PDA

View Full Version : whats everyones opinion on the SRT-4

voodoo
05-02-2003, 04:08 PM
im thinkin about tradin in the cavalier for a SRT-4. i was just wondering what everyone thought about them. and the one in the pic below

http://www.srtforums.com/phpBB2/templates/millenniumFalcon/images/header.jpg

Ben
05-02-2003, 04:12 PM
Out of the box its deffinatly quite the pocket rocket, but the price reflects that alot over a base Neon. Definatly going to be a different set of people buying them.

As much as I dislike the style and those cars in general, I have respect, because its damn well gonna suck getting owned by one. :(

;) haha

Time to bump up priority on a little FI action for myself. Cant let myself get owned by neons for TOO long. ;)

voodoo
05-02-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Time to bump up priority on a little FI action for myself. Cant let myself get owned by neons for TOO long. ;)

thats what im thinkin. if ya cant beat them, join them. dont think i will beable to get one though. from what i heard there arnt that many comming to canada the first year

finboy
05-02-2003, 04:17 PM
daaaaaaamn nice, just ditch the wing, "dual exhaust" and it would be perfect.

and those seats look soooooooo nice.

Ekliptix
05-02-2003, 04:24 PM
goes fast
looks meh

voodoo
05-02-2003, 04:24 PM
yeh i agree with the wing. dont like most wings on cars

mwmhong
05-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Bang-for-the-buck out of the box it's a great performance deal!:thumbsup:

Looks are subjective, but I like the way it looks. :dunno:

Don't look for comfort or refinement, reliability is questionable (but it comes with 7/70 warranty). :thumbsdow

I predict the SRT-4 will become the number one car-fight target of aggressive import drivers on the street.
*runs and hides*

That silver one in that pic looks kinda ugly, I don't know why it just does. Trying to look too Porsche, I think.

speedracer
05-02-2003, 04:26 PM
Spoiler is functional.

But this is the better reason @ 18psi

Hollywood
05-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong
Don't look for comfort or refinement, reliability is questionable (but it comes with 7/70 warranty). :thumbsdow

Who ever looked for comfort and refinement in a Neon to begin with??:dunno: :nut:

7/70 warranty, It would be hard not to mod that car thus bye bye warranty.

I think the car is cool and I'm sure a lot of people are jelous of it's power. Needs LSD in a bad way though IMO.

chrisgushue
05-02-2003, 04:32 PM
its fast, but still looks liek a neon:S i dunno id have to see oen in person or one done up to tell

air_mikey
05-02-2003, 04:41 PM
its fast but its still a ford.

Ben
05-02-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by air_mikey

HUH? :dunno:

BTW, change your sig, you are outside of allowable sig size as noted clearly in the thread link below:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12018

air_mikey
05-02-2003, 04:51 PM
yeah the srt-4 are fast but i dont like them because they are fords. i personally dont like fords. their ugly in my opinion.

whoops didnt know that, ill just take it off for now cuz im too lazy to change the size rite now.

GT2NV
05-02-2003, 04:59 PM
dodge.....

speedracer
05-02-2003, 05:00 PM
yeah the srt-4 are fast but i dont like them because they are fords. i personally dont like fords. their ugly in my opinion.

:rofl: Ok:confused:

air_mikey
05-02-2003, 05:01 PM
whoops...dodge ford same shiet...lol

l/l/rX
05-02-2003, 05:06 PM
the neon is the best bang for you buck
the engine is wicked....but i dont like the looks of the exterior/interior looks cheap from the pics i've seen. IMO the interior of the wrx is much nicer looking to the neon.
(i compared the Neon to the WRX cause thats what its most often compared to)

Mckenzie
05-02-2003, 05:15 PM
I guess you cant argue with the performance. I'll give it that....

But at the end of the day you still have a neon....:rolleyes:

B18C
05-02-2003, 05:27 PM
I think it will be a great car. Definitely the best bang for your buck performance-wise. I don't mind the styling either. The only thing I don't like about it is the age of it's target buyers. There's going to be a lot of accidents when this puppy comes out to play.

fast95pony
05-03-2003, 01:39 AM

Just like Honda's,Lada's........

