PDA

View Full Version : Should I get my deposit back??

Importz
10-22-2006, 03:51 PM
I was to pick up my truck this weekend in edmonton... Long story short... been talking to the seller for a bout a week now....the dude told me the truck was mint...23,000km.... etc etc....

I drive down there to pick it up... but the truck was in miles....right awy i told the dude i did not want it...cause it was in miles....for the whole week talking to him he never told me that the truck was in miles....he keeps saying it has 23.000km and never once told me it was in miles......

I told him i want my deposit back..and he would not give it to me... \

So am I enttiled to get my deposit back??

evo916
10-22-2006, 03:58 PM
i belive you are because he misinformed you, i dont know much about the subject but im pretty sure he will have to give it back

4doorj
10-22-2006, 04:07 PM
yes he should give it back

Tik-Tok
10-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by evo916
i belive you are because he misinformed you, i dont know much about the subject but im pretty sure he will have to give it back

+1

Call the cops, tell them he stole your money, they may refer you to small claims court, but try anyways.

max_boost
10-22-2006, 04:19 PM
The QX56 you were talking about? American car so no warranty then?

Was the price much lower than market value here?
You didn't run a carfax or carproof on the vehicle?

Yes he should return your deposit but if he doesn't what are your options? Kick his ass? Pursue it in court? Did you save any text conversations you may have had with him?

I hate it when people just outright lie to you. WTF!

Importz
10-22-2006, 04:22 PM
^^ yes sthe qx56 he had listed for $58 and change.... no i didnt run a carfax.. should i take him to court?? it such a fukn hassle....

max_boost
10-22-2006, 04:24 PM
At least you know for next time.

How much of a deposit did you give him?

Importz
10-22-2006, 04:25 PM
this is the truck.....even here is listed in KM not miles

http://canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=23793683&pgno=1&srt=1

Importz
10-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
At least you know for next time.

How much of a deposit did you give him?

1G

arian_ma
10-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Screen shot that page for proof :D

Rarasaurus
10-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Pain in the ass to go to court. Try the police see what they have to say. 1g is a lot though so if it was me id def try everything to get it back. Maybe try and sue him for lost time too.

eb0i
10-22-2006, 05:26 PM
I believe you are entitled to your money back as he falsely advertised his truck in km's when it was actually in miles

As everyone has said before:
-file a report with the police and go on from there
-don't let him keep your grand
-hopefully you have proof of your dealings with him
-take him to small claims court

Gondi Stylez
10-22-2006, 05:27 PM
yea he will have to give it back... false advertising

RobTheGob
10-22-2006, 05:44 PM
I doubt the police will do anything for you - this is a civil matter.

He should give you your money back - but you may have to take him to court in order to get it back. Start documenting everything now - I'm sure you will win if you keep good records.

3G
10-22-2006, 11:44 PM
AMVIC :)

Weapon_R
10-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by 3G
AMVIC :)

...does not deal with private sales.

msommers
10-22-2006, 11:50 PM
talk to a lawyer

tapout
10-23-2006, 12:01 AM
honestly its still a good deal man.very sexy you should buy it

alienman
10-23-2006, 12:11 AM
First try telling the guy you are gonna get the police involved as well as a lawyer because of the false advertising. See if maybe you can scare him into giving you your money back... it will be just as much of a pain in the ass for him if you take it to court so he may just give it back...

Mitsu3000gt
10-23-2006, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by alienman
First try telling the guy you are gonna get the police involved as well as a lawyer because of the false advertising. See if maybe you can scare him into giving you your money back... it will be just as much of a pain in the ass for him if you take it to court so he may just give it back...

Exactly what I was about to say - the pain in the ass of court applies to him too, you should tell him thats where your going to take him after you've tried the police and I bet he gives it back. If not, take him to court and you will 100% for sure get the money back unless he completely denies telling you it was in KM.

japancar
10-23-2006, 06:20 AM
You said you put down 1000 on a 58,000 car. Wow.

You should get your money back. If he said kms, and then you find out its miles, that's false representation. You have proof he said kms. It'll make your case stronger.

Try to deal with the guy without making any threats. If he can see your point, he may understand. Tell him that mis-representing a car is against the law, and that he should just give back your deposit. You made a deposit in good faith, and he mis-represented himself.

If he doesn't then you can talk with the police. It is a civil manner, but he is withholding something he shouldn't (your deposit). You have proof he said kms to you, and the car is in miles, you win, no contest.

Is the car hot? Its worth much more than the replacement. I wonder why the guy is selling for so little.

Mitsu3000gt
10-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Print a screenshot of his ad right away. Not only in the title of his ad does it say KM, but within the ad where he for sure wrote it in, it also says KM. I think your good to go, just may be a small hassle but well worth 1G.

Teggy
10-23-2006, 10:39 AM
if h dosen't give back your cash put a lean on something he owns like a house, or business:thumbsup:

asp integra
10-23-2006, 01:27 PM
technically he lied to you, thats voids the contract u made when u gave him the deposit, he HAS to return the deposit to you or you can take legal action and you are guarenteed to win

eb0i
10-23-2006, 02:46 PM
So I contacted autotrader through via suggestion box and gave them the link to his add and told autotrader that it was falsely advertised ast 22000km when it is 22000 miles. This is the response I received.

Thank you for your e-mail, Alex.

In order to contact the customer and request a change, I need to know the year, make & model of the vehicle and the phone number, including the area code that was advertised in the ad. I suspect that the customer placed their ad on the website and wasn’t sure how to put the miles in instead of the kms.

If you could provide me with this additional information, I will attempt to contact the customer.

Thank you for choosing Trader to look up vehicles for sale.