PDA

View Full Version : best car/ truck for long drives

ole dsm
10-21-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm thinking about getting a new car or truck.

I'm a contractor in the patch, and every month i will be driveing about 3,000km's(Vancouver island to Edmonton). so i'm looking for something reliable and could be driven year round and gets decent gas milage., but most importantly it must be comfy.

as well the 3,000km's will be 99% on highway pavement.

was thinking :

dodge cummins crew cab

ford f350 power stroke crew cab

chevy duramax crew cab

or the honda ridgeline ( best creature comforts)

any opinions or idea's

Thanks

FiveFreshFish
10-21-2006, 03:15 PM
- Get a car or small SUV if you don't need to haul equipment. However, a truck is important if you need to present a certain image to your client.

- Diesel for best fuel economy.

- Stereo should be capable of iPod input and/or satellite radio.

- Navigation system if you aren't good with maps and have to travel to new locations frequently.

mo_money2supe
10-21-2006, 04:03 PM
I personally have never ridden in a Ridgeline, but I'd say out of the big 3 trucks, Dodge Ram's usually have the softest suspension, so if you're looking for the comfy ride, go with them. I personally prefer Chevy's though 'cause their taught (sp?) ride makes the truck feel like it's more in control over bumps, as long as your spleen can handle it.

Oh, and btw, as much of a Honda fan that I am, showing up on the patch with a Ridgeline would probably get a few chuckles from the guys. :(

Mitsu3000gt
10-21-2006, 05:59 PM
If you don't have to buy a truck, pick up a 2002ish (that body style) BMW 7 series or Audi A8. They are build for comfort and designed to cruise at 220km/h all day long down the autobahn so the highway driving is no problem whatsoever. Or a BMW 540i, 1997-2003 model year would do the trick just fantastically also. Indestructable drive trains/motors. On a 3000 mile drive, I believe it would be impossible to get a more comfortable ride than these cars without buying a maybach.

If you need a truck, I would go with the ridgeline for reliability, and it is built way better than the american trucks. I would also think the V6 it has would be nice for fuel economy. Or a Toyota tundra or Nissan Titan. I find it funny that the first year the Japs made a truck, I think it was the titan or tundra I forget, it beat all the americans in every comparison test I read and they've been making trucks since the Model T or eariler haha. The last few comparisons I read with the ridgeline in it, the ridgeline won every time also. I am not a truck person, so all of my informaton as well as my opinions are formed solely on what I read and not experience. I wouldn't even look at american trucks if I were you but if you want a diesel you have to go american.

Kirbs17
10-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Diesel engines are built like tanks, to take a beating, and can put on mad mileage. I prefer the Ford Super duty.

hizzity
10-21-2006, 10:14 PM
I think that for all highway driving a truck would be overkill. I would go with an all wheel drive car. like a subaru legacy gt, or mybe a midsize suv,pathfinder,pilot etc

dino_martini
10-21-2006, 10:26 PM
If you have to get a truck. I would recommend the Sierra/Silverado with the Duramax Diesel.

barbarian
10-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by hizzity
I think that for all highway driving a truck would be overkill. I would go with an all wheel drive car. like a subaru legacy gt, or mybe a midsize suv,pathfinder,pilot etc
Definitely keep away from the Legacy if you're going up to the rigs.

barbarian
10-21-2006, 10:35 PM
If you need a truck, I would go with the ridgeline for reliability, and it is built way better than the american trucks.

...[/B]
The Ridgeline isn't even two years old, how can you say it is going to be more reliable than the american trucks already? I'd like to see a comparison after 3-5 years, which is probably how long these trucks get driven for in the patch before being sold off.

Weapon_R
10-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Ford F-350 Superduty. Awesome work trucks.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Ford F-350 Superduty. Awesome work trucks.

Agreed, the people I know who have them, love them. They use the shit out of them and they just keep doing their job. Most of the rig guys seem to have the Power Strokes.

Note: The Ridgeline isn't really intended to be a heavy-duty work truck. I mean, the Ridgeline with tow package only pulls 5000lbs, while the base F350SD pulls a whopping 17,000 lbs. That's quite a difference, if you need it. Even the F150 pulls 7700lbs.

Lexxan
10-21-2006, 11:23 PM
if you get a chevy wait for the new silverados.. or just get an avalanche/tahoe/denali now all the GMT 900 platform which blows away dodge and ford.

hussein
10-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Whaaaaaaat! Get a G WAGON! :bigpimp:

Lo)2enz0
10-22-2006, 01:01 AM
i would buy a ridgeline any day. plan on getting on in the near future

gp36912
10-22-2006, 01:21 AM
if your just looking for a cruiser to go from edmonton to the patch the i would think bmw 5 series, or E class merc. or as the one guy mentioned a A8 the 5 series would problably be your best bet for economy, but the E class(depending on what engine you get) and the A8 wouldn't be too far behind.

Mitsu3000gt
10-22-2006, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by barbarian

The Ridgeline isn't even two years old, how can you say it is going to be more reliable than the american trucks already? I'd like to see a comparison after 3-5 years, which is probably how long these trucks get driven for in the patch before being sold off.

I would say it's safe to assume that anything Honda makes will be right up there for reliability and resale. He said Car/Truck so I still think he should get a car built for cruising unless at some points he needs to go off road. A

Also, everyone knows that american vehicles cost the least to build, are a collection of parts from the lowest bidding suppliers, and have interiors full of plastic and very low quality materials/pieces. Why do you think they depreciate so fast? This doesn't always necessarily mean that every single one is less reliable, but generally speaking a collection of cheap parts VS quality ones will have a higher chance of failure. Just one example I noticed, if you take a drive past National Transmission and Mister Transmission (I drive by both places twice a day since May), every single car I've ever seen on their lot, and there are lots of them, are american and most of them trucks/suv's. I have not seen a single import of any kind in nearly 6 months. I doubt they only deal in american trucks/suv's. Alot of them are not old at all.

I will agree that those american diesel engines last forever, but that is just one piece of the package.

If I were going to have to be in a vehicle for 3000 miles at a time, I sure would like to be in one that has a nice interior. He mentioned comfort being a priority. Excellent, firm seats with plenty of adjustment I would think would be at the top of his list. None of those are normally found in trucks, and trucks do not ride nicely at all. I can see this possibly turning into an american car debate again (because of something I said, as per usual haha) so we should leave it at that.

Something like an F350 diesel supercab is crazy overkill if all its going to do is carry one person on the highway. That thing has like a 16,000lb towing capacity and such. Also diesels are loud and they stink, so I don't know if that is an issue or not, that would be subjective.

If you were adament about getting something American, I would suggest a Chrysler 300C. Good power, cylinder deactivation, and underneath it's an old Mercedes E-class. It is likely built the best of the american cars IMO.

As always I will add that the above is strictly my opinion, but one that is reinforced in some way or another with every article i've ever read in my life about cars.

msommers
10-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Two things you have to think about, which is why the patch is dominated by trucks:

1) Possibly carrying equipment/material/towing

2) Winter roads, melting winter roads, offroad sites, places that are going to get lots of snow usually and the grater coming out maybe once a day.

I'd say go with a diesel first of all, it will give you the best fuel economy and is slightly cheaper than gas. Our company used the Chevy 2500HD 4x4 and are built like shit, so don't buy them! Funny enough, lots of welder's trucks are old fords! Lot of Ram's I've seen as well, maybe they know something I don't.

NickGT
10-22-2006, 11:40 AM
I like the Duramax or the Powerstroke. Not much of a dodge fan, strictly on styling - but thats just a personal opinion really.

I'd stay away from little trucks like the ridgeline. You will very quickly find its limitations out in the field the moment it needs to do the job of a real truck. That is - payload and towing capacity.

I know you said most of the time you'll be on pavement, but even if it only happens once.

Imagine your clients get stuck in the middle of butt fuck nowhere. And all you can do is watch because your little honda sits there looking pretty but is completely useless. That kinda thing happens every day to someone, somewhere out in the field.

In the field you never want your truck to come up short when there's money to be made. Your future business could depend on it. It just makes sense to get yourself a real truck.

ole dsm
10-24-2006, 03:46 PM
sorry there guys i forgot to mention what i do.

I'm a chef at a private camp$$$$$$

I live on vancouver island and I normally fly to edmonton where the company plane picks me up. but i'm thinking about driveing, cause they will pay me $0.50 a km to drive to and from work as soon as i walk out my front door.

the trip is 1400km's one way(give or take 50km's), do the math

I could really "make money driveing to work".