:rolleyes:

chrisgushue
05-03-2003, 02:07 AM
what u been smoking tonight?:rofl:

5.9 R/T
05-03-2003, 02:29 AM

That's a pimpin hyundia in your sig, what year is it?

szw
05-03-2003, 02:34 AM
I actually had a dream the other night where some drunk driver hit me and totalled my car, then I bought an SRT-4.

max_boost
05-03-2003, 03:08 AM
SRT-4 is still a Neon, still a Dodge
Well a Civic Type R is still a Civic, still a Honda!
STi is still a Impreza, still a Subaru
M3 is still a 3 series, but its a BMW!
:rofl: :rofl:

Yah a WRX is better, but it costs almost $10K more

Do you guys have any other points besides that?

For $30K, best bang for your buck out there. 7 years, 115K km warranty, add a catback exhaust and there is another 10hp. Not to mention the car is under-rated from the factory. Also smoked a WRX with 4 passengers.

I think you guys need to start appreciating this car for its performance, rather than hating it because its a Dodge Neon LOL

I will graciously lose to these cars as my S2K stands no chance unless from a roll:rofl:

Ben
05-03-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
SRT-4 is still a Neon, still a Dodge
Well a Civic Type R is still a Civic, still a Honda!
STi is still a Impreza, still a Subaru
M3 is still a 3 series, but its a BMW!
:rofl: :rofl:

Yah a WRX is better, but it costs almost $10K more

Do you guys have any other points besides that?

For $30K, best bang for your buck out there. 7 years, 115K km warranty, add a catback exhaust and there is another 10hp.

I think you guys need to start appreciating this car for its performance, rather than hating it because its a Dodge Neon LOL

I agree...maybe people just cant face the cold hard truth that they are slower than a stock Neon? :dunno:

I give that car respect where it deserves. I absolutly dislike the body style, but gosh darn it hauls ass! :thumbsup:

fast95pony
05-03-2003, 05:10 AM
I'm sure it will embarrass a few Mustang GT owners too...stock GT's anyway...;)

How many are coming to Canada ?? Is there a limited number ??

CRXguy
05-03-2003, 09:27 AM
Wasn't it something like 300 cars for the end of the year?

kevie88
05-03-2003, 12:08 PM
I love the cars.. Kudo's to Dodge for growing a set of balls and building what we wanted all along, from every manufacturer! Thank you for raising the bar!

I really feel that Dalmler Chrysler has come light years from the bad old days, I dont think the reliability will be that much of an issue (until people start trying to get away with 30psi!!)

RGAGT
05-03-2003, 12:26 PM
:D when this car hit's the streets there are going to be a lot of owned Import Drivers :thumbsup:

Hey Roland next year buddy next year :thumbsup:

cocoabrova
05-03-2003, 07:02 PM
I like B--:burnout::burnout:--S--T...............
and boobies:thumbsup:

Ashkente
05-03-2003, 10:37 PM
:thumbsup: :clap:
This is the beginning of a new generation of sport compacts :D
Everyone manufacturer is jumping in on the bandwagon, and WE benefit :) Personally, I can't wait to see the next gen Supra and RX-7 :drool:

STI-Guy
05-03-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Ashkente
Personally, I can't wait to see the next gen Supra and RX-7 :drool:

Don't hold your breath. I don't know whatever happened to the "5000GT" Supra that Toyota was building, and Ford is being a bitch when it comes to rotary. The RX-7 did terrible business, and only humongous sales for the 8 will bring it back.

That's a keeper!

Tilly
05-05-2003, 02:35 PM
First off, I believe that reliability will be descent considering that dodge has had experience with 2.2L shelby, and 3.0L MINIVAN (!) turbos in the past. Those cars were just as good as thier unequivalent-performance counterparts - although I'm sure there were at least a few bugs that needed to be worked out (just like any car in it's first year of production).

Secondly, dodge is doing something that all companies are deathly afraid of doing, that is, making power. Look at thier Viper SRT-10, Viper powered Ram, and the 2004 SRT-8 (check this one out!).. not to mention the hemi- dakotas, durangos, etc. They have experience, and I believe it shows.
.. if anything, dodge is gonna be the "coolest" manufacturer soon because of all the crazy products that they have the balls to make.

