PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Cayman... What are your toughts?

ICEBERG
10-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Hi guy's

My wifes brother just sold his Mini Cooper S. He wants to buy the new Cayman now. He priced out the Non S model and come to $76,000 with black color exterior and 19" wheel package,Xenon lights ect...

Anyways, what do you guys think about the new cayman? He asked me for my opinion but i am not too fimiliar with the Cayman. Is there a big difference between the S and the Non S models? I think he told me the S model he priced out came to $92,000. Isn't this basically an Boxster with a hard top? Would this be a good car to buy at this price range? Can he get a better car for 76K?

Any info would be great...

thanks,

max_boost
10-27-2006, 04:34 PM
A better car in terms of what?
Performance? Hell yah he can get a better car but a Porsche is a Porsche and it's so focking expensive haha

I contemplated the exact same thing, ended up going with the SLK instead.

Here's a comparison M Coupe vs CAyman S
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=117041

Review of the Cayman S. It is no Boxster
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=109089

The base Cayman just doesn't have enough power to do it for me.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=116324

I would take a serious look at the M Coupe and it's 300+HP and sexy design first.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=115741

herragge
10-27-2006, 11:00 PM
I would also serioulsy consider the BMW M Coupe. The Z4 on its own is a beautiful BMW; cannot be argued. With the M3's engine and suspension/handling/brakes it is an extremely good car. I would go over the Porscha non S any day. For the S cayman however I think they are both equally paired...If you want name, get the Porsche.

However the cayman will always be in teh 911's shadow. If hes not looking for that raw of a car, and can live with the cayman's rather intermediate placement in Porsche's model lineup over the Boxster and below the 911, then I think it would be a great choice.

Wouldn't get the benz. Service/Quality is improving with the brand but I still believe they are heavily being lifted by their reputation imo.

Mike

soloracer
10-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Or just buy a Cayman S in the states and save $20,000 over buying it here. If you do that you would have the Cayman S for the price of a regular old Cayman.

ICEBERG
10-28-2006, 08:53 AM
I think he already looked at the new M Coupe at BMW Gallery where he bought his mini from. He is not too sure on the looks of the new Coupe. I personally would jump all over M coupe rather than the non cayman S after reading the reviews that Max_Boost posted. But than again it is his money.

iceburns288
10-28-2006, 09:06 AM
M Coupe over Cayman any day. M Coupe over Cayman S? That's a much tougher decision. I personally would not own a Cayman, just like I wouldn't own a Boxster. I'd love to rock the S versions of either car though.

dino_martini
10-29-2006, 10:46 PM
I like the Cayman S, I really truly do. *To quote Jeremy Clarkson* The only reason you would buy a Boxster is you dont have the money for a 911.

But, if he wants a Cayman buy one. It is a seriously good looking car. :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
10-30-2006, 10:01 AM
I would not buy a Cayman unless it is an S because they really aren't all that impressive with such low HP in my opinion. The rest of the car is set up so well its a shame to have one with low HP. I've driven the Cayman S and I liked it quite a bit, but sometimes it made that small "pressure throbbing" sound/feeling as if a window was down a bit (no windows were down). I don't know if this was a problem with our individual car or not. Also, we drive a Carrera right after and immediately liked it better but it's in a whole new price bracket unfortunately.

The BMW Z4 M is a pretty outstanding car and would for me anyways be the obvious choice over the porsche non S cayman. Even when pitted against the Cayman S, the magazines would only take the Cayman S if the budget allowed for it as the BMW is so close to it. I''ve driven the M3 many times (never the Z 4 M though, but same motor) and its pretty damn impressive. The Porsche Cayman (non-S) would still have amazing handling and everything it just isn't very fast. For $76,000 you should be able to have more than enough power and handling and everything else IMO and you can get that in the Z 4 M. The Cayman S didn't even feel overly fast at all so I think the non S would feel pretty average compared to other $76,000 cars such as the Z 4 M.

