PDA

View Full Version : Are Trucks getting too big?

rage2
11-02-2006, 11:09 AM
http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/XTFamily/cxt.asp

People are buying these things for personal use? WTF???

speedracer
11-02-2006, 11:21 AM
6 ton towing capacity :D How can you say no?

Tik-Tok
11-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by speedracer
6 ton towing capacity :D How can you say no?

Lol, that's how much it weighs, it TOWS 20 TONS!

pepschnops
11-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Even though I am a truck junkie I would have to side with rage and say that getting a truck that is almost the same dimensions as a tractor trailer for personal use is a bit excessive. The international is a huge truck but i believe their production numbers are fairly limitied. However with that said "to each his own." One more thing to take into consideration is economy, fuel economy on a regular half ton is already poor however i couldn't even imagine what it would be like on the international. I will stick with trucks inbetween 1/2-1 ton.

Nufy
11-02-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm sure some rapper or football player will buy one and get it blinged out.

Then it will be all the rage.

Too freaking big for my tastes. And I'm a truck / suv guy too.

:thumbsdow

sputnik
11-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Trucks are getting too soft.

What happened to the days when you had a truck that you beat the shit out of? It had a benchseat covered in vinyl, rubber mats for carpet and dog dish hubcaps.

Nowadays trucks are more plush than many luxury cars and the boxes almost never get used (except for bringing home a big screen TV).

It would be nice to be able to pick up a brand new stripped down truck with a V8 for $16-18k

snowboard
11-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Those are mostly for camping i thought? hauling monster ass fifth wheels? i cant see anyone driving one of those daily, it would be absurd?

Originally posted by sputnik

What happened to the days when you had a truck that you beat the shit out of? It had a benchseat covered in vinyl, rubber mats for carpet and dog dish hubcaps.

Nowadays trucks are more plush than many luxury cars and the boxes almost never get used (except for bringing home a big screen TV).

It would be nice to be able to pick up a brand new stripped down truck with a V8 for $16-18k

I'm pretty sure you can get a new truck bare bones pretty cheap, just not that cheap haha..

SilverBoost
11-02-2006, 12:21 PM

I totally agree. These days unless its a business write-off, you'd be afraid to use a truck for what a truck used to be used for. (sorry did I say "used" too much?)

But you know what I mean. :)

I've been at a International Dealership in Ontario and in one of those CXTs. It's a pretty amazing truck though for sure. Especially if you have a napolean complex and have to compensate by having the absolute biggest truck on the road.

justincalgary
11-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by snowboard
Those are mostly for camping i thought? hauling monster ass fifth wheels? i cant see anyone driving one of those daily, it would be absurd?

I'm pretty sure you can get a new truck bare bones pretty cheap, just not that cheap haha..

When I was looking for my truck, I seen Advantage Ford had around 5-6 bare bones ford f-150 for sale at $17,900

Would of bought it, but I like my 4x4

bigboom
11-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Nufy
I'm sure some rapper or football player will buy one and get it blinged out.

Then it will be all the rage.

Too freaking big for my tastes. And I'm a truck / suv guy too.

:thumbsdow

karl malone already drives one of these

b_t
11-02-2006, 03:02 PM
there is a 70 year old plus guy in cochrane who drives one of those everywhere, bright yellow. It doesn't fit into a normal carwash or into any parkade. It will not catch on, don't worry.

CasperWho
11-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Those trucks are :bigpimp: !
My neighbour out at the lake, bought his to tow his bay liner

the interior is off the hook!

DC2
11-02-2006, 03:12 PM
ashton kutcher has something like this too.

NickGT
11-02-2006, 03:28 PM

You can still get such a truck if you want. But you'll have to place an order most likely. People want more options I guess..

I've got a 3/4 Ton 2001 GMC Sierra on my driveway right now. Bare bones. AM/FM Radio thats it, Rubber floors, cloth seats (no vinyl i guess hah), manual windows and locks.....

three.eighteen.
11-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by NickGT

You can still get such a truck if you want. But you'll have to place an order most likely. People want more options I guess..

I've got a 3/4 Ton 2001 GMC Sierra on my driveway right now. Bare bones. AM/FM Radio thats it, Rubber floors, cloth seats (no vinyl i guess hah), manual windows and locks.....

:werd: bare bones trucks are extremely difficult to find these days, my dad has to hunt down bare bones f250s from across canada for his fleet

schurchill39
11-02-2006, 10:55 PM
I saw one of these trucks, or something similar, im brooks last year when I was there for a job. Definitly a cool eye catcher but pretty inconvinient I am guessing.

I just bought myself a bare bones truck, definitly a good investment me thinks.

eb0i
11-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by rage2
http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/XTFamily/cxt.asp

People are buying these things for personal use? WTF???

