PDA

View Full Version : Command start interferring with the lights

jimsi
10-30-2006, 01:08 PM
I have an 02 Caravan that had a Command Start brand remote starter installed from the dealer back when I bought it 5 years ago(I'll update the model if I find the manual or take a look under the dash). In the last month the dash and running lights have been acting up and dealer has blamed the command start. The unit has been turned off via the installed switch under the dash but the dealer still insists its the command start bc its still wired in and is the cause of the problem. The problem is that sometimes the dash and side marker lights turn on when I insert the key (no turning just inserting) and sometimes when I turn on the headlights a warning beep is given. Any idea at what I should look at first?

Thanks
Jim

Strugari
10-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Hi,
Check the hood switch, unplug the switch to make sure it is not grounding out. Even if the on/off switch is turned off, the hood switch still is operatable.

If the problem still persists, what I would do is unplug the command start module (ALL the plugs).

If the problem persists it is not in the remote start module.
Check the wire going to the park light wire in the Van. The park lights on the Caravan are a negative trigger through a resistor.Make sure it is properly taped up and unable to touch ground anywhere. :thumbsup:

This is a start anyway.

codepoet101
10-31-2006, 12:03 AM
tell them to fix it its a dealer car and its only 4 years old

Strugari
10-31-2006, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by codepoet101
tell them to fix it its a dealer car and its only 4 years old
Unfortunatly, most technicians will refuse to work on a vehicle with electrical concerns until all aftermarket additions are eliminated. By disconnecting the remote starte from the parklight circuit yourself, this will determine if the problem is car related, or command start related.
Most technicians do not understand the workings of an aftermarket remote start and can spend hours to determine the problem. These hours add up to CASH out of the customer's pocket.:cry: