PDA

View Full Version : What do people think of the Corolla?

happydude
10-26-2006, 10:27 AM
My brother is looking at getting just a cheap, reliable car in the next couple weeks here. He went to Toyota and thought the Corolla was a decent car for a good price, liking it more than the Yaris. Just wondering what 'reviews' or info people can give me on the Corolla as a car in general, how it's performed and how Totyota is about warranty work and what not.

And if not a Corolla, any suggestions on alternatives? He's looking to spend between probably 15-18ish and is not looking for anything fancy or used.

Also, I know googe had a thread awhile ago about Country Hills Toyota sucking goat balls, so which is a good dealership to go to?

Pihsiak
10-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Andy, my family has 4 corollas and a celcia for a reason.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/Neo88/kai/Lance.jpg

Sprinter
10-26-2006, 10:43 AM
:werd:

TOYOTA FTW :burnout:

My uncle owns a 2004 Toyota Corolla, it drives great ... The Sienna has been with the family for almost 7 years now and has always been reliable/dependable

HRD2PLZ
10-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Sprinter

TOYOTA FTW :burnout:

I bought my 4Runner from Heninger, the guy I bought my truck from was kind of an idiot, but the rest of the purchase experience was great :thumbsup:

My sister bought her Celica from Canyon Creek. We've had nothing but good experiences with them as well.

Xtrema
10-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by happydude
He's looking to spend between probably 15-18ish and is not looking for anything fancy or used.

15-18ish out the door? or just MSRP?

After tax and freight, there's no way you can get a new Corolla under $20K.

Heninger gets my vote if you need a Toyota.

happydude
10-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
Andy, my family has 4 corollas and a celcia for a reason.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/Neo88/kai/Lance.jpg

Lance's endorsement is all I need :bigpimp:

I believe the 15-18k is MSRP, not out the door

benyl
10-26-2006, 11:17 AM
A friend of mine just bought a corolla and paid over $23K for it.

I don't know if you can even get a civic anymore for $15K-$18K

Hanzo
10-26-2006, 11:46 AM
^^ nope... i got mine for 28k and it's not even a SI...

happydude
10-28-2006, 08:35 AM
I was checking out various websites and noticed that VW has the City Golf (starting around 15k) and the City Jetta (starting around 17k). Any thoughts on those?

iceburns288
10-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Would buying a 2004 or 2005 model really kill your brother? No offense, but it seems his expectations are a bit high for that price range. It's hard enough to find a decent car to buy for 15kUS.

dkny
10-28-2006, 01:49 PM
A new model for Corolla is coming if you can wait. The new model might have ABS and 5 speed automatic included as standard or available option (something to match civic). Currently ABS is included only in the LE version and is over 23K$ and 4 speeds auto is the only auto trans choice.

MrPid
10-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Nice well made compact - good value for the money.

The only thing I've ever noticed is that it seems that the guys who get the sportier models seem to think they bought a Formula car by the way they drive. Go figure...:dunno:

sexualbanana
10-28-2006, 04:56 PM
It was an alright car when I test drove one a couple months ago. Given the price range I had, it felt a little too cheap and gutless for my taste.

BUT if your brother is looking for a car to get from A to B without any extras, I think it's probably the best car in his price range.

Annoyingrob
10-28-2006, 05:00 PM
If you're brother's looking for a corolla, my buddy is selling his 02 Corolla CE 5sp fully loaded with <100k for $12.

Hash_man
10-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Corolla is a pretty good car, but like others said for the money I dont know if he'll be able to get into one... What about the Honda Fit? Definately fits in that price range.

yellowsnow
10-28-2006, 06:35 PM
I'm a big fan of the new honda fit.. sit in one, and it's pretty roomy in there! although it is more gutless than the corolla..

DoubleLP
10-28-2006, 08:53 PM
I have an '03 Matrix XRS...which is basically a Corolla in a "wagon" form. And I have had no trouble with the car. Definintely worth it in my opinion.

Graham_A_M
10-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Reliable: and bland. About as exciting to drive as a travel van.
WHen I think of a "Well made boring transportation appliance" The corolla is the first thing that pops into my mind: or whoever I've ever asked that question to.

Xtrema
10-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by happydude
I was checking out various websites and noticed that VW has the City Golf (starting around 15k) and the City Jetta (starting around 17k). Any thoughts on those?

Shity Golf and Shity Jetta are bascially last gen models made out of Mexico. I won't touch them.

If you're looking for a $15-$18K MSRP, new with warranties I would try:

Mitsu Lancer (5/10 year warranty)
- a bit old style but good warranty on a Japanese model.

Hyundai Elantra/Accent (5/5 years warranty)
- Hyundai are still behind on engine sophistication, but everything else is on par. You get more car for the same price Japanese

Toyota Yaris/Corolla (3/5 years warranty)
- good old reliable if a bit boring

Honda Fit/Civic (3/5 years warranty)
- You can barely get a base Civic for this price range. Both are good cars.

Nissan Versa/Sentra (3/5 years warranty)
- Versa is good if you can get over it's Renault styling. Sentra is a mini-Altima, but I would pick this if you find Civic dual dash wierd and Mazda 3 is cramped.

dino_martini
10-29-2006, 10:35 PM
I personally dont really like the Corolla, but that is just my personal opinion. For 15-18ish I would look:

Kia Rio/Rio5 - starts at 15 for the Rio Convienance which is the well equipped model. Kia is a fairly good quality car maker. You get alot of car for the money. Its not exactly the coolest, but its possibly the best priced/equipped car of the "compact" market.

Dodge Caliber - The base SE starts at 15, and the SXT is around 18. Unfortunaly the Caliber with some "pep" and awd is 23k.

Mazda 3 - the base sedan starts at 16. Good looking car, nice interior.

Saturn Ion - If your into that kind of thing. Starts around 15, not exactly the best looking car, or the best pick of the group.

I personally would look into the Toyota Matrix. I know he doesnt want used, but you can pick up a slightly used one for around 16 - 19ish which isnt bad really. As for Toyota dealer, I would go to Henninger or Canyon Creek. Henninger is a really good dealer.

Graham_A_M
10-29-2006, 10:58 PM
I have a 1999 Saturn SL2 for my winter car... it handles obsurdly well for an economy car.. and I JUST found out this weekend; that it gets 40 mpg on the highway. Thats confirmed NO BS!
its now 8 years old, hasn't ever (EVER) broke down.. and has 252k and still drives like a top. For a $5k car... beat THAT