PDA

View Full Version : Calculus (MATH 249) Tutor

inline6turbo
10-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Anyone taking 249, or 219 Calculus whos good at it?

I'm looking for a tutor or maybe a study group:)

chris
10-25-2006, 11:42 PM
is this the equivalent to 251? the renert center does tutoring, it think it's free but i could be wrong. edit: looks like it's like $800 a semester. i COULD do tutoring for very cheap (like free), I have a lot of free time right now, hahah, shoot me a pm if you want. but to be honest with you, your ta should help you out with wat ever you need

msommers
10-25-2006, 11:43 PM
I'm in 249 dude. What seems to be the issue? I'm not an expert but I've been doing really well on all the quizzes so far. Shoot me a PM if your stuck and I'll try to help you out.

Who's your prof? I've also gone to those continuous tutorial deals, they actually arn't bad

inline6turbo
10-26-2006, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by msommers
I'm in 249 dude. What seems to be the issue? I'm not an expert but I've been doing really well on all the quizzes so far. Shoot me a PM if your stuck and I'll try to help you out.

Who's your prof? I've also gone to those continuous tutorial deals, they actually arn't bad

ya see my problem is i cant make it to the CC courses, i have classes T,R at 530-9, so im shit outta luck!

willing to arrange some kinda group study?
if so pm me your email or number and we can hook it up
im with ling on MWF 3-4, i think he's an awesome teacher!
:thumbsup:

AsianCaucasian
10-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by inline6turbo

ya see my problem is i cant make it to the CC courses, i have classes T,R at 530-9, so im shit outta luck!

willing to arrange some kinda group study?
if so pm me your email or number and we can hook it up
im with ling on MWF 3-4, i think he's an awesome teacher!
:thumbsup:

I'll give you a HUGE tip for ling. All his quizzes are 8 multiple choice questions and they ALWAYS contain 2 A's, 2 B's, 2 C's and two D's. I wouldn't have passed 249 if it wasn't for that lol. Even his final has 8 of each letter.

Murphy
10-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian

I'll give you a HUGE tip for ling. All his quizzes are 8 multiple choice questions and they ALWAYS contain 2 A's, 2 B's, 2 C's and two D's. I wouldn't have passed 249 if it wasn't for that lol. Even his final has 8 of each letter.

What if he changed it! I have Ling as well, and we do all our shit on webwork now. He said his final is going to be written this semester ... Fuck me ... :guns:

chris
10-26-2006, 02:09 PM
What are you guys finding hard about this course? If you're having issues why not go to your scheduled tutorials and ask a shit load of questions? Most TA's are willing to help you out until you completely understand a concept

inline6turbo
10-26-2006, 02:10 PM
ya all are quizzes are written work over webowork, not multiple choice, so is the final
i wish that was true though!

AsianCaucasian
10-26-2006, 03:18 PM
ya all are quizzes are written work over webowork, not multiple choice, so is the final
i wish that was true though!

Ouch, that's too bad. Written final is just brutal.

chris
10-26-2006, 06:52 PM

Ouch, that's too bad. Written final is just brutal.
are you retarded? they are usually like 8 questions long and the easiest things ever. My prof gave us a written final for 251 and the class average was ~75-80. The only thing bad about them is that they take a long time to mark and most profs hate doing them.

Schwa
10-26-2006, 07:10 PM
If you are serious about finding a "real" tutor, my company can help you. We charge $35/hr though, send me a PM.

AsianCaucasian
10-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by chris

are you retarded? they are usually like 8 questions long and the easiest things ever. My prof gave us a written final for 251 and the class average was ~75-80. The only thing bad about them is that they take a long time to mark and most profs hate doing them.

Yes. Yes I am. I've always found MC math questions easier. :dunno:

chris
10-26-2006, 09:08 PM

Yes. Yes I am. I've always found MC math questions easier. :dunno:
hahaha, i guess i was a little harsh, but basically they are usually the same questions just one you have the potential to at least get partial marks if you screw up on one step of the problem. I didn't realise so many people had problems with this course though

inline6turbo
10-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Schwa
If you are serious about finding a "real" tutor, my company can help you. We charge $35/hr though, send me a PM.

no way in hell im paying more then twice what i make an hour for that, id be broke instantly. but thanks anyways

msommers
10-26-2006, 10:35 PM
At school, we have "real" tutors included in our tuition fee that are pursuing PhD degrees. Thanks for coming out. Inline I PM'ed you.

inline6turbo
10-26-2006, 10:44 PM
At school, we have "real" tutors included in our tuition fee that are pursuing PhD degrees. Thanks for coming out. Inline I PM'ed you.

got it! thanks... replied!

mo_money2supe
10-26-2006, 10:49 PM

no way in hell im paying more then twice what i make an hour for that, id be broke instantly. but thanks anyways

You'd be surprised at what a properly trained tutor can do for you, albeit it takes a hit out of your pockets. I used to privately tutor math and science and I was able to ask $30/hr. At one point, I was working 20-30 hours/week in tutoring on TOP of my 45 hour/week at a full time job.

chris
10-26-2006, 11:00 PM
exactly, ask your ta, they can and will answer all of your questions. That is what they are there for, there is no need to get extra tutoring.

inline6turbo
10-26-2006, 11:58 PM
my ta is a complete idiot who cant see two feet in front of him and makes everything more confusing for me

i know i need extra tutoring and theres nothing wrong with that

mard
10-27-2006, 12:08 AM
hey im in lings class too on mwf 3-4

sh0ko
10-29-2006, 02:15 PM
if u guys cant figure out a question now and then feel free to pm me it ill do w/e i can to help u out or ask my buddy who got a 4.0 in amat 217 and 219 for help just let me know!

otherwise 249 = joke compared to other calc courses

inline6turbo
10-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by mard
hey im in lings class too on mwf 3-4

ha youre in my class

Schwa
10-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Just because you are pursuing a Ph.D does not mean you are good at teaching or communicating. A lot of Ph.D students haven't done first year courses in so long they tend to overcomplicate matters.

Good luck w/ ur calculus no matter what.

msommers
10-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Schwa
Just because you are pursuing a Ph.D does not mean you are good at teaching or communicating. A lot of Ph.D students haven't done first year courses in so long they tend to overcomplicate matters.

Good luck w/ ur calculus no matter what.

I can agree with that but the grad students that have helped me out and ,my TA is excellent so it's hard to have evidence of this happening, although I'm sure it does. Thanks though!

Murphy
11-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Futhermore, Ling is not awarding part marks on the midterm and I assume the final. You either get the written question right ... or you get it wrong! :eek: :thumbsdow :banghead: :barf:

rc2002
11-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Tutors are useless. You learn the material way better if you learn it yourself. Reading the textbook is the best way IMO. That way you don't have to shell out money. $25-$30/hour adds up fast.

toyboy88
11-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Tutors are useless. You learn the material way better if you learn it yourself. Reading the textbook is the best way IMO. That way you don't have to shell out money. $25-$30/hour adds up fast.

more like $40/hr nowadays after checking around town :cry: