PDA

View Full Version : New car, long summer

szw
07-17-2002, 09:34 PM
Just letting you guys know whats up.

After many attempts at purchasing a used car which failed for one reason or another (Nissan 200SX Se-R, 2 civic SIR, 3 del-sol, 1 93 Subaru Impreza L, 2nd Gen Talon ESI, and a couple other boring ones I dont' remember right now), I've decided to go new!

I've got a deposit for a sept-build 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V (what a long name).

Anyways, the car should arrive october-early november, and I'm gonna cross my fingers that there are no complications!

jaylo
07-17-2002, 09:38 PM
good luck, they are nice cars, I've seen some around w/ the front grill off and it looks sweet

max_boost
07-17-2002, 09:41 PM
That's a pretty good choice! :thumbsup:

Ferio_vti
07-17-2002, 10:06 PM
Anyone hear about the first batch of Spec-V that had problem with the paint? The smallest amount of chipping and the paint started to peel like crazy. Heard it was a batch defect witht the paint or something...

szw
07-17-2002, 10:11 PM
Yeah I read that too. But to me, it just sounded like whining. The few pictures I saw were not that bad compared to our Subaru Outback, and a few other friends' cars.

And there were a few cases of blown engines...(just a minor problem..hehe).

I'm hoping I can avoid most of the troubles by getting the second production run. Hence..the long summer wait.

Fluidic
07-18-2002, 12:47 AM
Goodluck man... don't you just LOVE ( :love: ) car shopping... LOL

Peter

2K255HP
07-18-2002, 01:12 AM
The paint chip problem is a very common problem within nissan cars now
their paint SUCKS @ss seriously
chips so damn easily
thats why i got the 3m clear bra

It is a major issue that many people are trying to resolve thru Nissan Canada/America but so far no go on it

Ferio_vti
07-18-2002, 08:47 AM
Man, Nissan better get that problem fixed. I'd like to get a Spec-V too. Nice cars should be ruined over something like that.

Speed_RaSiR
07-18-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by szw

After many attempts at purchasing a used car which failed for one reason or another (Nissan 200SX Se-R, 2 civic SIR, 3 del-sol, 1 93 Subaru Impreza L, 2nd Gen Talon ESI, and a couple other boring ones I dont' remember right now), I've decided to go new!

I've got a deposit for a sept-build 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V (what a long name).

Anyways, the car should arrive october-early november, and I'm gonna cross my fingers that there are no complications!

You have to wait till november? OMG, why so long?

szw
07-18-2002, 11:27 AM
Well there are no more 2002's left, all sold.

The 2003's don't start being made until august, but the august-build's are sold. So I'm in-line for a september build. What I do'nt get, is why they dont' start building them right away. Are they takign a vacation or something? Damn mexicans building my car...hehe jk

Apparantly, they are really in demand. I wouldn't know it though, I've only seen one or two on the streets ever.

silvercivicsir
07-18-2002, 02:44 PM
hmm get ready to be beat by Celica's Gt's , not saying it's a bad, car, however you'd think 175 hp and 180 tq would be able to rip a Civic Sir, Celica Gt a new Ass hole, but it seems to be the aother way.. the Civic, and the GT can hold their own considering the Ser, had almost an extra litre of displacement, and an LSD.. and don't forget the crappy ass Red line.. 6K..

2000impreza
07-18-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
hmm get ready to be beat by Celica's Gt's , not saying it's a bad, car, however you'd think 175 hp and 180 tq would be able to rip a Civic Sir, Celica Gt a new Ass hole, but it seems to be the aother way.. the Civic, and the GT can hold their own considering the Ser, had almost an extra litre of displacement, and an LSD.. and don't forget the crappy ass Red line.. 6K..

is that with a good driver or shitty ass one :confused: cause i would imagine the v-spec is pretty quick with a GOOD driver. anyways good choice on car. i'm sure you will love it :love:

4wheeldrift
07-18-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
hmm get ready to be beat by Celica's Gt's , not saying it's a bad, car, however you'd think 175 hp and 180 tq would be able to rip a Civic Sir, Celica Gt a new Ass hole, but it seems to be the aother way.. the Civic, and the GT can hold their own considering the Ser, had almost an extra litre of displacement, and an LSD.. and don't forget the crappy ass Red line.. 6K.. I wouldn't bet on getting beat by many celica GTs, if you actually learn how to drive the car well. Funny how everyone hears someone bragging and all of a sudden its gospel :confused:

celica girl
07-18-2002, 11:20 PM
Nobody was bragging... we just think that the celica GT deserves a little credit... that's all I wanted out of it.

Toms-Celica
07-18-2002, 11:34 PM
Celica's are fast

speedracer
07-18-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
I wouldn't bet on getting beat by many celica GTs, if you actually learn how to drive the car well. Funny how everyone hears someone bragging and all of a sudden its gospel :confused:
:rofl: Amen!