S or not the cayman is a really, really good car I just think you can do better for $76,000 because alot of that is paying for the Porsche name. I would also look at a SLK 55 AMG (not sure on their pricing though but I think its right around $75k,000.

dino_martini
10-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I would also look at a SLK 55 AMG (not sure on their pricing though but I think its right around $75k,000.

The SLK 55 AMG with the supercharged v-8 starts around 85,500 Canadian. :eek:

E36M3
10-30-2006, 03:22 PM
I think it would be a great progression from a Mini Cooper S. It is lightweight, with great braking and handling. It is disappointing in the power department, but will be a huge improvement over the Cooper S.. I often wish that I would have taken power jumps in smaller increments.

treg50
10-30-2006, 03:54 PM
If you want classy and cutesy hell yeah, the Cooper S is loaded with cuteness. I'd suggest the Corvette Z06 ($89,000) for absolutely the best performance value in that price range hands down. Black or silver would be his colours. Also, 2008 Audi TT, not sure what the exact price is, 2007 Lexus SC 430 Pebble Beach Edition, only $93,500.

me&you
10-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by treg50
If you want classy and cutesy hell yeah, the Cooper S is loaded with cuteness. I'd suggest the Corvette Z06 ($89,000) for absolutely the best performance value in that price range hands down. Black or silver would be his colours. Also, 2008 Audi TT, not sure what the exact price is, 2007 Lexus SC 430 Pebble Beach Edition, only $93,500.

Pebble Beach Edition was a 2006.

max_boost
10-30-2006, 04:36 PM
SLK55 is naturally aspirated. Retractable hardtop is awesome. This car is a beast. You won't be disappointed. $93k out the door new OR you can buy a used one.

Silver 06 w/23,000kms $70K+tax (Regina)
Black 06 w/11,000kms $77K+tax (Vancouver)

SLK is due for a mid cycle update and should be available with even more power. 6.3L? :eek:

ICEBERG
10-31-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by soloracer
Or just buy a Cayman S in the states and save $20,000 over buying it here. If you do that you would have the Cayman S for the price of a regular old Cayman.

If you buy one in the states, can you bring it over here? If you can, what is involed or the process? Is there any duty on it?

iceburns288
10-31-2006, 03:35 PM
The SLK350 is also a very nice car. No V8, but it's got a smooth 270hp (I think, might be 250-260hp) V6 and is available with a 6-speed. Of course, you still get the slick roof:drool:

Orbie
10-31-2006, 03:57 PM
I personally love the Cayman S, one of the best looking cars made IMHO. But for the prices they sell for in Canada, there are many other arguably better cars to buy. If you are looking at Sport Coupes in this range, I would sooner look at a Corvette even though they are common and I'm not a fan of domestics. At that price point really you are buying the badge. I would probably stray over to the RS4 over a loaded Cayman S, the car is just not worth $90,000+. Now on the other hand if you simply have to have the car, I would import it from the states. As mentioned before the S can be had over there for the price of a vanilla Cayman here (which is pretty ridiculous IMO).

Xtrema
10-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Did he buy Mini S because it's all he can afford or he actually likes?

High price sport car sucks @ retaining value. Like those 645ci, you can pratically get them at 1/2 price after a few years. (That's about $20K depreciation/year)

soloracer
10-31-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG

If you buy one in the states, can you bring it over here? If you can, what is involed or the process? Is there any duty on it?

You have to confirm with RIV that it is allowed here - and I'm 99.99% sure it is - and from there it's a really simple process. The speedo will have to read in KM but I think that the Cayman is digital so no problem. If the 911 can be brought in I imagine the Cayman can too. Yes there are taxes, and yes there is GST to pay but even after all that you will save $20,000. I think the Cayman S is something like high $50's US so there is a long ways to go to get up to $90K Canadian.

Mitsu3000gt
10-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG

You will have to pay GST (6%), Duty (6.1%) and shipping if you don't drive it up. Also I think A/C tax which is like $100 I believe.

