PDA

View Full Version : Semi-synthetic to synthetic

beyondpinoy
10-30-2006, 08:55 PM
hey guys,

i have a quick question, is it ok for your engine if the oil was changed from semi-synthetic to full synthetic?? or is that bad for the engine?

Supa Dexta
10-30-2006, 09:00 PM
no difference at all really..

beyondpinoy
10-30-2006, 10:58 PM
is it true they are phasing out semi synthetic? because its harder to find them at the stores

hussein
10-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Whats the point of semi synthetic?

sneek
10-30-2006, 11:07 PM
I am really not sure! I know you can mix your own semi synthetic.

for a full synthetic go for M1, Amsoil or RP

VF-1A
11-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by hussein
Whats the point of semi synthetic?

If i was a total cheap ass i would have an answer. But I'm not so sorry.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sneek
[B]I am really not sure! I know you can mix your own semi synthetic.

Yeah. Buy 2L syn and 2L conventional and voila! Semi synthetic.

The only time going full syn is bad is when the engine has had conventional in it for it's whole life. The old seals and gaskets don't like it and you'll be due for some good leaks.

SilverBoost
11-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by VF-1A

The only time going full syn is bad is when the engine has had conventional in it for it's whole life. The old seals and gaskets don't like it and you'll be due for some good leaks.

Apparently that's a myth. I used to believe it as well.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Lots of myths. You can go from dyno, to synthetic and back, you can mix, as long as the weights are the same (10w30 dyno with 10w30 synthetic, etc...) Older engines may leak synthetic when they didn't leak dyno oil because the synthetic can leak through smaller holes from being finer. This is what i've gathered... I could be blowing total smoke out of my ass. You'll know if I'm wrong, because three people will jump on my response saying i'm wrong. :D

Zero102
11-23-2006, 10:00 PM
It's a myth.
Synthetic will leak through slightly smaller holes, but we are talking about sizes on the order of molecules.......
Other than that, synthetics can sometimes dissolve buildups due to them normally having better additive packages.
Basically, if you change to synthetic and it leaks, you had a leak before.

Anyhoo go ahead and switch to a full synthetic, there is no point in running a semi-synthetic.