PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive crash (and burn) x 2

creeper
10-30-2006, 10:37 AM
My original hard drive from my computer crashed, computer wouldn't run, ect. Got a new one, re-installed OS, was working perfectly for about a month. Turned in on one day, was at the blue screen of death. Was unable to fix it, and got a new hard drive. Is once again working fine. But for how long ...

What could be causing it to crash like this? I took it to a shop, where I have been before, and been happy with the service, and they could not determine any problem.

It's fine and working now, but I'm just woundering if anyone would have any ideas why this happened twice?

Thanks.

HK2NR
10-30-2006, 11:59 AM
I had a lot of HD deaths when I had a generic power supply. Got a decent Enermax and haven't had problems.

frostyda9
10-31-2006, 09:05 PM
If you have a generic PSU, get rid of it NOW.

If possible, try and leave the computer on 24/7, in standby mode when not in use.

edit: and make sure you have some fresh air being sucked in to the case over the HDD for some cooling! If you don't have a front intake it will get screaming hot.

bigbadboss101
10-31-2006, 11:33 PM
MY HP laptop HD went dead after 1.5 months. It's been 2 months, HP have not sent me one yet. Said they are discontinued.

Zero102
11-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Tons of things cause blue screens, not always a HD problem.
If it is giving you a HD error, then it is probably worth trying that drive in another computer to verify that it is actually bad. It could be the IDE/SATA controller on the motherboard.