And thirdly, it's an SRT-4.. not a neon - just as an sx 2.0 is not a neon. :poosie:

finboy
05-05-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Tilly
First off, I believe that reliability will be descent considering that dodge has had experience with 2.2L shelby, and 3.0L MINIVAN (!) turbos in the past. Those cars were just as good as thier unequivalent-performance counterparts - although I'm sure there were at least a few bugs that needed to be worked out (just like any car in it's first year of production).

Secondly, dodge is doing something that all companies are deathly afraid of doing, that is, making power. Look at thier Viper SRT-10, Viper powered Ram, and the 2004 SRT-8 (check this one out!).. not to mention the hemi- dakotas, durangos, etc. They have experience, and I believe it shows.
.. if anything, dodge is gonna be the "coolest" manufacturer soon because of all the crazy products that they have the balls to make.

And thirdly, it's an SRT-4.. not a neon - just as an sx 2.0 is not a neon. :poosie:

one correction, the turbo 4 cyl's of the 80's/early 90's were all 2.2 and 2.5's.

the caravan used a turbo 2.5 although there were a couple factory turbo 3.0L's made that never made it into production

Toma
05-05-2003, 04:15 PM
They are FUGLY. Need to be lower an wider., the headlights need to go. And $40,000+ for a souped up neon? Ridiculous.

gpomp
05-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Toma
They are FUGLY. Need to be lower an wider., the headlights need to go. And $40,000+ for a souped up neon? Ridiculous.

It's $20k USD. That should convert to something like 27-28k CDN.

EvilNeon
05-05-2003, 04:30 PM
$25,995 for one with the stock wheels. The only option available is one with bigger, chunkier wheels.

DC has also made it known that any dealer caught doing 'additional dealer markup' will be fined, made to return the money, and lose their 5 star status which will mean they can no longer sell PVO vehicles.

speedracer
05-06-2003, 11:47 AM
SRT-4's handle like crap... :rofl:

Road America #1 - Time Trial
Pos Car # Vehicle Class Time Points

1 3 RUF RGT SSGT1 3:29.642 420
Gary Church, Paul Gerrard
2 2 chev MTI Z-07 SSGT1 3:36.336 415
Ronald Adee, John Myrick
3 52 Dodge SRT-4 MidPri Sed 3:40.464 410
Cory O`Brien, Erich Heuschele
4 4 Chevy Corvette Z06 SSGT1 3:56.414 405
John Boos, Ronald Marks
5 25 Pontiac Firebird SSGT2 4:05.273 400
Dan Corcoran, Kyle Corcoran

6 6 Dodge Viper GTS SSGT1 4:06.945 395
Alan Modzelewski, Tom Atherton
7 19 Mitsubishi Evolution MidPri Sed 4:08.387 390
frank jordan, Jon Krolewicz, Brian Dowling
8 15 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S U V 4:10.138 385
Tony Swan, Mary Seelhorst
9 8 Porsche 996 Twin Turbo SSGT1 4:10.389 380
Mark DaVia, Chuck Veth
10 59 Mitsubishi Evolution 8 MidPri Sed 4:12.009 375
Mitch Farner, Ryan Farner

Cumulative Overall Points
Results sorted by position
Pos Car # Vehicle Class Points

1 2 chev MTI Z-07 SSGT1 2465
Ronald Adee, John Myrick
2 4 Chevy Corvette Z06 SSGT1 2465
John Boos, Ronald Marks
3 3 RUF RGT SSGT1 2440
Gary Church, Paul Gerrard
4 1 Dodge Viper SSGT1 2425
David Zelkowski, Brian Smith
5 5 Toyota Supra Turbo SSGT1 2350
Andi Baritchi, Clint Pohler