I actually saw one of those trucks a few days ago on 16th Ave Westbound (just before Deerfoot). It was insanely huge! The box looks so ridiculously small on it though. Overall it was ugly and to answer the title...yes trucks are getting way to big.

My dad had a truck like that back when I was young. 1975 GMC I believe. Nothing fancy about it, but damn it was a great truck.

rinny
11-02-2006, 11:22 PM
I think this International truck is nuts! When I lived in Red Deer the radio station there had one and you'd see it all over.

It'd be pretty good for hauling bigger trailers like race car or horse trailers or whatever. Otherwise, I couldnt see it being used for every day usage.

SuPhistiKatEd
11-03-2006, 12:50 AM
WCC CXT

http://www.westcoastcustoms.com/Showroom/viewgallery.php?number=1&car=CXT

Nothing really special, besides ICE.

Still, these trucks are a dangerous weapon if they're in the wrong hands. I think they should restrict people from buying these for personal use/enjoyment. These should be used for companies who actually NEED to use them (ie: Race car transport, Oil Rigs, etc)

BlueGoblin
11-05-2006, 01:00 AM
There have been other threads about these things in the past. What the dealer probably will not tell you is while you may be able to buy one for 'personal use', you are not allowed to use it for personal use in Calgary.

It surpasses the GVW limit set by the Calgary Truck Route Bylaw - 5450 kg by a considerable margin. Because of that, you will not be able to legally store it at your home - even on private property or in a garage - and will be restricted to using it solely on City established Truck Routes. You would only be able to go off truck routes to obtain fuel, to obtain repairs, accommodation at a commercial premise or food at a commercial premise.

Interestingly enough, some of the new full size 1 ton trucks like the F350 are starting to surpass that 5450 kg GVW already. There doesn't seem to be much enforcement against them, but you can bet that something as obnoxious as that International might garner some unwanted attention.

Lexxan
11-05-2006, 01:21 AM
When you're towing a large 5th wheel with a enclosed trailer in vtrain behind it with 6 quads or snow mobiles.. it's nice to have trust me.

RickDaTuner
11-05-2006, 01:31 AM
I've actually seen one of these cruising around this summer, it looked out of place with out its trailer

rage2
11-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by BlueGoblin
There have been other threads about these things in the past. What the dealer probably will not tell you is while you may be able to buy one for 'personal use', you are not allowed to use it for personal use in Calgary.

It surpasses the GVW limit set by the Calgary Truck Route Bylaw - 5450 kg by a considerable margin. Because of that, you will not be able to legally store it at your home - even on private property or in a garage - and will be restricted to using it solely on City established Truck Routes. You would only be able to go off truck routes to obtain fuel, to obtain repairs, accommodation at a commercial premise or food at a commercial premise.
Will the cops go after that though? In California, the Hummer and some other SUV's are over the GVW limit set for residential areas as well, but the law is designed to stop commercial trucks passing thru the areas, and no enforcement on SUV's.

http://www.slate.com/id/2104755/

BlueGoblin
11-05-2006, 04:57 PM
^
I would guess probably not; however, should a neighbour not like it out front or in the driveway and call Bylaw, or if it were stopped by a member of the CPS Truck Unit then it might just end up getting towed away.

The Land Use Bylaw actually prohits parking of trucks with a GVW of more than 4000kg being parked in residential neighbourhoods without a permit, but this goes widely unenforced.

Something as extreme as the CXT might cause those who would ordinarily look the other way to take notice and start applying the bylaw.

I expect an owner would be pretty choked at having dropped the cash on one only to end up the 'pet project' of a bylaw officer.

benyl
11-05-2006, 05:03 PM
There is a guy who lives on the top of Cochrane hill that has one. He bought it because he doesn't want his son to have his money. hahahahahaaha

Vietsta
11-05-2006, 05:03 PM
i think they are
http://www.pcars.us/albums/8000.jpg

ricosuave
11-05-2006, 05:06 PM
trucks have been too big for a while now...

and the vast majority of morons that drive them should be euthanized...

Annoyingrob
11-06-2006, 01:39 AM
Even trucks like the new F150 are too big. Trucks, it seems, have become the new SUV. Their utility purpose has been overshadowed by the desire for suburban types who would like a truck, but would like a truck they can use not as a truck, instead as a luxury daily driver. I mean, look at the hummer, then compare it to the H2, and subsequently, H3.

Ah, my uncle's good ol 65 Ford Ranger. Didn't get much more utility then that. Hit the gas, it wouldn't go, hit the brake, it wouldn't stop. The cab smelt like gasoline, none of the gauges worked, but damn could it haul a half ton of crap like nobody's business.