I'm looking for a truck mainly because of the utility of the truck box and the 4x4 capability.

I was thinking the ridgeline for its road manners and overall comfort.

The vehicle will never see a rig, maybe once, and will be parked in a private secured parking lot during work .

AllGoNoShow
10-24-2006, 04:01 PM
I personally would go with a new Chevy or even used Chevy duramax Diesel.

Been in Dodge Ford and Chevys and chevys gave the best repsonse, most control it felt like, also make the most power. Comfy and have all the options you need for the most part for a truck.

ole dsm, just so you don't forget....

Driving there may be 1400ish km's, $700 in your mind.
- Don't forget the ferry ride over to mainland for you and your truck
- Don't forget traffic can be fucked up in the mountains and roads will all your construction over there, slowing things down, burning unused gas idleing
- Don't forget food stops

Someone is probably going to tell you, is it worth taking the extra day and a half off another job to drive to one job, or can you make more money flying stil and working at another job?

ole dsm
10-24-2006, 05:36 PM
its all good

ferry , gas and food / lodgeing.

all paid for.

i don't have another job.

as it is with flying it will take me two days to get there. cause the flights don't all line up(i end up spending the night either in calgary or edmonton).

mike

MrPid
10-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by ole dsm
..., but most importantly it must be comfy.

as well the 3,000km's will be 99% on highway pavement.

Buy an Explorer Van (http://explorervan.com) - probably cheaper than most of those trucks you mentioned, you can have snoozes any time you want, watch a vid, and keep cocktails and fingerfoods in the back refrigerated. Rent a truck and bash it in the bush when you need it for that 1%. (Much cheaper all ways around)

You can even have company if you get the tinted windows option and little curtains (pedophiles may ignore this).:poosie:

MrPid
10-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by ole dsm
sorry there guys i forgot to mention what i do.

I'm a chef at a private camp$$$$$$.

That would have helped...:rolleyes:

Well, go with the van anyways - when the boom ends you can turn it into a fry wagon! :thumbsup:

sxtasy
10-24-2006, 07:46 PM
GM Duramax Diesel! Good fuel economy (roughly 700-800 km per tank) most power out of the big 3 (over 700 ft/lbs torque) coupled with an Allison 6 spd auto it kicks ass! And most comfortable and luxurious.

bigboom
10-24-2006, 08:23 PM
for what you are saying you will use it for i dont think you can go wrong with a ridgeline. i test drove a ridgeline and almost bought one before i realized what i needed a vehicle for and thats mainly to go snowboarding and mtn biking, if i didnt get a good deal on my wrx id be drivig a ridgeline right now. it handles like a car and is a very nice ride, check one out i guarantee you wont be dissapointed. the only thing you may not like is the fact that its only part time awd...

Mitsu3000gt
10-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
GM Duramax Diesel! Good fuel economy (roughly 700-800 km per tank) most power out of the big 3 (over 700 ft/lbs torque) coupled with an Allison 6 spd auto it kicks ass! And most comfortable and luxurious.

How big is that gas tank though? km/tank doesn't mean anything without the capacity.

Also their turbo diesel has 650 lb/ft, which motor has 700+ lb/ft?

Redlyne_mr2
10-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Many rigs wont let you onto their site in something like a Ridgeline or any other fake truck for that matter. They dont want the risk of the truck breaking and having to have it towed off the site.

MrPid
10-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Many rigs wont let you onto their site in something like a Ridgeline or any other fake truck for that matter. They dont want the risk of the truck breaking and having to have it towed off the site.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Supa Dexta
10-24-2006, 09:17 PM
I don't understand why they don't market and price diesels better.. To upgrade to a diesel platform, and keep your power options and all that is like a 10k upgrade, its going to take A LOT of kms to make up 10k worth of saving a few cents buying diesel, now thats its priced right with gasoline... So for towing yes, worth it.. but just to save on gas.. I dont' know anymore...