6 6 Dodge Viper GTS SSGT1 2340
Alan Modzelewski, Tom Atherton
7 8 Porsche 996 Twin Turbo SSGT1 2330
Mark DaVia, Chuck Veth
8 20 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ZR1 SSGT1 2180
Scott Ahlgrim, Steve Ahlgrim
9 7 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 SSGT1 2175
Rodney Sizemore, Rick Sizemore
10 52 Dodge SRT-4 MidPri Sed 2075
Cory O`Brien, Erich Heuschele
11 50 Audi S-4 Luxury Sed 1995
Norman Babcock, Michael Babcock
12 73 Porsche 911 Vint For 1985
Glen Clarke, Louis Frlan III
13 23 BMW M Coupe SSGT1 1950
Ryan Catucci, Lawrence Leff
14 34 Ford Probe GT SSGT2 1940
Greg Hagopian, Stacey Bertran
15 63 Subaru WRX Wagon MidPri Sed 1925
Luke Russell, Jeremy Snyder

16 14 BMW M5 Luxury Sed 1895
Roy Hopkins, Nancy Becker
17 28 Porsche 911 TT SSGT1 1875
Alan Tackman, Michael Curcio
18 43 Nissan 350Z SSGT2 1865
Carter Thompson, Jeremy Sweeney
19 72 BMW Bavaria Vint For 1830
Bill Arnold, Tamara Hull
20 10 Lamborghini Diablo SSGT1 1785
Karl H. Troy, Mike Appleby

boosty
05-06-2003, 11:07 PM
Lots of speed for 30k Canadian and I've always loved turbo-4's (it's all I've ever known), but someone said it best when they said this about the SRT-4, "At the end of the day, it's still a Neon.".

EvilNeon
05-07-2003, 12:08 AM
And guys with Porsches say, "at the end of the day, Acura is still a just a Honda."

So?

Mckenzie
05-07-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by EvilNeon
And guys with Porsches say, "at the end of the day, Acura is still a just a Honda."

So?

I dont really think that is the same analogy as the above. "At the end of the day its still a civic" would be more likely.

It all boils down to reputation.....

The neon has never had a reputation for being a car with "MaD TiGhT HorSepoWEr," amazing reliability, or razor like handling.

I installed a stereo in a friends neon andI can say that I have never seen a car so cheaply made. After going through 8 hour nightmares in my acura ripping the car apart to install a stereo and going into the neon, I was able to recognize a car made with low quality parts and a second class design. Everything from the trim that holds down the paneling to the trunk lining was either falling apart or rusting away. IT was actually quite pathetic to see where the designers did cheap out on parts.

That being said, the stock neon handles like a fridge on wheels and is not that fast until it is done up with aftermarket parts.

That being said, as stated by many people, the SRT-4 has defenitaly improved its handling and power capabilities. I will not deny that and one would be stupid to do so. However, the bottom line is, even if the handling characteristics are improved to that of a ferrari, the engine is made to produce 400 hp from the factory and the interior is done up with leather, wood paneling and chrome, the reputation that has preceeded the neon would not allow it to sell for a high market price. People wouldn't want to associate a 40 50, 60K car with the same name that sits on one of the entry level econo-boxes of the late nineties.

mwmhong
05-07-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
I dont really think that is the same analogy as the above. "At the end of the day its still a civic" would be more likely.

It all boils down to reputation.....

The neon has never had a reputation for being a car with "MaD TiGhT HorSepoWEr," amazing reliability, or razor like handling.

For the price the neon had excellent handling and power compared to the competition, they do very well in autocross competition.
But you are correct about the problems with reliability. :rofl:

I installed a stereo in a friends neon andI can say that I have never seen a car so cheaply made. After going through 8 hour nightmares in my acura ripping the car apart to install a stereo and going into the neon, I was able to recognize a car made with low quality parts and a second class design. Everything from the trim that holds down the paneling to the trunk lining was either falling apart or rusting away. IT was actually quite pathetic to see where the designers did cheap out on parts.

I'm afraid I have to agree, the early models weren't very well-made at all, but the later models have improved (frames on the windows, less engine noise/vibration, better headgasket)
The soundsaround guys give me shit too. LOL!

That being said, the stock neon handles like a fridge on wheels and is not that fast until it is done up with aftermarket parts.

That can be said about any car in the neons price range.

People wouldn't want to associate a 40 50, 60K car with the same name that sits on one of the entry level econo-boxes of the late nineties.

