PDA

View Full Version : Authentic Chinese Food

brownchild
11-01-2006, 11:45 PM
I need some recommendations for some really authentic Chinese food restaurants, for dine in, or take out. I've only tried the western type of dishes, so im not that experienced in ordering the authentic stuff. Some dishes you guys could possibly tell me would be really helpful also. I'd like to know of dishes containing every kind of meat listed: chicken, pork, beef, duck, and seafood.:drool: Keep it authentic. thanks in advance.

dj_rice
11-02-2006, 12:26 AM
U & Me, Sun Chui Kee, Bobby Chaus

AzN'SKillZ
11-02-2006, 01:07 AM
U and me down town FTW!

nos_efx
11-02-2006, 11:15 AM
I've always found silver dragon to be authentic and tasty at the same time....

Foods not as oily there, I do think the prices are a bit higher then the rest.

Treasures of China in Chinatown, not the one on McCleod, is also a good choice too.

bigboom
11-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by nos_efx
I've always found silver dragon to be authentic and tasty at the same time....

Foods not as oily there, I do think the prices are a bit higher then the rest.

Treasures of China in Chinatown, not the one on McCleod, is also a good choice too.

treasures of china closed down...

nos_efx
11-02-2006, 11:35 AM
:eek: What the?

when the hell did that happen?

I didnt see it on the list of restaurants closed down by health inspectors

GQBalla
11-02-2006, 11:43 AM
it closed down about 2 or 3 weeks ago?

New2Talon
11-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Shanghai Classic up in beddington is pretty good

Try the peking palace pan fried chicken (w/ brocolli)

The one up in T&T is not bad for dim sum. Cant remember what its called, but IIRC owned by same owner as sun chu kee

nos_efx
11-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by New2Talon
Shanghai Classic up in beddington is pretty good

Try the peking palace pan fried chicken (w/ brocolli)

The one up in T&T is not bad for dim sum. Cant remember what its called, but IIRC owned by same owner as sun chu kee

Forbidden palace I think its called, the one beside thats a chinese style cafe is called pebble street

gp36912
11-02-2006, 12:41 PM
i find those places kinda iffy, not the best food ive had.

DC328is
11-02-2006, 12:49 PM
bobby chaos ftw. u and me is only good when you need chinese food at 2 am

Cruz
11-02-2006, 12:57 PM
There used to be a place in Chinatown called Calgary Court. It was straight up, authentic chinese food and the portions were massive. It's been a few years so I'm not sure if it's still there.

rc2002
11-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Ho Won is a great Chinese Restaurant.

rinny
11-02-2006, 01:03 PM
If you want some good food, check out Kam Han in Avenida Mall by Canyon Meadows.

And there is always Dim Sum at the cultural center.

gp36912
11-02-2006, 01:04 PM
i have to find out which restaurant i liked, i can't remember the name atm, and calgary court isn't that good, nor and ho won has dropped in quality over the years.

HRD2PLZ
11-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by rinny
If you want some good food, check out Kam Han in Avenida Mall by Canyon Meadows.

Oh wow... that place is BAD. Went there for lunch the other day with some colleagues :thumbsdow

The rice was like... minute rice :barf:

dennisaur
11-02-2006, 01:55 PM
sun chiu kee ftw:thumbsup:

BoS_DC2
11-02-2006, 04:01 PM
U & Me has some good food.. The fried squid mm. DUrr, it's quite dirty there though..

adam c
11-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Cruz
There used to be a place in Chinatown called Calgary Court. It was straight up, authentic chinese food and the portions were massive. It's been a few years so I'm not sure if it's still there.

ur joking right?

the stories from the place are disgusting

lint
11-02-2006, 04:31 PM

A cockroach shot out of the a/c and landed on my friend's hand when she was eating...

Not like they violate health codes on numerous occasions or anything silly like that

Pihsiak
11-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Lately I've been a fan of this one place on center st right before you go down the center st bridge... located on in a little strip mall
I'm reommending the dinner dishs there like the fried oysters or this orange glazed pork chop
they also serve hot pot, but IMO it is expensive there.

For Hot Pot, Dragon City 3rd floor. (parking is redeemable underneith in evenings)
For 22 bucks you get an all you can eat buffet style hot pot (rows of raw food which you choose and cook at your table) plus a cooked buffet.

So grab some raw stuff, throw it in the water and then grab some cooked stuff to eat while you wait for the raw stuff to cook.

INITIALD
11-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
Lately I've been a fan of this one place on center st right before you go down the center st bridge... located on in a little strip mall
I'm reommending the dinner dishs there like the fried oysters or this orange glazed pork chop

Happy Hill?

FiveFreshFish
11-02-2006, 07:35 PM

I was there for lunch a couple of months ago.

New2Talon
11-03-2006, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Pihsiak

For Hot Pot, Dragon City 3rd floor. (parking is redeemable underneith in evenings)
For 22 bucks you get an all you can eat buffet style hot pot (rows of raw food which you choose and cook at your table) plus a cooked buffet.

So grab some raw stuff, throw it in the water and then grab some cooked stuff to eat while you wait for the raw stuff to cook.

Place on center st is Happy Hill. There is always 5.0 camped out there with their gun aimed down the street :guns: They have some good hot-pot with a GOOD selection of seafood (scallops, oysters, shrimp etc), but then again hot-pot isnt really "authentic" chinese food...

Place in dragon city is Regency.

Didnt the place in the cultural center close down?

dragonone
11-07-2006, 05:52 PM
no good hot pot there
the beef balls i had there couple times had no elastiscity meaning it's not fresh at all
same with dragon city
good hot pot would be something like forbidden city (?) at TNT, they also have good dim sum because they have their own dim sum chef instead of steaming frozen stuff from the distributor (UandMe is okay in this area)

i don't like UandMe, bad atmosphere and well, the cooks are really lazy. i guess you have to know them to know what they're capable of. really, half of that place's business at night is on alcohol servced in tea pots lol. this is the same with lo day fong, i had to go pick my own vegetables so he wouldn't give me giant stalks lol

the most consistent and okay food in calgary would have to be bobby chao's (not the late evening menu), sun chiu kee, and place in TNT. the place on 16ave near the brick (sun sing kee) is okay the first couple times, but eventually u find out that bobby is just better

ur thread asked for authentic, i'm guessing you want good food. anything other than the three/four places i mentioned really doesn't cut it

Team_Mclaren
11-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Sun chu kee FTW, im there like... 2-4 times a week

brownchild
11-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Went to Dragon city, that place was whatever. Whats the address for Sun Chu kee? dish recommenedations would be helpful.

01RedDX
11-08-2006, 08:22 PM

JordanEG6
11-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Gee Gong on center st. is awesome. especially at lunch, it gets packed though. Happy Hill is also up Center St. and is very good.