PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys have any good article about winter driving to recommend?

sowen
10-30-2006, 03:50 PM
I am a newbie of driving, absolutely has only limited knowledge about vehicle. What shall I do in winter? (since it starts snowing all day here)

I have many naive questions, such as

1. My car is a new one with all season tires, and it's awd, do I need winter tires?
2. Besides -40 window washer fluid and snow brusher, what else do I need in winter? (if only in city)
3. what's that anti-freeze engine oil used for? do I need it or should I go to my dealer to install it?
4. other questions... not sure what I shall ask :D I am stupid.

Any recommendation is really appreciated.

rusich
10-30-2006, 08:16 PM
1. Definatelly yes to winter tires ( espesially since you are a new driver). It's one of those big things that will help you out in winter driving.
2. A pair of warm mittons and a winter hat, while brushing that show off your car.
3. Not really needed. Just plug your engine heater when it drops below -20C and stick to manufacturer's maitenace schedule.
4. Exercise caushion during winter and you should be fine.

P.S. Also, almost forgot, check your washer fluid regularly and top it up. It usually runs out when you need it the most.

whiskas
10-30-2006, 08:45 PM
If cost is a factor all seasons aren't too bad for a first year driver. If you're confident in your skills, and know how to counter steer you should be OK. I survived my first year of driving during winter with bald all seasons, no ABS, no traction control on a FWD car. Admittedly I did have some "oh shit" moments but I got through them without problems.

Your car probably has ABS and traction control and since it has 4WD I would say stick with all seasons tires unless you're going to be frequently going on roads that aren't salted/sanded or infrequently travelled on.

If you keep your car outside invest in a good snow brush.

dino_martini
10-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Before it snows bring your snow brush into the house and then in the morning you can just go and brush the car off. You dont have to get snow in side you car when you open the door.

sowen
10-31-2006, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by whiskas
If cost is a factor all seasons aren't too bad for a first year driver. If you're confident in your skills, and know how to counter steer you should be OK. I survived my first year of driving during winter with bald all seasons, no ABS, no traction control on a FWD car. Admittedly I did have some "oh shit" moments but I got through them without problems.

Your car probably has ABS and traction control and since it has 4WD I would say stick with all seasons tires unless you're going to be frequently going on roads that aren't salted/sanded or infrequently travelled on.

If you keep your car outside invest in a good snow brush.

yup, my driving coach told me the same that if I have ABS I don't really need snow tires. I just want to seek more expert's opinions

the snow here isn't too bad yet, so I guess I will just wait. and now I probably need to check my washer fluid, I don't know, I only drove a little more than 300 km so far....

bspot
10-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by sowen

yup, my driving coach told me the same that if I have ABS I don't really need snow tires.

Thats BS. Unless you're driving a 6000lbs vehicle you need winter tires if you want to have decent stopping distances is crappy conditions.

adam c
10-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by sowen

yup, my driving coach told me the same that if I have ABS I don't really need snow tires. I just want to seek more expert's opinions

i dont know what hes smoking.. my first car had ABS and i had brand new all seasons.. well coming to an intersection i almost ran 2 people over that were on the otherside of the road..

don't listen to that stupid crap.. get winter tires and dont depend on ur cars features, rely on the feature on ur neck

BlueFrenzy
10-31-2006, 06:33 PM
Don't forget to inflate the winter tires to the correct pressure. My summer tires are running 32psi and for winters I'm running roughly 36psi. I think the general rule of thumb is to add 4psi to your summer pressure. Look in the manual for your car, they usually suggest a winter pressure.

Some people carry kitty litter in the trunk to give a little more weight but also to use for traction incase you get stuck in a snow bank or ice patch.

slammed_cb7
10-31-2006, 07:04 PM
I would recomend some cheap winters, good ones if you can afford it, but lots of us are on a budget Winter tires are a big help, just don't drive like you have em. People think that with winter tires, they can still drive on solid ice like its warm pavement, not smart!

GTS Jeff
10-31-2006, 07:07 PM
1. Get winter tires
2. You don't need mittens unless you're a woman
3. Drive slower.

black_radiation
11-01-2006, 12:18 PM
hahahahah I lol'd at

2. You don't need mittens unless you're a woman

:werd:

p.s. if you drive a truck and have mud tires... get rid of them for the winter and switch to either a winter tire or at worst a all terrain tire and if thats not an option make sure u get ur mud tires syped(sp?) its either syped or siped i cant remember how to spell it, but they put little cuts in the treads of your mud tires to give u better traction, i didnt put my winters on my truck and when 37" mud terrains hit a small patch of ice watch out lol, EVEN when your doing like 5km/h when it snowed first thing in the morning sunday i was leavin my house reallllly slow and i was turning left onto a street that hadn't been driven on yet and i ended up sliding straight sideways into the curb.... learned my lesson and put my 35" bfg all terrains and they are fine now, little slick but... better

M.alex
11-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

:nut:

Those kind of comments really bug me - it's not just your life you're risking if you slide through a stop sign of intersection because your tires arn't right for the conditions.

I just can't believe the number of people I saw the last few days who slide through a turn, into a ditch or curb or parked cars, then get out and stare, thinking 'how'd that happen:confused: '

natejj
11-01-2006, 01:14 PM
I dont suggest MITTENS... I SUGGEST GLOVES!

Winter tires are overrated.... All seasons ftw. If they are decent! But being a new driver, not a bad idea.

And yes, a window scraper is a must.

topmade
11-01-2006, 01:44 PM
1. My car is a new one with all season tires, and it's awd, do I need winter tires?
Winter tires are always better for winter. But AWD and good tread with all seasons should be fine as the roads are generally not too bad with maybe a few days that are bad.

2. Besides -40 window washer fluid and snow brusher, what else do I need in winter? (if only in city).
Lower temp fluid is better because if you use summer washer fluid, it will ice up the window briefly and you won't be able to see anything. Keep a few bags of sand in the trunk to give more traction to the back tires. Keep a small shovel in case you get stuck. Warm blanket, extra jacket, gloves, a few tow truck numbers.

3. what's that anti-freeze engine oil used for? do I need it or should I go to my dealer to install it?
You have a new car, it's not needed, just plug it in and you should be fine. But if you do decide to get it, get it done at the dealership because it's still under warranty.

4. other questions... not sure what I shall ask I am stupid. Common sense, it's not summer, you will need more braking distance to stop. Don't tail gate people. Practice in a parking lot with loosing and regaining control.

zieg
11-01-2006, 01:48 PM
"if I have ABS I don't really need snow tires."

Umm... abs wont help on sheer ice. Or around corners... or on uphill starts...

My first winter was in a trans am with No abs or tc but new snow tires and I did fine.