PDA

View Full Version : Centre Street LRT accident

Hanzo
10-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Hey anyone know what happend? I was on the ctrain and was forced to get off at 6th street. Had to walk to centre street to my work. There was police and ambulance everywhere. I was already late so didn't really bother with what happend. My co-worker told me that it was a fatal pedistrian accident...

anyone else know what happend?

jacelin
10-24-2006, 08:57 AM
a bike was hit by the train. i'm not sure if anyone was hurt because i didn't see any blood and i didn't see the person who owned the bike anywhere. but the bike was under the train. hopefully nobody was hurt.
i was on my way to school, and i had to walk from 3rd street s.e. to 8street s.w. what a long walk....was half an hour late for school

rage2
10-24-2006, 09:03 AM
ya I just walked downstairs for breakfast, and looks like all downtown c-train traffic has stopped. Platforms full of people, trains at every block packed with people can't get off. Crazy.

Hanzo
10-24-2006, 09:28 AM
if the bike was caught under the train... that could be a bad sign... well i hope the person is okay :(

89coupe
10-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Co-worker said she saw the body, all bloody, not moving. Paramedics appeared to be taking their time. She said he looked like a construction worker or possibly a homeless person. Most likely fatal.

infamous
10-24-2006, 09:30 AM
i deliver downtown, and from what i heard, a guy hit the c-train on his bike....guy is in hospital, no idea on how he's doing. i'm glad that my route covers everything west of 4 st sw! :drama:

jacelin
10-24-2006, 09:37 AM
ok i guess the guy was hit before my train got there. but hopefully he's alright.

DoubleLP
10-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Downtown was just a mess this morning with the accident tying up traffic and also with all the damn construction that is happening. 12th Ave was down to 1 LANE between 5th street and 4th street SW because of the bloody construction.

They should pick a much better time to do construction then during rush hour. Idiots.

I do hope though that the guy on the bike is ok and was not seriously hurt with the C-train crash.

TimG
10-24-2006, 10:16 AM
I had to walk from Victoria Park to Eau Claire this morning.

TimG
10-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Male Cyclist Survives Being Hit By LRT In Downtown Calgary
Oct, 24 2006 - 10:10 AM

CALGARY/AM770CHQR - A cyclist was hit by a C-train in downtown Calgary during the morning rush hour Tuesday.
Calgary EMS says the man, believed to be in his 30's, suffered serious, but non-life-threatening injuries after being hit by the LRT at Centre Street and 7th Avenue southwest just after 7:30 a.m.
The LRT line has to be closed in the area, and passengers ended up walking to their destinations.

dennisaur
10-24-2006, 11:15 AM
well good thing he didn't die

fast95pony
10-24-2006, 11:24 AM
I guess the speeding C-Train came out of nowhere and hit the cyclist ??

Call me cynical , but some cyclists are not very smart.
I almost hit another one this morning riding along the airport service road at 5:30 am wearing dark clothing and no lights or reflective gear.

It's a Darwin thing..

gp36912
10-24-2006, 11:28 AM
yes its a darwin thing, but darwinism in this case missed its mark, most of my class was late because of it, 6 people showed up this morning on time. :D and thats cuz we were coming from the north and not the south.

at least his injuries were non life threatening.

Aleks
10-24-2006, 11:40 AM
First off I am glad the man will recover.

Here is my question though. Once the guy was taken away by ambulance and statements taken from witnesses why not reopen the line right away? What more can be learned by shutting the track down for hours?

Super_Geo
10-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Quote from the train driver over the intercom:

"Well the good news is that the guy survived. This is always good news because now we can give him a ticket."

rage2
10-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Here is my question though. Once the guy was taken away by ambulance and statements taken from witnesses why not reopen the line right away? What more can be learned by shutting the track down for hours?
They take TONS of pictures, comb the entire area for skid marks, and any other pieces of relevant evidence. I was stuck at a crime scene for a few hrs and it sucked cuz cops won't let u leave.

It's not as simple as a CSI episode haha.

ninjak84
10-24-2006, 11:55 AM
While I'm also glad he's ok, maybe cyclists could take a breath and stop acting like they're all high on crystal meth? My memory starts to fade when I try and remember the last time I saw someone walk their bike across the road. I'll bet every penny I have that the guy who got hit by the C-Train didn't dismount and look both ways for clearance.

TimG
10-24-2006, 12:20 PM
anyone know if it was a bicycle courier or some joe shmoe commuting to work?

Aleks
10-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by rage2

They take TONS of pictures, comb the entire area for skid marks, and any other pieces of relevant evidence. I was stuck at a crime scene for a few hrs and it sucked cuz cops won't let u leave.

It's not as simple as a CSI episode haha.

Damn TV lied to me again :banghead: :rofl:

rage2
10-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84
While I'm also glad he's ok, maybe cyclists could take a breath and stop acting like they're all high on crystal meth? My memory starts to fade when I try and remember the last time I saw someone walk their bike across the road. I'll bet every penny I have that the guy who got hit by the C-Train didn't dismount and look both ways for clearance.
You're not supposed to walk your bike across the road unless you're on a sidewalk, where you're not allowed to ride anyways. As a cyclist, you're supposed to ride on the road and adhere to the same rules as motor vehicles, which fucking sucks downtown haha.

Aleks
10-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Coming home last week i saw a guy on a bike riding down McLeod trail. He was riding in the middle of one of the lanes, during rush hour. First time I've seen that.

Hanzo
10-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Coming home last week i saw a guy on a bike riding down McLeod trail. He was riding in the middle of one of the lanes, during rush hour. First time I've seen that.

during a red light, someone should come out of their car and ask him to stay off to the sides if he ignores, then kick his ass for slowing down traffic.

Xtrema
10-24-2006, 01:37 PM
The traintrack on 7th should either go +15 or underground. On ground fight with vehicle traffic sucks.

in*10*se
10-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Quote from the train driver over the intercom:

"Well the good news is that the guy survived. This is always good news because now we can give him a ticket."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

barbarian
10-24-2006, 09:43 PM
I was thinking this morning, have you ever seen a bike courier with lights? They're going all around at 8 AM when it's still pretty dark.

Woz
10-24-2006, 09:47 PM
That's why is a no traffic zone...

natejj
10-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
I guess the speeding C-Train came out of nowhere and hit the cyclist ??

Call me cynical , but some cyclists are not very smart.
I almost hit another one this morning riding along the airport service road at 5:30 am wearing dark clothing and no lights or reflective gear.

It's a Darwin thing..

Agreed. On my way home, i stop at a 4 way stop, just as a biker comes ZIPPING through..... doesnt even slow down.... if it had been my turn to go, coulda been worse.

Supa Dexta
10-25-2006, 09:11 PM
I overheard someone this morning downtown, saying he seen the bike right after it happened, mangled beneath the train...

Some kid flew out of an alley across the street in front of me yesterday morning, on a bmx and never even looked sideways until I was on the horn, and then he was doing some looking... :guns:

Majestic12
10-25-2006, 09:38 PM
My dad was on that train that hit the guy. Apparently it was some dumbass who decided he would try to beat the train that was slowing down as it was pulling into the LRT station. So he tried to go through the gap between the start of the LRT station and the oncoming train.

He's just lucky the train was going so slow already.

barbarian
10-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Nothing on Citybeat. Was this an attempted suicide or something?

The bike was pretty reasonable quality, by the way.