PDA

View Full Version : Car battery dies all the time!

BananaJaK
10-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Well iv been having this problem for a while now but cant figure it out. Every so often my battery will just die and my car will not start. Sometimes it will be weeks before it happens and sometimes just a few hours. I have an aftermarket stereo and alarm so im afraid if I bring it into mazda they will say its the stereo and nothing is covered. Im pretty sure its not the stereo because iv had it in the car almost a year and this has only started happening the last little while. This is getting very frustrating..i have called mazda roadside assistance atleast 5 times the last month to get my car boosted. Weird thing is how unpredicatable it is. I have gone a couple weeks without it happening and just today my car was parked for 8 hours and the battery was already dead. Any help or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance. Oh and this is an 06 Mazda3 GT.

_wrx_
10-29-2006, 12:38 PM
its probly the alternator! the job of the alternator is to charge the battery while the car is on so im guessing thats the problem?

BananaJaK
10-29-2006, 12:45 PM
well i have taken it to mazda the very first time this happened and of course they blamed it on my stereo...after further inspection though they said the alternator and battery were perfectly fine and I must of left something on.

_wrx_
10-29-2006, 12:48 PM
make sure your remote wire is working. the one that turns on the amp. from your deck. ur amp might still be running maybe thats what it is causing it to drain?

BananaJaK
10-29-2006, 12:53 PM
i was thinking that too..but then my battery would be dead all the time which isnt the case. Iv gone months without it dying..but sometimes it dies in a few hours. Maybe its only turning off my amp some of the time?

SilverBoost
10-29-2006, 01:24 PM
who installed your stereo?

Edit: Sorry you said you had it for a while before this happend, sorry.

Bring it in. If they try to not warranty anything because of an aftermarket stereo and alarm then go to a new dealership. Because that's bullshit.

I could understand if you had 4 amp racks in teh back and your backseats were gone because you had all your subs there, but a basic stereo install should not give you any problems with a dealer.

guessboi
10-29-2006, 01:26 PM
I had that happened to my aerio a couple years ago.
almost identical to what you are experiencing...I had a aftermarket stereo, immobilzer (starter kill)...etc.

anyways, my problem was the wiring in my immobilzer 11/2 years after which the dealer installed it when I bought the car. I checked with an alarm installer and my fix was to get rid of the immobilzer and installed an alarm instead.

so since your battery has been boosted so many times, the battery should be weaker and you might have to change it in the future especially for winter.

I replaced my alternator as well at the same time which was covered by warranty as it was not charging well for the battery.

so check your wiring and the alternator! it might be the wiring that is draining your battery when your car is parked. :thumbsup:

crazy_gt
10-30-2006, 05:26 AM
Same thing happened to my car last year. Changed the battery and the problem is gone.

bituerbo
10-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Clean batt terminals, ensure cables are seated tightly and securely on the terminals. Same thing that happened to you happened to me.

Although I'd recommend a new Batt also... whenever it's drained flat on more than one occasion it's pretty much time for a new one, and at $100 it's peace of mind through this cold winter!