Weapon_R
07-18-2002, 11:39 PM
I've heard of stock SE-r's getting into the 14.9-15.1 mark.

silvercivicsir
07-18-2002, 11:56 PM
14.9- 15.1 in Calgary ? are you Joking me ?? I guess you didn't see the one at the track with Aem intake apex n1 exhaust. best time 16.3 [ don't think he was the worst driver in the world].. There also was some chick in another one that was running just a bit slower.

if that was the case 14.9-15.1 the SER would ripe a New ass hole for EVERY Stock import car [ civics, tegs, Rsx, Celica's, Wrx's EVERYTHING.. and we all know that Engine is totally over rated.

NO way in hell it will run a 14.9

Redlyne_Celica
07-19-2002, 12:35 AM
Well one thing the SE-R's have in common with the Celicas is paint chips easy.

Any SE-R's want to take a run and I am sure Celica_Girl or myself will be happy to oblige. As the number of kills grow so will the respect for our cars.

max_boost
07-19-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

At sea level? Here in Calgary? Those numbers are like bugs bunny numbers haha

speedracer
07-19-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_Celica
Any SE-R's want to take a run and I am sure Celica_Girl or myself will be happy to oblige. As the number of kills grow so will the respect for our cars.

Respect - sounds like a line from FNF :rofl:

No matter how fast your car is there will always be something faster.

So I guess if you lose then people are to lose "respect" for your car or would you blame that on a skilled driver and not the car?

rage2
07-19-2002, 01:19 AM
Well one thing the SE-R's have in common with the Celicas is paint chips easy.

All cars have paint chip problems now, thanks to the tree huggers that forced us to use environmentally friendly paint!

speedracer
07-19-2002, 01:26 AM
Yeah. From 95 and on there has been lots of cases with all makes of cars.

If you have a bra on the car - make sure it is not wet otherwise when it dries on the car the heat will cause moisture to be trapped on the paint (looks like a hazy spot).

lammer
07-19-2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by szw

how much did you have to put a deposit on the Sentra? i've been waiting for a price, just seeing if its a good price range.

4wheeldrift
07-19-2002, 06:59 AM

Straight performance is not everything. The SE-R will destroy you through the twisties, even if MAYBE you can beat it down the 1320.

celica girl
07-19-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by speedracer

Respect - sounds like a line from FNF :rofl:

No matter how fast your car is there will always be something faster.

So I guess if you lose then people are to lose "respect" for your car or would you blame that on a skilled driver and not the car?

In the hands of a capable driver almost any car can be fast... yes there is always something faster but we are just trying to say that the celica has not gotten the credit that it deserves.

szw
07-19-2002, 09:35 AM
Yeah, those numbers are off for calgary. On the forums, most stock ones are mid-high 15's. Anyways, the car had everything I wanted at a good price. I will definately try my best and have a run with you guys tho! All in good fun. (Actually, by october/november there may be snow on the ground!) When do the track's close?

Anyways, I'm not really too interested in drag-racing. Maybe a few times, but I don't really feel like abusing my car with those launches. Of course I may change my mind when I get the car. :D

I'd like to take some driving lessons and hit the auto-x.

szw
07-19-2002, 09:41 AM
Oh yeah, someone asked about the deposit.

Well I put down 500 bucks. You could probably ask for less, as long as they get something (200?) but whatever.

The price on the 2003's isn't even set yet (well not released to the public). It is expected an increase of 2-3% over the 2002 model.

The 2002 model I am looking at costs 22366+gst [MSRP including all taxes (except GST) and fees] I got no deal on the price (kind hard with no price tag yet), but right now I got MSRP with a free set of winter steelies (no tires), and free window tinting.

Once price comes out, I'm gonna try and knock that down a couple hundred or trade-off the tint for some $$.

Redlyne_Celica
07-19-2002, 10:13 AM
I thought I remembers reading in SCC about how the Spec V totally had not lived up tot he claims and they'd dynoed quite lower than the numbers boasted by Nissan, but I could be wrong.

And that's all I meant by the Celica deserves more respect, ppl only see 140hp and don't consider the power to weight ration which is what it's all about with the Celica.

And I would argue about performance through the twisties as well (Tho 4wheeldrift I'm sure you know better than I since that's your forte) but I can say when I seen the spec v's running the course at the westerner they have about 4 times as much roll as a stock Celica, and when you squat the celica down with some better struts it goes nowhere.

szw
07-19-2002, 10:27 AM
Yeah I read a bunch of articles in SCC. They changed their opinion of the car quite a few times.

The Raptor
07-19-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

waaaaa???? hahah... and where did you "hear" this? LOL

Audi Kid
07-19-2002, 02:08 PM
bugs bunny? hahah

speedracer
07-19-2002, 03:15 PM
I'm not even gonna comment on SCC. It's only good for looking up aftermarket equipment.

