is very much different from most places, but I would prefer to get more than one female opinion.

So? Who has some input for me?

Should I be looking forward to the drive to Banff? Or is it going to suck?

Ben, you will not be disappointed (except for the $$) but it's worth it! Where else can you try ostrich amd alligator in the same meal? :thumbsup: Very cool place.

E36M3
05-02-2003, 03:16 PM
The place is fantastic.. 2000 degree marble rocks :)

Make sure you are adventurous, and you will have a great time.

The best part is the telephones at the tables.. you can call anyone in the restaurant, even in the bathroom.. it is quite amusing.

Mr.Buffy
05-02-2003, 03:36 PM
When having the Fondu, make sure you go with the hot rock for the main course. You have the option with either the regular fondu or with a hot rock. With the hot rock, they give you garlic butter and then you just cook your food on the hot rock. The rock cools off in about ten minutes or so and then they'll bring out a new one for you. Go with the hot rock! Aw man, I'm hungry now. Ooh and then there's desert. They use Tolberone (spelling) for the chocolate and fresh fruit. You end up stinking like a grease trap, but it's worth it.

MerfBall
05-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Yeap definitely $$$... But awesome atmosphere, the food is awesome try the exotic platter. Well worth purely for the experience. But you may not leave there full, so take advantage of the bread and cheese dip :D

TalonVelocity
05-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Mmmm me and my friend went there while in Banff on a field trip, lol, put it on his dad's cc, cost 170$!! ROFL!!

4wheeldrift
05-02-2003, 08:53 PM
Where is this place, it sounds like an interesting experience?

TalonVelocity
05-03-2003, 12:06 AM
Main Street Banff

very little, but hard to miss, huge wooden hand crafted entrance with a grizzly bear (wooden sculpture) its so cool

sml
05-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Ben, all I have to say is that every since I know of that place, I've been to Banff maybe 6 times last year and 4 times I went to Grizzly House for dinner (the other 2 times I didn't eat in Banff, but I did wanted to eat, I would have booked the Grizzly House again!)...

Here's my recommedations:
- Get a reservation no later than 10am the day of or else prepare to get bookings like 4pm or 10pm...
- Get the fondue dinner package.
- Get the CHEAPEST fondue dinner (Trust me, the $34 ostrich/beef - the best IMO taste the SAME as the $50 rattlesnake/buffalo/venison plus you don't get more you just get more expensive meat...)
- Get the veggie fondue as starter unless you don't like veggies, much better than bread dipped in cheese fondue IMO. (too rich for me)
- Get the HOT ROCK!!! It's the shiets!!! It's the ONLY way to go!
- Put all your meat on the first hot rock, then when done cooking, ask for a second hot rock and cook the rest of your meat on that. Maximum enjoyment + maximum garlic butter! Mmmm...
- Dip every single sauce that you see on your plate minus the terriyaki/sweet & sour crap.
- Chocolate foundue is to die for... save the banana and strawberries last!
- When the pay comes, be prepared to bend over! haha! Enjoy your dinner! I think it's the most unique place for food in Banff or even Calgary!

Ben
05-03-2003, 01:00 PM
GAH!

hahahahahaha

ah damn, I just cant seem to retain any money!

Oh well!

bksze
05-03-2003, 01:53 PM
you might also want to look into bringing in a change of clothing, or getting a place where you can go shower after . . . there is a film of grease all over that restaurant and assuming you do go with the hot rock, you'll be smelling like it for the rest of the night, not a good thing if you want to get close to your sig other haha

it's a neat experience but for the $$ you spend, the atmosphere and ambience of some of calgary's better restaurants will more than make up for uniqueness of the food

Ben
05-03-2003, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the concern. I'll take heed of your forewarning.

Ben
05-03-2003, 05:58 PM
Well. I'm out, I'll let everyone know what I think.

Illusionsir
05-03-2003, 07:14 PM
i know bens gone already but i figured i would throw in my .02
place is extremely dirty, it has failed safety inspections on more than one occation and is a very good place to purchise cocaine. (im not joking)

and in case your wondering its because my girlfriend lives in banff and im their every weekend and move out there in the summer. (what do you know, im in banff right now!)

5.9 R/T
05-03-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Illusionsir
i know bens gone already but i figured i would throw in my .02
place is extremely dirty, it has failed safety inspections on more than one occation and is a very good place to purchise cocaine. (im not joking)

and in case your wondering its because my girlfriend lives in banff and im their every weekend and move out there in the summer. (what do you know, im in banff right now!)

lol, what do you know? You couldn't even afford to walk through the front doors! :rofl:

GTS Jeff
05-04-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by sml

Hahaha!!! You gotta spend the dough to get the girl (in the sack)! :rofl: only you :rofl: :rofl:

James
05-04-2003, 06:56 AM
This place Sounds cool, havnt had fondue since i was like 10.....all i need now is 2 things, a bunch of $$$ burning a whole in my pocket, and a Girlfriend that is worth blowing it on! :tongue:...it seems like i always have one or the other, need a better job!

Ben
05-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Welp, I'm home now!

and I have to say thats quite the unique establishment.

Atmosphere? Definatly different, they have a disco ball right beside a mounted deer head, haha.

I tried out the phone system :D people react so funny when they get a call from someone they dont know asking how their food is/was.

And how was the food? Outstanting. We did the complete fondue with all the little add ons. Got the chicken and beef array. We did the half and half, we got one hot rock and the hot oil. mmmmm garlic butter. :D And yes, the chocolate fondue was s good, we saved the strawberries and bananas for last, and prepared them for each other.

All and all, excellent night.

Bill was what I expected, with tip and a moderate 1/2 L of American Cabernet Savignon it was 135.00 but its on of those things that you pay more for for the experience.

Would I go back, oh hell yeah.

outsider
05-04-2003, 02:02 PM
so angela loved it then? haha

Ben
05-04-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by outsider
so angela loved it then? haha

Yeah, it was alot of fun, got to talk alot and all that good stuff, something we had been planning for a while but scheduals never lined up.

:)

Ben
05-04-2003, 02:46 PM
a day or 2 before is good

GTS Jeff
05-04-2003, 03:06 PM
what did u smell like afterwards?

eb0i
11-14-2005, 03:41 PM
I know I'm bringing up a really old thread here, but I took my gf to this place for her birthday in October and it was awesome!

I called a week in advance and booked the private dining room for two of us. What a good idea this was. You get a completely sectioned off room and a flag that you hoist up if you want service and you leave the flag down if you don't want to be bothered. They knock before they come in to serve you (when you raise the flag) and the best thing is it doesn't cost extra!

We started with the bread and cheese fondue (:barf: too strong for my tastes). Then we ordered the beef and lobster and it was very good, and we finished it off with the fruit and chocolate fondue (which is to DIE for, hah!). All the dipping sauces they gave us for the beef/lobster was :thumbsup: We chose to cook our food on a hot rock instead of the oil fondue and it was a very good and yummy choice.

Check the site http://www.banffgrizzlyhouse.com/

I definitely go back there again!