PDA

View Full Version : IS300 Winter Driving Question

4G63Power
11-02-2006, 11:29 AM
These questions are for those that have driven an IS300 during the winter.

How would you rate it's overall handling during the winter? Traction/Handling on steep hills? I'm thinking of purchasing one, but live in area where navigating steep hills is requried to get home and am concerned about the RWD.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

rage2
11-02-2006, 11:33 AM
2 words. Winter tires.

Pee_Sack
11-02-2006, 11:35 AM
+1 word....Studded

pinoyhero
11-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Even with winters the IS300 is crap for some reason. All of the other cars I've had with winters handle far better for some reason.

rage2
11-02-2006, 12:04 PM
I've had no problems at all.

4G63Power
11-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Even with winters the IS300 is crap for some reason. All of the other cars I've had with winters handle far better for some reason.

This is what I've heard too...

BokCh0y
11-02-2006, 12:11 PM

i haven't had any problems. get a good set of winter tires and you won't have any problems. i usually drive mine with the traction control off...i noticed that it's really sensitive and kicks in like crazy and when you have momentum and your car slows down too much...it's tough to get it going again........

other than that the car handles and drives really nice in the snow. i love it.

for winter tires i would suggest buying a set of 16" rav4 steelies and then going with either the Toyo Garit H/T's or the Toyo Snowproxes.

bigboom
11-02-2006, 12:26 PM

i agree...for some reason it just does not drive well in the winter, im not saying its terrible but i think the biggest thing is that it lacks a stability control system and the traction control does little to nothing when the conditions get really bad. but it will definetly get you around safely still, just dont expect it to be great in the winter.

Altezza
11-02-2006, 01:42 PM
This is the 5th winter season I've driven my IS300. No problems at all with a good set of winter tires. I live in a very hilly part of town and I've never got stuck with the winters on. Every winter, I am passing my neighbours who get stuck on the hills by my place. I wouldn't rank the IS300 as the best winter driving car, but with winter tires, I would put it in the top half of all the cars I've had the opportunity to drive in the winter.

lexIS300
11-02-2006, 01:49 PM
winters are a must. they arnt bad in the winter but they arnt great either. sometimes i even slip when there isnt ice on the ground. and i got stuck up a pretty big hill but it was because the idiot in front of me stopped completly and the hill was all ice. nice thing about the car is you have a "snow" button and that helps

hoamic11
11-02-2006, 03:26 PM
"Even with winters the IS300 is crap for some reason. All of the other cars I've had with winters handle far better for some reason.

This is what I've heard too..."

Can those to said their aren't great in the winter time, elaborate why?, is there something they do or what?

C4S
11-02-2006, 08:44 PM
With all season tires .. it was .. just ok ... ( when I was in Edmonton )

With Snowtires, it should be ok .. it doesn't hv great weight dist ... I think 55/45 ?

May be put more stuffs into your trunk as well! ;)

Altezza
11-02-2006, 10:25 PM
53/47 static weight distribution

jberzerker
11-07-2006, 01:28 PM
I had an IS and drove it through 3 winters, I had blizzaks and it was awesome. I have a toyota tacoma and the IS300 was way better in the winter.

alpha_gangsta
11-07-2006, 10:20 PM
IS300 through 3 witners as well, always with snow tires. With the traction control and snow mode for the IS, its been great.
I've driven rwd vehicles through winter for the last 8 years I usually have an AWD SUV or the IS.

CalgarySupra
11-08-2006, 12:25 AM
little off topic but supras generally have a bad rep for winter becasue they generally have summer tires not all season

but even with all season i get great traction.

but i recommand the blizzac ws-50 from tirerack for your lexus.