BigMass
11-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Trucks are already too big. When i try to park in downtown in my parkade in the morning, on one side i have an Avalanche and on the other i have an F350. I dont even know how the fit inside the damn parkade but theyre so big they both take up over 1 parking space and a car that tries to squeeze in between them cant open its doors. Not to mention when youre driving behind one of these behemoths in traffic its like driving behind a brick wall. You cant see shit in front of them. If there is an accident or you need to stop fast youre screwed. Its like driving behind a sky scraper. Annoying to say the least.

If it was 2-3 construction workers hauling fucking lumber or something i could see that, but most people that own these trucks are white collar assholes that use them as daily drivers to the office, never haul anything and never car-pool. Just 1 small dicked idiot driving them for the most part to make up for his... umm.. small dick. Yeah Sally Soccer mom is guilty too because she thinks her 18 wheeler SUV is more "safe" for her kids.

Anyways i believe in personal freedoms, so while i hate it i wouldn’t try and stop someone from having one. But there is a limit when your personal freedom infringes on others in terms of traffic, parking space etc.. And these big ass trucks are getting close.

milesmcewing
11-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Hah! I know I had this somewhere, an old joke picture from a bunch of years ago!

CalgarySupra
11-09-2006, 12:00 PM
nice ! continue killing off the iraqis for more oil for these .

its ironic iraq is full of us "huvees" and they are fighting for the oil to make sure every hummer owner has a full tank back home.

i mena its not just big american trucks in general, its all american cars just poor design, gas guzzelers

i met one guy with a 1991 (old tech) toyota with 420 horse power still geting 30 miles per galon. (turbo too)

civic_stylez
11-09-2006, 01:58 PM
i just cant believe the price of some of these trucks, theres a truck on the lot at advantage ford by my condo and its 8000$ down and 1000$ a month... i mean its a nice truck but hell, for that cash??? for off roading a prefer my '88 cherokee on 35's id does everything i need it to and its puny compared to that trucks on the ford lot...i looked at the new ranger and thats a decent size for a truck IMO...i guess im just a car guy..

rage2
11-19-2006, 10:34 PM
I wonder if this is the cochrane one. Spotted in Crowfoot tonight.

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/misc/bigtruck1.jpg

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/misc/bigtruck2.jpg

benyl
11-20-2006, 01:19 AM
The cochrane one is yellow like that one. I suspect it is the same one.

kevie88
11-20-2006, 09:21 AM
HORRIBLE..

Why is it that on the highway this weekend, the only people that passed me at more than 45+kph over the limit were huge lifted 4x4 trucks?

These things can not stop or turn people!! Doing 160kph in a vehicle that big is just asking to kill someone.

redline
11-20-2006, 09:28 AM
as the owner of a 1/2 ton i would say that they are getting too big at that level also.

I can barely get into my parkade downtown :D

benyl
11-20-2006, 11:37 AM
oh yeah, I think that yellow one also has the option to dump... meaning the box lifts up like a dump truck.

Unloading it would otherwise be a bitch... haha

Graham_A_M
11-22-2006, 11:15 PM
20 ton towing capacity

http://www.geocities.com/ysr80cc/hitit.gif

anybody need your house or 18 wheeler towed? LOL

Lexxan
12-04-2006, 08:25 PM
hahahahaha that yellow truck is hilarious.. Who would want that as a daily driver LOL

silver_gs-R
12-04-2006, 09:00 PM
they are getting way too big, but they are also soooo COOOOOL lol....

:thumbsup:

I wouldnt mind one.

ashee
12-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Basically small semis, haha nice.
I agree with what someone ^^ said about trucks becoming too soft, seems like lately they're focusing on luxury and special features before anything.

The Cosworth
12-05-2006, 11:45 PM
didnt aston kutcher order one of these like 3 years ago?

ashee
12-05-2006, 11:46 PM
That seems like something he would drive, haha.

TorqueDog
01-08-2007, 01:39 AM
Personally, I like the MXT. It's not a DRW like the rest of them, and looks like a vehicle that can really get the job done.

By 'get the job done', I mean empty your wallet in one fell swoop.

johnboy27
01-09-2007, 10:32 AM
There is a red one up in Nisku ,I saw it the other day. The rear wheels are swapped out for huge singles from the stock duals. To drive some of them you will need an air brake certificate at least as some have air over hydraulic systems.

CelicaST-162
01-14-2007, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I wonder if this is the cochrane one. Spotted in Crowfoot tonight.

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/misc/bigtruck1.jpg

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/misc/bigtruck2.jpg

I guess you need a Commericial Vehicle Inspection every year or so to operate these trucks...(Blue sticker in window)