PDA

View Full Version : Please help: how to program HomeLink?!

keroppi
10-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Hi all, need help on HomeLink:

I read the instructions from BMW manual as well as the document from homelink website... they're slightly different, but anyway, I'd tried both and still no success :(
I read about that Canadian garage opener remote would not transmit signal continuously but only up to a second or two... so I also tried to keep pressing-releasing-pressing the remote for the HomeLink button to learn but still couldn't get the thing work... please help, anyone?

thx

codepoet101
10-24-2006, 01:42 PM
what exactly have you tired?

tylere
10-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Yes, Canadian devices require different program instructions. Have you tried these steps?

Training in Canada
If programming a garage door opener or gate, it is advised to unplug the device during the "cycling" process to prevent possible motor burn-up.

During programming, your hand-held transmitter may automatically stop transmitting. Continue to press and hold the desired HomeLink button while you press and re-press (“cycle”) your hand-held transmitter every two seconds until the frequency signal has been learned. The indicator light will flash slowly and then rapidly after several seconds upon successful training. If necessary, follow steps 5-7 to complete the training for a rolling code device.

Retain the original transmitter of the RF device you are training for use in other vehicles as well as for future HomeLink training. It is also suggested that upon the sale of the vehicle, the trained HomeLink buttons be erased for security purposes. Refer to step 1 only.

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your mirror ) keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. During programming, your hand-held transmitter may automatically stop transmitting. Continue to press and hold the desired HomeLink button while you press and re-press (“cycle”) your hand-held transmitter every two seconds until the frequency signal has been learned. The indicator light will flash slowly and then rapidly after several seconds upon successful training. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.

If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.
6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.

Altezza
10-24-2006, 02:55 PM
In a nutshell from above:

1. Train your Homelink in the vehicle with your remote.
2. Train your garage door opener to accept the newly programmed Homelink.

Most new garage door openers are rolling code. As such, people will tend to stop after training the Homelink with the remote. You need to go one more step and have the garage opener trained to accept the newly programmed Homelink from the car.

keroppi
10-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the help... I think I had tried both procedures... but let me try again and see...

20incheyes
10-25-2006, 08:44 AM
Just call 1800 HOMELINK and you'll get someone to help you for free over the phone. The service is quick and avoids any homelink headaches.

rc2002
10-25-2006, 12:36 PM
I bet you're having trouble getting it to learn the code. Make sure to press the open button on your handheld every 2 seconds until the light starts flashing rapidly. Took me ages to get it to work.

HRD2PLZ
10-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Programming the rolling code into our cars was such a pain in the butt... I finally gave up and just use the remote for the garage door...

keroppi
10-26-2006, 11:29 PM
yeah, i think i couldn't even get the 'learning from remote' part working yet... i tried to press the remote button every 2 seconds while keep holding one of the homelink buttons to learn... but the LED still only flashed slowly and eventually it went off! (I guess it's probably timed out)

Well, I guess I will have to try calling 1800homelink... :(