PDA

View Full Version : Petroleum Land Contract & administration

Nav13
10-24-2006, 08:42 PM
I decided that i want to take this course at mrc in jan. I just made this thread to see if anyone on here has taken this course and their thoughts about it. Was it easy for you to get a job after you finished this course. Also what are your opinions for this field of work. Any pro's or cons. Any coments would be greatly appreciated.

JWL
10-25-2006, 08:27 AM
I didn't take the MRC course but I did take the PLM course at the UofC and I took a couple of SAIT courses as a refresher. I've heard a lot of good things about the MRC program, but have you considered taking the SAIT program? I heard it was shorter.

Anyway, it would be ideal if you have some O&G experience just to get your foot in the door and they would probably pay for your courses as well (just a thought).

Pros and cons... Hmmmmm... well, I think it would be easy for a new grad to find a job since there is a shortage of Land Administrators. It's a matter of finding the right company to work with. I would recommend starting with a bigger company as you will have more guidance/mentoring. Once you get that, definately go with a smaller company. It's more personable, more diversity in the job, and of course stock options! :) The cons to this job is there is lot of reading. Lots of contracts, leases, etc.... So, it's kinda boring.:zzz: Oh, and if you work in Minerals... they basically say, if you lose a lease, you lose your job. :P

Hope this helps. PM me if you have anymore questions.

Crymson
10-25-2006, 12:57 PM
I would suggest getting good grades, that's the first thing looked at when you apply for a summer student position, and if you've got a lot of <3.0 courses, and a few withdrawls, you're seen as a slacker. Only after having good grades will your cover letter even be read.

Also, having ANY O&G experience makes you stand out, only about 1 in 10 applications do, and it may get your foot into an interview room if you have a sub 3.0 gpa.

dericer
10-25-2006, 01:04 PM
I would also recommend taking as many computer application courses as possible.

The better you are at navigating the land systems, the easier it will to advance in the company, and get more complex roles.

These old timers running the show have trouble using email, let alone ETS / DDS submissions etc.

:thumbsup:

Nav13
10-25-2006, 09:05 PM
thanks for your guys coments. just another question. do you know how much these jobs pay? what the starting out pay is and what i should expect to advance to?

dericer
10-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Nav13
thanks for your guys coments. just another question. do you know how much these jobs pay? what the starting out pay is and what i should expect to advance to?

Brokers = 30k - 35k starting to about 40k - 50k in 3 years

In house= 35k - 40k to about 45k to 50k in 3 years

After 3 years it's up to you how much / how hard you wanna work.

Go consulting and stress the hell outta yourself for upto 100k a year but get about 7-10 years under your belt first IMO

Crymson
10-25-2006, 10:27 PM
I think that the way wages are going now, and if you hooked up out of college with a large canadian indepented o&g producer, you'd be starting at around 50-60K in about 3 years. Starting wage now is probably around 45k. This would be for a mineral rights negotiator/landman postion. You could easily be over 100k within 8 years with bonuses.

googe
10-25-2006, 10:40 PM
also youll probably be looking into something else after 3 years because that much paper pushing is painfully boring ;)