That's getting borderline straw-man. The neon, even the SRT-4 isn't anywhere near those price ranges, you're looking into Audi, Lexus, BMW, Sub Sti.

Furthermore, with the SRT line-up the neon is already 'associated' with the much-higher priced SRT-10 Ram and Viper (125K), but the selling point isn't luxury, refinement, or build quality it is about performance. :burnout:

speedracer
05-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
[B]

Perhaps not in your circle. But last I checked in it's class it has the highest HP rating and the BEST handling in it's class. Realiability - other than the head gasket I don't see many problems....

The First Gen. Quite a few racers would disagree. Oddly for a fridge it dominates showroom Stock C - in fact it is the car to drive to win in that class. It also gives the Miata a good run for their money in SSB. It also does very well in in Solo 2.n In fact locally there are 3 neons that compete very well.

Sure, in the end the SRT-4 is a rebadged neon. But one that has you seeing it tail light.

92 Teg-B18A
05-07-2003, 03:29 PM
You know it does look like it would be pretty fun to drive. How much is one of those goin' for?

voodoo
05-07-2003, 03:39 PM
i belive somewhere between $25-30K

and aparently they cant mark then up or they loose their 5 star rating and then they cant sell PVO cars. i read that somewhere (found out i read it someones post above mine)

Mckenzie
05-07-2003, 08:55 PM

For the price the neon had excellent handling and power compared to the competition, they do very well in autocross competition.
But you are correct about the problems with reliability. :rofl:

I agree with the for the price statement. I am also aware of the autoXing neons doing very well.

I'm afraid I have to agree, the early models weren't very well-made at all, but the later models have improved (frames on the windows, less engine noise/vibration, better headgasket)
The soundsaround guys give me shit too. LOL!

LOL.....I guess you can see improvements in any line of car. I am specifically talking about a 95, which would be an early model. I actually like the new dodge cars (for interior) over any new domestic. I have to say that the new chevs have the cheapest interiors out of any car on the planet.....:rolleyes:

That can be said about any car in the neons price range.

That's getting borderline straw-man. The neon, even the SRT-4 isn't anywhere near those price ranges, you're looking into Audi, Lexus, BMW, Sub Sti.

:werd: I know it is borderline straw-man (someone knows their fallacies ;)). I did not mean for you to take it that way. I was just saying, for example, if dodge wanted to put a neon badge on a car that was trying to compete (therefore bringing it up in price, not necessarily SRT-4) with a high end car which has had a reputation for being top quality in the past (BMW, ETC), then they would have a tough time trying to sell the car because people are not ready to mentally put the 'neon' name and 'high end' into the same sentence. Eventhough the SRT-4 may outhandle and outperform a majority of more expensive cars, unfortunately no matter how good it does this, or how reliable it is, it can really only keep a small market segment (arguably being young people...).

Similarily.....I think that Volkswagen is going to run into a smiliar situation when it starts production of their new Phaeton. For the same price they are trying to put a VW into the same market as BMW, MB and Audi. I have read many reviews on the car which praise it for everything up and down, but they all still say the same thing. People wont fork out the money for a car which shares the same name as the bug.

Bottom line: Unfortunately reputation is everything, no matter how fast, economical or reliable a car may be. (or as sprite says, 'image')

Furthermore, with the SRT line-up the neon is already 'associated' with the much-higher priced SRT-10 Ram and Viper (125K), but the selling point isn't luxury, refinement, or build quality it is about performance. :burnout:

:werd:

I couldn't agree more. However, I think the neon name was tarnished with its first generation. They were meant to be econo-boxes (as are base civics and cavaliers/sunfires). I would have the same opinion of a 'Cavalier SS' or a 'Civic Type R, Edition S, A Spec'. I would have to say that I would have a different opinion on the car (SRT-4) if it did not resemble the neon so much (as gay as it sounds). It would seem like a fresh face for the car..... kinda like a new beginning, where people would only be able to prejudge based on the dodge name instead of the neon name.

Mckenzie
05-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by speedracer

Perhaps not in your circle. But last I checked in it's class it has the highest HP rating and the BEST handling in it's class. Realiability - other than the head gasket I don't see many problems....