And that's all I meant by the Celica deserves more respect, ppl only see 140hp and don't consider the power to weight ration which is what it's all about with the Celica.

nothing about handling :D
(Even the power to weight is arguable)

I seen the spec v's running the course at the westerner they have about 4 times as much roll as a stock Celica,

Funny there was no Celica's that day to compare...
For a car that should be given respect you don't see any on the track...:zzz:
(We all know the road course / solo 2 is where it's at)

4wheeldrift
07-20-2002, 09:16 AM

And I would argue about performance through the twisties as well (Tho 4wheeldrift I'm sure you know better than I since that's your forte) but I can say when I seen the spec v's running the course at the westerner they have about 4 times as much roll as a stock Celica, and when you squat the celica down with some better struts it goes nowhere.

yes, there's a lot of body roll in the spec V. But its also very well controlled body roll. Keeping in mind that the Spec V sits a great deal higher than a celica, the body roll is going to be more noticable because of the higher roll center. The Spec V is very well damped in stock condition, and from inside the car it doesn't really feel like its leaning a whole lot. The Spec Vs biggest asset is the limited slip diff, those cars turn in like nothing else, and get the power down extremely efficiently out of the turns too. Since the only celica we ever see running solo 2 is currnetly out of action with a totally screwed front suspension, we won't be able to compare any time soon.

girlRACER
07-20-2002, 03:04 PM
.. such an interesting thread.

Good Choice SZW! I saw the Sentra SE-R at the last car show and I thought it was really nice. I like the little red 'R' badge. So ricey. Yeah, the SE-R is such a good deal for so much horsepower and for a Japanese car. I see many Sentra's but not many SE-R's. I didn't know they were in such demand that you have to wait so long. That is longer than my wait for the SLK which was 3-4 months.

I don't remember the interior much but does it have sporty seats and stuff?

szw
07-20-2002, 03:19 PM
i believe Canada doesn't get as many of the cars as the US as well, that contributes to the extra wait.

hehe, I plan on removing all those "R" badges before someone jacks them and scratches up the cheap paint. hehe

The interior is quite "sporty". Everything is red, the seats are very red (SKYLINE inspired..haha..they like to say that a lot).

I wasn't too fond of the red mesh seats though, a little too flashy. Rumor has it that instead of red/black seats, the 2003's will have silver/black seats. OH yeah, I am also getting a silver, if I didn't mention it before.

Thanks for the comments guys. Hopefully I won't have to put on winter tires right when I get the car!

girlRACER
07-20-2002, 03:30 PM
Yes, I remember now. That's what I liked about the car, the sporty interior...kinda like this Protege5 I saw at the car show with two toned yellow and black seats. I like the red though...I think it's nice.

I wouldn't worry too much about having the "R" badge stolen. I don't think that people will steal it. A long time ago, people always use to rip off BMW badges and Mercedes stars but people don't really do that anymore.

szw
07-20-2002, 03:37 PM
Yea I'm just paranoid. :guns:

I don't expect too much from the car. Its not a sports car, its an economy-performance oriented car. hehe

I love your signature picture girlRacer, everytime I see the black/white part it looks like a sign for a strip-club. :D heh

girlRACER
07-20-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by szw

I love your signature picture girlRacer, everytime I see the black/white part it looks like a sign for a strip-club. :D heh

haha...thanks. I'm not too keen about the picture though. The angle of the pic is so boring. I will have to change that when I take some more pics of my car.
The black and white part reminds me of the silouette of two girls that trucks always put on their car.

szw
07-20-2002, 03:44 PM
haha yep, you should make those girlRACER mudflaps and put those on your car

Shoobs
07-20-2002, 08:37 PM
PUT A PIC OF IT ON THE FORUM

GingeRRRBeef
07-25-2002, 02:49 PM
Hey guys!!!!

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. :clap:

I guess I'm probably the only one here with a SE-R Spec V

But I have been around the sentra forums for quite a long time now.

I thought I should verify a few things.

The Spec V stock will NOT run 14.9 - 15.1. Apparently some guy with a AEM CAI ran 15.1.

2nd thing, the SE-R Spec V is not a drag car. This is apparent by the low redline and the HLSD. This car is a blast to drive in the twisties.

I love whipping around the corners in 2nd, the HLSD just pulls you through the corner and the torque coming out of a corner is awesome.

I got it because for the money, there isn't a better car out there buck for buck.

Anyways .... peace

szw
07-25-2002, 04:37 PM
Welcome to the forum, and nice car:D

Do you happen to work close to the University? (just a thought...always see a silver spec-v there)

That 15.1 with the CAI, was that in Calgary?

GingeRRRBeef
07-25-2002, 09:41 PM
Thanx, I love my car

No I don't work by the University but I know which car you are talking about though. However, I do go to U of C.

and the 15.1 with CAI, it's somewhere down in the states.