The Cayman S has both a digital and analog speedo, so you could likely change the digital one over to KM. I drove a car only in MPH for a couple years and you get used to it super fast.

You can buy most cars out of the states for many thousands less than canadian ones. Especially the higher end ones. Alot of people just don't want the hassle of doing so, which isn't that bad. I would look into it for sure before making your decision.

me&you
11-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Did he buy Mini S because it's all he can afford or he actually likes?

High price sport car sucks @ retaining value. Like those 645ci, you can pratically get them at 1/2 price after a few years. (That's about $20K depreciation/year)

Please find me these 2004 645s at $50k... I'll buy ten.

Edit: You are partially right; just chose a poor example. The worst depreciators are very high-end sedans... at least after they lose their initial lustre (ie S65s were sooooo hot when they came out but it's amazing what they're worth now!)

M.alex
11-01-2006, 01:27 PM
I will never own another Porsche (911) again.

Is it fast - decently so (unless it's a GT3 or TT :D )
Does it handle well - yes
Does it look good - yes

So what's the problem? - for me it was 2 told - they're so common, anybody with 5cents to rub together has one, and it gets boring to drive after a few years - the thrill just rubs off.

Same problem w/ the M3 (or so I'd imagine; I wasn't impressed with it on my test drive at the auto mall)

You can say that about any mass manufactured car.

Once I got into the world of kit cars - Ultima GT-R, FF5 Cobra, etc... I realized I'd never, for play toys, return to mass manufactured vehicles again - they just don't have the same thrill.

For example, with a MK3 cobra (what I'm building :D ), 2000lbs, 600hp. Looks like sex on wheels. Can out-run an Enzo (except in turns :D ) and looks pimp doing it. What more can you ask for 60k?

Even my boss who collects exotics has been intrigued by what I've shown him - so anyways, for me, rather than buy 1 expensive fun toy, it's buy 1 relatively cheap fun toy (e.g., a used 350z for daily use), then build 1 HELL of a fun toy with the remaining money :devil:

QuasarCav
11-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
I will never own another Porsche (911) again.

Is it fast - decently so (unless it's a GT3 or TT :D )
Does it handle well - yes
Does it look good - yes

So what's the problem? - for me it was 2 told - they're so common, anybody with 5cents to rub together has one, and it gets boring to drive after a few years - the thrill just rubs off.

Same problem w/ the M3 (or so I'd imagine; I wasn't impressed with it on my test drive at the auto mall)

You can say that about any mass manufactured car.

Once I got into the world of kit cars - Ultima GT-R, FF5 Cobra, etc... I realized I'd never, for play toys, return to mass manufactured vehicles again - they just don't have the same thrill.

For example, with a MK3 cobra (what I'm building :D ), 2000lbs, 600hp. Looks like sex on wheels. Can out-run an Enzo (except in turns :D ) and looks pimp doing it. What more can you ask for 60k?

Even my boss who collects exotics has been intrigued by what I've shown him - so anyways, for me, rather than buy 1 expensive fun toy, it's buy 1 relatively cheap fun toy (e.g., a used 350z for daily use), then build 1 HELL of a fun toy with the remaining money :devil:

I knew you would be back 99Atlantic.

M.alex
11-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

I knew you would be back 99Atlantic.

I learned my lesson last time about....erm....'questioning' ( ;) ) people's choices of modding certain cars :angel:

PremiereImports
11-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by me&you

Edit: You are partially right; just chose a poor example. The worst depreciators are very high-end sedans... at least after they lose their initial lustre (ie S65s were sooooo hot when they came out but it's amazing what they're worth now!)

Tell you what...I can the 645s at 45,000 US all day long. If you still want to buy 10 send me an email.

Xtrema
11-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by me&you

Tell you what, I know a guy has has a 04 645ci with 5000km on it. Sick of it and offering it for $70K because dealer is only giving him $67K. That car is $120K + Tax NEW, if that ain't 1/2 price, I don't know what is.

Dealer of course turn around selling it for $80-$90K. But how many people are willing to drop $90K on a used car?