PDA

View Full Version : Got diesel? (FREE "GAS")

Palmiros
10-25-2006, 06:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOGIh3yRltE

McDonald's here I come!!

Honda_002
10-25-2006, 07:04 PM
wow, now if only i have a deisel

Dren
10-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Honda_002
wow, now if only i have a deisel

I can see it now:

WTB: Cheap Diesel car.

:D

Palmiros
10-25-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Dren

I can see it now:

WTB: Cheap Diesel car.

:D

Damn right.
Preferrably a halfton, that way i can hit two birds with one stone. I can, pickup halfton of vegetable oil from all around the fastfoods in the city, and get a reliable *cheap on "gas"* truck at the same time.

tictactoe2004
10-25-2006, 09:16 PM
I met a guy a year or two ago that had a kit on his jetta.. it was probably a 90-92 jetta diesel.. He ordered it online and installed it - it consisted of a seperate tank that was fit into his trunk with a heater run off the coolant from the vehicle and a switch in the car that could go from diesel to used oil. He said the only problem with it in calgary was the temp. because it gets too thick and gunky sitting in the fuel lines in the winter..

so basically you had to start the car with diesel.. once your car got warm it would start to heat the extra oil tank in the trunk.. a light would come on in the car telling you that you were at a good enough temp to switch - you flip the switch and bam your on used deep fryer oil and it ran 100% the same...

nismodrifter
10-25-2006, 09:20 PM
old news.....:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Google "Rudolf Diesel vegetable oil" and you will see that this is nothing new.....more like 100+ years old.

Xtrema
10-25-2006, 09:29 PM
The question is, how smooth you engine is going to be in 3-5 years without any repair work.

forkdork
10-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Unheated vegetable oil = way more viscous than diesel = excessive stress on the injection pump which will cost you like 1000 to rebuild.

Heated vegetable oil is still more viscous than D2 so either way you are not doing anything good for your engine.

Dont bother running it in any modern engine either because they pump the fuel at 2000 bar, vegetable oil is way to thick to be pumped at such high pressures.

Also if your vegetable oil combines with regular diesel then you get waxing which can and will clog up fuel filters, fuel lines, the injection pump, and injectors.

Vegetable Oil can also cause the polymerization of engine oil = which will make the oil excessively thick and gooey and clog up alot of crap.

Plus you have to filter the shit like crazy and dewater it which is just a total pain in the ass.

Its not worth it.

Zero102
10-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Get an old diesel truck, or an older MB diesel. They take SVO/WVO very well, and are nice and cheap to buy as well.
People have been doing these conversions for years.

Weed
10-26-2006, 04:08 PM
They had a setup on Trucks! on spike that used veg oil mixed with racing methanol and lye. ran it in brand new dodge truck. no changes to truck at all. They said can be mixed with diesel in any amount you want. They just dumped crap into tank mixed in lye and methanol and syphoned off the byproduct leaving biodiesel.

Site explains 10 steps better than i do.
http://www.biodieselsolutions.com

Zero102
10-28-2006, 01:29 AM
Wow, it is so far from just oil methanol and lye.... please don't spread misinformation.

Palmiros
10-28-2006, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
Wow, it is so far from just oil methanol and lye.... please don't spread misinformation.

Are you saying you don't believe this?
If you told me about the used cooking oil, before i saw the video, I would'ev said no way. How do you know that won't work?

Zero102
10-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Because I'm not dumb. There is this product called Biodiesel, it is made with oil, methanol and lye. You blend the methanol and lye to create something they call methoxide (it's not real methoxide, but it performs the same function), then combine it with the heated oil and stir for ~20 minutes. Then you allow the glycerin to seperate out, take the top part and wash it 2-3 times to remove the rest of the contaminants, then filter it and use it as biodiesel. Of course, you do things like PH testing and checking for water and other impurities along the way.

That is how I know it won't work. If you put that shit all in your fuel tank it will mess your engine up bad.
One of my cars is a diesel, and I know a lot about this stuff.

barbarian
10-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Watch out for which used fryer oils you use--McDonald's fryer oil is solid at Room temperature even, whereas some of the other chains use oils that are liquid at room temperature.

Zero102
10-29-2006, 08:57 PM
It doesn't matter if the oil is solid at room temperature. Once transesterfication has taken place, the resulting biodiesel will share very few of the original oil's physical properties. Biodiesel made from thicker oils (like chicken grease) is marginally thicker than that made from canola or soy oils, and gels at a slightly higher temperature, but it is by no means solid at room temperature.
The only time that it matters whether the oil is solid at room temperature or not is when you decide what temperature to heat the oil to before making it into biodiesel.