PDA

View Full Version : HELP! am I getting ripped off?

nonlinear
10-21-2006, 06:14 PM
OK, almost 2 weeks ago now, my car started to stall when I was driving it, and I would wait for like 2 minutes and it would start up again. I managed to drive it to the neighborhood mechanics shop, and he told me that it was most likely a fuel pump. It took him 11 days to replace it. the delay pissed me off, but i was happy just to have it fixed.

So today he calls me to tell me my car is done. I go to pick it up and he only charged me $329 which I thought was a fair price for a fuel pump. However, when i went out to start the car, it wouldn't start unless I floored the gas pedal, and then it was running all super mega fucked up like the timing (?) was all off and shit. If I took my foot off of the gas, the car would kill.

Well, needless to say, I was fucking pissed. It ran smooth as a top when I drove it to the shop (besides the stalling problem). So I went inside, and the guy comes out and agress with me, 'yea, it's not working." Then he proceeds to tell me that it's the "mainbrain" (I guess he meant computer) and that he would get a USED computer and install it for me, and that it would cost about $100. He said that the "mainbrain" probablly was sending no voltage to my fuel pump, which caused the pump to go out.

Now, I have several issues:
1) is it possible that the computer could wreck the pump like that? And if so, why was my car running so smooth when I first brought it in to him?
2) I don't put used parts in my car.
3) what if it was the computer the whole time, and the $329 fuel pump wasn't even broken? Now i'm stuck paying for the whole thing?
4) what if he puts in a god dammned used computer and it's still not fixed?

What do you guys think I should do here? Do these problems make sense the way the guy is explaining it to me?

Weapon_R
10-21-2006, 06:18 PM
The joys of shady mechanics. 1 single problem becomes 20 as he tries to diagnose the broken parts without having the proper tools to do so.

Find a new mechanic. I thought it was weird the first day when he said it was a fuel pump...

Mitsu3000gt
10-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Go to a new mechanic ASAP that guy sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about. He can't just keep charging you as he uses the trial and error method of fixing your car and taking 20 times longer than it should.

msommers
10-22-2006, 11:18 AM
He probably screwed something up with the fuel pump for starters. I've never heard of an ECU frying a fuel pump. The guy shouldn't be charging you for trial and error method, obviously he doesn't know what is going on so he has to resort to this. Maybe he put in a used fuel pump :nut:

Have you tried changing small things like your fuel filter? Might be something with your throttlebody but hard to tell.

A new ECU would be really really hard to find for a Cutlass and second really expensive.

barbarian
10-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Check the fuel pump relay.

nonlinear
10-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by msommers
He probably screwed something up with the fuel pump for starters. I've never heard of an ECU frying a fuel pump. The guy shouldn't be charging you for trial and error method, obviously he doesn't know what is going on so he has to resort to this. Maybe he put in a used fuel pump :nut:

Have you tried changing small things like your fuel filter? Might be something with your throttlebody but hard to tell.

A new ECU would be really really hard to find for a Cutlass and second really expensive.

yea, i thought of the fuel filter but assumed he would check that first...

nonlinear
10-22-2006, 12:11 PM
OK, so do you guys think I should call him and tell him not to do any work on it? and then have to pay to have it towed somewhere else? Or should I let him replace the computer.

I just don't want to have to find another shop (wouldn't know where to begin) and then have to pay to get it towed there.

There is another shop right across the corner from him (OK tire on Northmount by St. Francis), maybe I should pay the guy and then just tell those guys to go get it off his lot?

this fucking sucks :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

Tik-Tok
10-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Pay him (unfortunately, he did do the work wether it was the fuel pump or not). Then ask how he didn't noticed how shitty it ran when he drove it out of the shop. Then take it elsewhere and let him know you will NOT be a repeat customer and will NOT be recommending him to anyone.

edit to add: 11 days for a fuel pump? WTF? I bet autovalue has one in stock, and it would only take a few hourse to change it. When you go to another shop, ask if they can make sure the "new" pump is new, kind of sounds like he shopped around for 10 days at junk yards trying to find one to put in.

403Gemini
10-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
The joys of shady mechanics. 1 single problem becomes 20 as he tries to diagnose the broken parts without having the proper tools to do so.

Find a new mechanic. I thought it was weird the first day when he said it was a fuel pump...

Best advice right here

l8braker
10-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Sounds like a typical shady neighbourhood mechanic. Have the car towed to the other guy (i can give you an excellent guy off Crowchild Tr. S if you want). One thing ALWAYS leads to another with some of these guys. More reason to learn about your car and fix it yourself.

Fuck them

nonlinear
10-22-2006, 02:31 PM
yea, my dad has some 'neighborhood' mechanic shops back home, so I thought I was kinda aware of these shady kinds of people. But, I've also learned that for every shady mechanic, there is also a really honest and excellent neighborhood mechanic.

I've been bringing my car to this guy since I moved here in 2001, and he's always done good honest work. This is the first problem I've ever had.

Unfortunately, the guy's shop is closed today and there isn't a voice mail machine there, so i'm thinking about writing a letter and leaving it at the door so he finds it first thing in the morning. I'm thinking of basically saying that I want him to call me with a diagnosis and price estiamte before fixing anything, and that if he can't guarentee that this will work then I will take it elsewhere.

what do you guys think of that?

Also, if i do need to take it somewhere else, anyone know someone who can tow it for cheap:D

l8braker
10-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Go and talk to him, don't write a pansy letter. Tell him how you feel about the situation and see what he has to say.

nonlinear
10-22-2006, 02:38 PM
well, i am just thinking of leaving a letter so that he gets it first thing in the morning. I don't want him to touch my car before talking to me.

quikkoop
10-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Hah I got to Francis, and know what shop you're talking about. Cant say Ive been i nthere, or to the OK tire, but I wouldnt trust either of those places... They just dont look right to me :dunno: Try somewhere else. Good luck!

msommers
10-22-2006, 09:04 PM
You went there! Damn man, should have asked first. My buddy had his Jetta fixed there, tons of stuff didn't work after

metrosfinest
11-15-2006, 04:19 AM
GREAT PLAN get it off his lot before he has it impounded and call AMMVIC look them up on the net ... there is a lot of scum bag shops in this city ...there only out to rip you off .... Call the shop of your choice FIRST then have them recomend a good towing firm just give up on this con man ..... you will be 10 steps ahead of the game by removeing it :dunno:

BigMass
11-15-2006, 08:54 AM
that actually does sound like a faulty ECU but im sure you dont want to find out through trial and error on your buck

topmade
11-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Is this guy even diagnosing the problem with a computer or is he just guessing? You will have to pay for the work that has been done, but also ask to see the old fuel pump??? My experience with some mechanics is that they just become to familiar with some people and will start putting off your stuff because they know you are a regular customer that will come back.

And if you do plan on going to another shop, some of them will have their own tow trucks and won't charge you the tow if you let them fix it.