I think there are too many variables to say for sure that the neon has the best handling rating. Also, I am not sure which cars you are comparing the neon to, and I am not sure which models/years (neons) you are comparing either. I was basically trying to say that even though the SRT-4 DOES have the speed and handling, the reputation of the past neon will make it harder to accept the fact that it just may be a superior car. A self confessed neon driver has even admitted that his stock neon sucks at cornering, and was not fast out of the box until it was done up with quite a few aftermarket performance mods.

Originally posted by speedracer

Sure, in the end the SRT-4 is a rebadged neon. But one that has you seeing it tail light.

:werd: I probably wouldn't even try to race....:thumbsup:

Goliath
05-08-2003, 02:01 PM
my opinion:

despite of its good handling (0.85g according to Car & Driver), remember this is a FWD. so it's gonna understeer at corners with its 200+ hp (well if you don't drive hard that's another story...). lost grip = lost control = chance for an accident therefore SRT-4 is not really my kind of car.

but i still want that turbo for my car :love: :drool:

voodoo
05-08-2003, 02:13 PM
i think im gonna see what kind of numbers my cavalier puts out at the track this summer and go from there

EvilNeon
05-08-2003, 02:21 PM
Your friend quite likely had a base model one. The Sport, RT and ACR Neons came with a much better suspension (1st gen) whereas the EX models came with that typical gooey mushy suspension that people equate to "Ohh, it's a nice ride".

I drove an EX rental when I was out of town on business once and I damn near ditched it because I mis-judged the waterbed-on-wheels handling of the base model. Oops. :)

StrokeD z
05-08-2003, 04:55 PM
well i got the 2004 strada mag and here are some quotes about the SRT-4......if we told you dodge could deliver straight from the box a sexy machine that can do 0-100km/hin under 6 seconds and could be yours for much,muchless than cars of the similar performance,would you believe us?

well,its true!and its here!the SRT-4 the pocket rocket from DODGE is the puickest production car in its category and the quickest car in the dodge line up after the viper.

an altogether mean machine,the SRT-4 is engineered by performance vehicle operations.PVO brings together the best performance development processes,durable high performance parts and some of the most talented motorsport engineers to also rpoduce the incredible dodge viper SRT-10 and the exiting ram SRT-10.

lurking under the hood of the dodge SRT-4 is a turbocharged and intercooled 2.4l 4 cylinder engine producing 215hp and an impressive 245 lb-ft of torque,paire to a heavt duty,five speed manual tranny and a dual outlet exhust system.superior handling is made possible by 17inch aluminum wheels,sticky hight performance 50 series tires,speciallt tuned strut,spring and sway bar assemblies,while four wheel abs dice brakes with larger rotors and calipers.

for a customized turner car look,dodge SRT-4 gets a new scooped hood,rear spoiler,front and rear fascias and still mounted ground effects.inside,viper style racing seats and TURBO BOOST GAUGE complement the serious performance story

soon at your dodge retailer.take one for a spin:it ll blow your socks off!

Cruz
09-03-2006, 09:11 PM
2 weeks ago bought an Audi S4. In 2 weeks, I've had 3 SRT-4's pull up at a light and the driver acting hardcore. I have no problem with the cars, it's the drivers that bother me.

Just my personal thoughts.

calgarys13
09-03-2006, 09:15 PM
sweet bump:thumbsup:

euro_racer
09-03-2006, 09:19 PM
holly 3 year old thread lol

anyways just like you i like srt4 too but some, SOME drivers are usually priks on the road

Crymson
09-03-2006, 09:19 PM
LOL, sweet bump is right.

I saw one coming up behind me on sarcee today, i don't know if that intercooler is stock or not, but when an srt-4 is coming up behind you, it looks liek it's about to eat your car.

Cruz
09-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
LOL, sweet bump is right.

I saw one coming up behind me on sarcee today, i don't know if that intercooler is stock or not, but when an srt-4 is coming up behind you, it looks liek it's about to eat your car.

LOL. I did a search on SRT-4 cause I remembered seeing this thread forever ago and I found it. Just came to mind because incident #3 happened this afternoon!