PDA

View Full Version : Getting a CA after CMA?

Chim
10-24-2006, 09:14 AM
Eventually I wouldn't mind getting a CA designation, but right now I'm already making double what an articling grad makes, so it wouldn't really make sense to double my work hours just to make half the salary to do my articling.

Getting a CMA seems more viable for me right now, but has anyone heard of people getting a CA after their CMA? I heard that if you have enough hours of work experience, you can go straight to writing the UFE, just wondering if anyone can verify this..

Xtrema
10-24-2006, 09:26 AM
If you want CA, why don't you go for it.

CA > CGA > CMA.

KAVIE
10-24-2006, 10:14 AM
How can you say a CGA is better then a CMA. Anyone off the street can go and get a CGA, but I believe you need some sort of a degree to get a CA or CMA

Weapon_R
10-24-2006, 10:41 AM
You can transfer up to 75% of your CMA courses towards the CA program.

Si_FlyGuy
10-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by KAVIE
How can you say a CGA is better then a CMA. Anyone off the street can go and get a CGA, but I believe you need some sort of a degree to get a CA or CMA

Why don't you inform yourself before making a dumb statement like that, Mr "anyone off the street".

Chim
10-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Well as I said, I'd have to drop my salary by half for the next couple years to do it.... and do insane articling hours

Just wondering if you could go from a CMA to a CA without the hours?[

QUOTE]Originally posted by Xtrema
If you want CA, why don't you go for it.

CA > CGA > CMA. [/QUOTE]

Shaolin
10-24-2006, 12:25 PM
actually you need a degree for all 3 designations I believe.. but lets not get into another designation argument and stay on topic..

Chim, I don't believe you can because your CMA training doesn't really correlate with your CA training..

I believe a lot of people do their CA first.. I think you're the 1st case I've seen that is doing it the other way around.. It makes more sense to do the CA first since you can do your CMA while working in any industry and make good money, while in CA you're pretty much stuck being a Sr. Staff Accountant's bitch for a while until you get your letters..

Many older people with CAs and CMAs do the CA first and then do the CMA as a backup in case they fail the UFE.. a couple Directors at my company went that route but ended up with both designations.

It probably best to contact a rep and discuss it with them.

in*10*se
10-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You can transfer up to 75% of your CMA courses towards the CA program.

I'm curious where you got this from....

anyways, i'm not sure. here's my take.

in order to write the UFE to get your CA
you need:
1. Modules 1-5
2. MPAcc

You then write your Module 6 together w/ MPAcc and then write the UFE.

I can't see how any CMA courses will transfer to Modules 1-5 OR MPAcc.

In order to WRITE the UFE you MUST be a CASB student. MPAcc people are STILL part of casb because they write module 6 and casb facilitates the UFE for western canada.

In my humble opinion. I don't think the CMA classes will transfer over period. However your experience in industry will be invaluable when you complete the casb/mpacc program. You CAN rush through casb/mpacc in a year.

now about your salary. You MIGHT have a chance of a big 4 firm hiring you for ~48k instead of the newstart salary of 40k because of your CMA. but who knows. that probably is negotiable.

THERE IS A POSSIBILITY TO DO YOUR CA WITHOUT AUDIT HOURS.
do i have your attention?

http://casb.com/index.php3?catid=112
you can read about it here. 3 year pilot program. people can do their articling in industry and get a CA (with restrictions)
**restriction being that when you get your CA, it will be restricted and you cannot be doing anything really audit related because u do not have those audit hours**
**restricted to doing your industry articling at an APPROVED TRAINING OFFICE**

happy reading.

Experience in Industry, Public Sector and Other Organizations (IPSO)

A national Qualifications Committee of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants has approved an initiative which will allow CA students to gain a portion of their practical experience in industry, public sector and other organizations. (Prior to September, 2003, students were required to complete the 30-months practical experience component of the CASB program in a public practice firm approved to train students by a provincial Institute of Chartered Accountants.) The three-year pilot project, Experience in Industry, Public Sector and Other Organizations (IPSO) will be implemented under the auspices of the Institutes of CAs in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia. A limited number of organizations in industry and government will be approved by these Institutes as qualified to provide CA students with a portion of their required professional experience.

Approved Training Offices in public practice (ATOs) and Industry, Public Sector and Other Organizations Approved Training Offices (IPSO-ATOs) must comply with the CA profession's high standards. An ATO and IPSO-ATO must also have a client base and service mix that will enable students to meet their public accounting experience requirements - gaining valuable exposure to the broad areas of accounting and reinforcing the concepts learned in CASB modules while developing the competencies demanded of a new Chartered Accountant.

CASB students have the option of choosing to complete the practical experience requirement of the CASB program entirely in public practice or in a combination of public practice and training outside public practice. There will always be a public practice component within the CASB program, however, under the IPSO project, a maximum of 1/3 of a student's practical experience time (10 of the required 30 months) will be acknowledged as meeting the practical experience portion of a student's CASB program. For more information on the practical experience requirements contact the Registration Centre.

in*10*se
10-24-2006, 02:04 PM
^^ hope that helps chim.