And while we're at it.. Its hard as hell to find a regular cab truck anymore.. ha.. My fathers shopping now, and for whatever reason he doesn't want an ext cab, but he wants his 4x4 and power options, ac, etc.. But most all trucks that are single cab, are bare bones trucks.. I told him to start shopping in the states, see if he can find anything, he wants a tow package and maybe the plow option as well.. Hes got a 28 foot trailer to haul around, so he wouldn't mind diesel, but thats what we're seeing now, if your buying new it's hella expenive to get up into diesel territory, at that point you have to start decking the truck out with other options to get the few that you want....

pyro
10-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
HAHA :rofl:
also if u pull up in some sports car/ ridgeline ur not goin to be takin seriously...stick with a chev or dodge:thumbsup:

BlackArcher101
10-24-2006, 09:42 PM
A chef? Sounds to me like a full-size would be overkill for you. Just get a nice jeep or s10 zr2.

hjr
10-24-2006, 10:16 PM
a chef that is not on the rig in no way needs a truck at all. something 4wd/awd would be good though. a ridgeline is a decent choice if you are truck centric, though there are some nice suv's around (not a rav4 mind you).

ole dsm
10-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by hjr
a chef that is not on the rig in no way needs a truck at all. something 4wd/awd would be good though. a ridgeline is a decent choice if you are truck centric, though there are some nice suv's around (not a rav4 mind you).

I get other Biatches to haul anything and everything I want, even my groceries or my lugage! hahahaha.

what about the tacoma 4x4 crew cab?

any opinions or comparisons w/ the ridgeline?

forkdork
10-25-2006, 03:09 PM
If you don't really need a truck why not buy a TDI wagon?

1400km = 60 bucks (Driving at like 20 over the limit). Hell for 80 bucks you could do the whole trip at 150 kph (if that was possible
;) )

Mr_ET
10-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by forkdork
If you don't really need a truck why not buy a TDI wagon?

1400km = 60 bucks (Driving at like 20 over the limit). Hell for 80 bucks you could do the whole trip at 150 kph (if that was possible
;) )

I would not recommend a VW. The TDI motor is very good but they have a lot of electrical issues.

If you want decent mileage, a comfortable ride, awd and some room for luggage why not a 325Xi touring.

That should not be too much more than the big trucks you are talking about and will give you a much better sound system, good reliability and tons of comfort.

3g4me
10-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Last year we drove to santa cruz california from calgary in a new dakota V8 and i gotta say it was pretty comfy, has good power, but it eats up gas like a mofo. Good luck.

gp36912
10-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I don't understand why they don't market and price diesels better.. To upgrade to a diesel platform, and keep your power options and all that is like a 10k upgrade, its going to take A LOT of kms to make up 10k worth of saving a few cents buying diesel, now thats its priced right with gasoline... So for towing yes, worth it.. but just to save on gas.. I dont' know anymore...

k first lets clear something yup, yes diesel is the same price as gas almost, but the difference is the economy you get out of a diesel is much better then out of a car. a car that runs on 60l of gas is gonna run out much quicker then a car that runs on 60l of diesel. how else can a tdi go 1200kms on one tank vs the normal engine needs to fill up at least once.

msommers
10-25-2006, 11:19 PM
I think he's trying to get the point across that the brand new price of a diesel vehicle is more expensive initally. So to recovered the added expense of going diesel, there is going to have to be a lot of diesel burned in order to finally get in the plus side of things. I don't think he's denying the overall cost/reliability benifit of diesel vehicles.

forkdork
10-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Also remember that the Diesel will ALWAYS have a better resale value than comparable gasoline models.

drox
10-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Fully loaded tacomas are nice.

Out of your choices Id go with the duramax.

bspot
10-26-2006, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

If you take a drive past National Transmission and Mister Transmission (I drive by both places twice a day since May), every single car I've ever seen on their lot, and there are lots of them, are american and most of them trucks/suv's. I have not seen a single import of any kind in nearly 6 months.

Yes because I know lots of BMW owners that will take their car to Mister Transmission :rolleyes:

Also, how many import trucks/SUV's were there 5 years ago? If they are at these places they are obviously out of warranty, so I'm really not surprised your seeing all American trucks there.

Plus the fact domestic trucks are cheaper, and people with money are always afraid to not take their car to the dealership. Like my friend who paid over $100 to have BMW put his winter wheels on :banghead:

billy36
12-16-2006, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
A chef? Sounds to me like a full-size would be overkill for you. Just get a nice jeep or s10 zr2.

I second that. I know that cherokies eat a lot of gas, but still, probably would be more economic that the diesel duramax or cummins? any body can advise.

Very interesting topic. Hope its not to late to bring it back to life.